By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NeoGAF in shambles (now back, no OT discussion, statement from Evilore)

Part of the problem with Neogaf is that people who are committed to games enough to talk about them anonymously on forums, well into their 30s, 40s, 50s, aren't exactly social butterflies. So you would get weird insane arguments about things that don't matter.

If you want an example of how people can talk about politics or the subject matter sanely without vitriol and hatred, just look at something like Americanwx.com or other weather forums.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
Flilix said:

That title

He raises some interesting questions.

Wyrdness said:
Nem said:

I'm confused. You guys obviously know something i don't about relationships.

Did they go like: Oh i like you. I like you too. Can i kiss you? Yeah, sure. 

Did that ever happen? There is just a moment. Sometimes you choose the right moment, sometimes you don't. It doesn't always work, but it comes from an impulse and you either hug/kiss or whatever. But you can't convince me that is not how it works, because it is incredibly awkward otherwise.

He made his move. He wasn't just beeing a creep because if he was he would have stayed in the shower. He left and was resentful, by her own words. You know, when you get rejected, you do get resentful. He obviously thought that there was something there and made his impulsive move. Now, what gave him the feeling that that was the mood, i dunno. But, it is clear to me this wasn't just a "friends" road trip. This was 2 people going on a road trip on the back of her boyfriend from what we gather. She was an accomplice in this. Besides, there was no actual harassment in that situation.

So, i dunno. This situation doesn't look clear at all to me.

As to why he said to ban people that talk about his personal life, i'm sure we can all understand. No one wants their private life in the public square, and it's obvious to me that agendas met the perfect storm.

I think it's wrong to judge this guy in the story presented as far as sexual harassment goes. It is more than obvious that there is more to this story. The verbal abuse, if true, 100% agree, it's despicable because that is intentional. 

The shower scene? Sounds like a misunderstanding to me. 

Alse the guy wasn't holding her job to ransom or anything. Let's keep things in perspective here. 

How can you be confused? Hiku practically laid it out for you if you're unsure and getting mixed messages ask her straight out or do nothing if she says no then there you go confusion dealt with, it's not knowing something you don't it's avoiding situations like what this clown has found himself in.

He barged in naked on the girl when she was drunk and throwing up in the shower that alone raises red flags as anyone in that physical state by default is considered vulnerable, when someone appears to be ill I'm sure the first thought in your head isn't about getting her in the sack.

I also assume you don't waltz in naked on your friends when they're in the shower, as I said earlier if what she claims is true he's a dumbass or always had the intention.

By mixed messages i mean he was getting messages that were clear to him, but she didn't mean to. They were both drinking. Things happened, backfire and stopped. Why or how is this harassment?

In that moment you are feeling the impulse to kiss the girl/guy you like, do you stop and ask: Are you sending me messages or am i imagining things? I dunno. I never saw that happen myself. Though granted, that was one hell of a move.

I do think he is a dumbass, as his reaction revealed shame and regret and why he was resentful. 

Well, i dunno. That is what it sounds like to me. It's possible he is a creep, i don't know him. But it's the interpretation i have of the events.

But, given they did have a relationship after, i really doubt there was nothing there.

I've had my butt grabbed multiple times by women, biceps groped too uninvited. It happens I guess? I wouldn't go to where those women work and demand they be fired.

Soundwave said:

I've had my butt grabbed multiple times by women, biceps groped too uninvited. It happens I guess? I wouldn't go to where those women work and demand they be fired.

Holy crap soundwave! For once, you make sense. xD

Though that is more harassment than what i see in this case. 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Soundwave said:

Like 10x bigger? Seems like there's maybe 2000-3000 posters here, with a good chunk of those not posting much. I'd guesstimate maybe 400-500 peeps that post regularily. Have no idea if that's correct but that's about what it feels like. 

I think about 100 of us post regularly here.

Random stats of last 20 days:

+----------------------+----------+------------+
|                  286 |     1141 | 2017-10-22 |
|                  190 |      473 | 2017-10-21 |
|                  282 |     1028 | 2017-10-20 |
|                  325 |     1269 | 2017-10-19 |
|                  307 |      974 | 2017-10-18 |
|                  321 |     1227 | 2017-10-17 |
|                  276 |     1065 | 2017-10-16 |
|                  303 |     1054 | 2017-10-15 |
|                  242 |      816 | 2017-10-14 |
|                  276 |      945 | 2017-10-13 |
|                  285 |     1094 | 2017-10-12 |
|                  304 |     1439 | 2017-10-11 |
|                  282 |     1130 | 2017-10-10 |
|                  292 |     1169 | 2017-10-09 |
|                  251 |     1140 | 2017-10-08 |
|                  250 |      918 | 2017-10-07 |
|                  289 |     1129 | 2017-10-06 |
|                  314 |     1203 | 2017-10-05 |
|                  326 |     1541 | 2017-10-04 |
|                  274 |     1016 | 2017-10-03 |
+----------------------+----------+------------+
Number of posters, and number of total posts for each day.
For each month this year:
+----------------------+----------+------+
|                  877 |    24199 |   10 |
|                  895 |    28366 |    9 |
|                  939 |    30213 |    8 |
|                  936 |    31156 |    7 |
|                 1075 |    51075 |    6 |
|                  999 |    35183 |    5 |
|                 1007 |    37544 |    4 |
|                 1050 |    41076 |    3 |
|                 1016 |    37880 |    2 |
|                 1144 |    61010 |    1 |
+----------------------+----------+------+
I like random stats...

I figure that january spike was the switch.

TheSource said:
Part of the problem with Neogaf is that people who are committed to games enough to talk about them anonymously on forums, well into their 30s, 40s, 50s, aren't exactly social butterflies. So you would get weird insane arguments about things that don't matter.

If you want an example of how people can talk about politics or the subject matter sanely without vitriol and hatred, just look at something like Americanwx.com or other weather forums.

Oh hey. Didn't know we had to have something like this happen for you to come back.

Bring back the Source Japan Preview!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

VGPolyglot said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I'm interested now. Answer the question, please.

Women make less than men, both on average and by the median:

http://www.businessinsider.com/gender-wage-pay-gap-charts-2017-3

Women are more often victims of sexual assault than men:

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence

First of all, that's not a disparity of rights. One is a choice and the other is a result of criminals being opportunistic and criminals  I think we can all agree violence against women is bad.

The women make less than men argument is really, really flawed. I followed your link, found its source, and looked at how they came to that conclusion, and I can say is I wish people would stop using the dumbest study ever penned. The numbers they use are asinine. Of course men are going to make more on average than women when you don't account for limited hours, child rearing, and difference of job preference. No shit your numbers say women earn less when your study directly compares the salaries of an oil rig worker to a Mary Kay saleswoman.

How many women line up to work in oil fields? Is it men's fault that women don't want to work at oil fields? Is it men's fault that women are physically weaker than men when it comes to intense physical labor, and thus tend to shun more physically demanding labor? No.

Women go to college and graduate at far higher rates than men, so obviously they should make more money overall, right? No, and the reason is twofold:

1) While degrees are up, women getting degrees in useful fields has drastically decreased since the 80's. Instead of getting degrees in computer sciences and engineering, these women are getting degrees in gender studies and liberal arts, which we all know are incredibly valuable skills to have in the marketplace.

2) Relatively few women go into technical or trade schools. Apprenticeships often pay more than your typical college graduate will see, and that's while they're earning their license. For example: Plumbing. In my state, an 18 year old that goes straight to plumbing school, obtains a master's license, works full time, and saves responsibly, can retire a millionaire by the time they're 28. When I was plumbing, apprentices made $17/hour, Master Plumbers made $60/hour. Also, jobs had a minimum 1 hour fee, so even if we were there for <5 minutes, the charge was for an hour. We could rack up 20 hours a day working 9-5 if we got lucky with clogs instead of installations. Women don't want towork in plumbing though.

Needless to say, the choices women make are far more important than their genitalia when it comes to their paychecks. Unless you want to start forcing women to work specific jobs they willingly avoid, that gap will always exist.

If you want to compare a 40 hour paycheck between a man and woman that have both worked 10,000 hours in the same job, in the same time period, then we can talk.

User was warned for ignoring in-thread warning - Aura7541

Gaming content for gamers, by gamers. It's just common sense.

Soundwave said:

It was how he described it that made it clear it was meant to be harassment.

Any one of the incidents regarding EvilLore would not have been enough to bring this down upon him, *especially* if his first reaction to adversity wasn't to suppress anyone who looked at him crossways. But as with the other men who have recently been brought down by these charges, it's always a pattern of behavior (in EvilLore's case, both in being creepy with women and also with compulsively working to make sure that he doesn't have to answer any questions about his behavior with these women).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.