By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NeoGAF in shambles (now back, no OT discussion, statement from Evilore)

Wyrdness said:
Soundwave said:

Like 10x bigger? Seems like there's maybe 2000-3000 posters here, with a good chunk of those not posting much. I'd guesstimate maybe 400-500 peeps that post regularily. Have no idea if that's correct but that's about what it feels like. 

Before it crashed and burned this week Gaf was probably the biggest gaming forum around for reference they ranked 25th in US for online traffic, this is the board that had gaming devs, journalists, analysts and so on amongst their daily users and their now infamous founder was offered $10m to sell the site two years ago.

In the last 3 months they've had like 30m views so they're far bigger than any other gaming board.

25th? Wow, had no idea it was that big. 

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Nem said:

She has a boyfriend and said yes to a road trip with another guy. The two of them it seems. Got drunk with him and was having fun.

I can see how that can be a mixed message. I would just like to hear his side of the story. Even if this was it. He got in the shower with her, wich was clearly a mistake and left once told. I don't see the harassment.

This is not like the Heirnstein guy or whatever he was called where he didn't care about what the woman said and was doing it anyways without giving them a choice. That is harassment.

I go on trips with friends often as well in fact this week a group of us is staying down at Victoria Dock for the London Comic Con doesn't mean we're going there to have sex behind our partner's backs it's just a fun occasion, people also have drinks with each other all the time as well still doesn't mean you can make a move on them. Sorry I don't fully buy the mixed message defence unless he was given a full invite to join her in the shower, if not then he shouldn't be barging in naked to jump in with her especially in this day and age.

This isn't even siding with her or not it's just highlighting that if true he's either a dumbass for doing it with out a full invite or always had the intention of getting more out of her.

Hiku said:

If you feel you're getting mixed signals from someone, you use your words to try to clarify.
What you don't do is barge into their room and hop into their shower butt naked. Don't defend that kind of behaviour. That sounds like some Weinstein shit.

And if he used his authority to try to censor discussion about his behaviour, then that at the very least makes him look more guilty.

Either way, I didn't know much about how the mods behaved over there. But from what Aqua said in regards to how they handled Aqua's account and NPD George, they don't sound like the most reasonable people on earth.

I'm confused. You guys obviously know something i don't about relationships.

Did they go like: Oh i like you. I like you too. Can i kiss you? Yeah, sure. 

Did that ever happen? There is just a moment. Sometimes you choose the right moment, sometimes you don't. It doesn't always work, but it comes from an impulse and you either hug/kiss or whatever. But you can't convince me that is not how it works, because it is incredibly awkward otherwise.

He made his move. He wasn't just beeing a creep because if he was he would have stayed in the shower. He left and was resentful, by her own words. You know, when you get rejected, you do get resentful (and btw it's entirely likely he was drunk aswell). He obviously thought that there was something there and made his impulsive move. Now, what gave him the feeling that that was the mood, i dunno. But, it is clear to me this wasn't just a "friends" road trip. This was 2 people going on a road trip on the back of her boyfriend from what we gather. She was an accomplice in this. Besides, there was no actual harassment in that situation.

So, i dunno. This situation doesn't look clear at all to me.

As to why he said to ban people that talk about his personal life, i'm sure we can all understand. No one wants their private life in the public square, and it's obvious to me that agendas met the perfect storm.

I think it's wrong to judge this guy in the story presented as far as sexual harassment goes. It is more than obvious that there is more to this story. The verbal abuse, if true, 100% agree, it's despicable because that is intentional. 

The shower scene? Sounds like a misunderstanding to me. 

Alse the guy wasn't holding her job to ransom or anything. Let's keep things in perspective here. 

Soundwave said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I gotta say your VGC estimates seem pretty high to me. But yeah, in its prime gaf probably was at least 10x bigger than VGC.

Yeah you're probably right, I think it's more about 300-400 people that post here regularily and some of those are probably alts. I don't mind, just trying to get a scope of what we're talking about. 

How are people even getting all this info if NeoGaf is down? 

There are plenty of website ranking sites.  Here is one:  http://www.statshow.com/

Based on that, it's about 4x bigger than vgchartz.  These are based on guestimates and stuff of many sources, but sounds about right.

Holy shit.
Seems like everyone has sexually assaulted someone. Truly despicable. Crazy.

Before it crashed and burned this week Gaf was probably the biggest gaming forum around for reference they ranked 25th in US for online traffic, this is the board that had gaming devs, journalists, analysts and so on amongst their daily users and their now infamous founder was offered $10m to sell the site two years ago.

Who ranked them that high?  I never seen gaf ranked that high, unless maybe if only in comparison to other gaming sites (which I would expect to be in the top 10).

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
monocle_layton said:

Modern uses of a word doesn't change it in any way. Christianity (and other religions) have known cases of being violent and bigoted, and changes experienced don't change the original message.

Feminism itself simply means equal rights for men and women. Look past the political bullshit. Do you think women shouldn't be treated like garbage? Then you support the #1 and original belief in feminism.

I never entered the discussion about whether women lack certain rights - Polygot did, not me.

I can explain the ideology perfectly fine. I think women always deserve to be given the same chances as me (excluding very few cases), and I'm sure you think similarly. Unless you don't believe in equal rights, then we're both feminists according to the Merriam-Webster definition.

I answered the question, and unlike most people I couldn't give less of a shit about the modern day whackos. I don't waste my time ranting about those 'stupid leftists' or the 'racist conservatives'. I'm not a child, and I'd prefer to discuss a topic without these fucking retarded terms being thrown around. 

Maybe some feminists are rapists or disgusting humans. Ok, what do I do? Should I be against healthcare if some healthcare supporters are terrible people? The original belief of feminism will always be the idea that both sexes should experience equality (or equity). I'm not here to debate whether women are truly equal in the western world or not. I never touched that topic.

Nah, that would be egalitarianism, although that also covers a lot more than just men/women. Feminism no matter how you want to slice it is clearly about females first and foremost, it's literally in the name...

Well, yes. It's clearly about women first. However, if we look at early examples of feminism in the US, it makes perfect sense.

It's not supposed to put men behind. It's simply meant to not leave women in the dust. Saudi Arabia has feminism creeping up, and it is slowly giving them more freedom.

Feminism isn't an issue. It's only an issue when people misinterpret it as women having more advantages exclusive to them. 

Soundwave said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not anymore

But yeah, it was way bigger. Way way way bigger.

Like 10x bigger? Seems like there's maybe 2000-3000 posters here, with a good chunk of those not posting much. I'd guesstimate maybe 400-500 peeps that post regularily. Have no idea if that's correct but that's about what it feels like. 

I think about 100 of us post regularly here.

Nem said:

I'm confused. You guys obviously know something i don't about relationships.

Did they go like: Oh i like you. I like you too. Can i kiss you? Yeah, sure. 

Did that ever happen? There is just a moment. Sometimes you choose the right moment, sometimes you don't. It doesn't always work, but it comes from an impulse and you either hug/kiss or whatever. But you can't convince me that is not how it works, because it is incredibly awkward otherwise.

He made his move. He wasn't just beeing a creep because if he was he would have stayed in the shower. He left and was resentful, by her own words. You know, when you get rejected, you do get resentful. He obviously thought that there was something there and made his impulsive move. Now, what gave him the feeling that that was the mood, i dunno. But, it is clear to me this wasn't just a "friends" road trip. This was 2 people going on a road trip on the back of her boyfriend from what we gather. She was an accomplice in this. Besides, there was no actual harassment in that situation.

So, i dunno. This situation doesn't look clear at all to me.

As to why he said to ban people that talk about his personal life, i'm sure we can all understand. No one wants their private life in the public square, and it's obvious to me that agendas met the perfect storm.

I think it's wrong to judge this guy in the story presented as far as sexual harassment goes. It is more than obvious that there is more to this story. The verbal abuse, if true, 100% agree, it's despicable because that is intentional. 

The shower scene? Sounds like a misunderstanding to me. 

Alse the guy wasn't holding her job to ransom or anything. Let's keep things in perspective here. 

How can you be confused? Hiku practically laid it out for you if you're unsure and getting mixed messages ask her straight out or do nothing if she says no then there you go confusion dealt with, it's not knowing something you don't it's avoiding situations like what this clown has found himself in.

He barged in naked on the girl when she was drunk and throwing up in the shower that alone raises red flags as anyone in that physical state by default is considered vulnerable, when someone appears to be ill I'm sure the first thought in your head isn't about getting her in the sack.

I also assume you don't waltz in naked on your friends when they're in the shower, as I said earlier if what she claims is true he's a dumbass or always had the intention.

jlauro said:

Who ranked them that high?  I never seen gaf ranked that high, unless maybe if only in comparison to other gaming sites (which I would expect to be in the top 10).

Sorry my mistake you're right as 25 is the gaming rank, 654 is the US rank on similar web.

monocle_layton said:
o_O.Q said:

clearly ridiculous?

you made the claim that i need to be a feminist because women do not have equal rights and i to asked you what rights women lack?

why can't you answer such a simple question? that according to you justifies the ideology?

are you starting to see now why i call it an irrational ideology when you can't rationally explain it?

Modern uses of a word doesn't change it in any way. Christianity (and other religions) have known cases of being violent and bigoted, and changes experienced don't change the original message.

Feminism itself simply means equal rights for men and women. Look past the political bullshit. Do you think women shouldn't be treated like garbage? Then you support the #1 and original belief in feminism.

I never entered the discussion about whether women lack certain rights - Polygot did, not me.

I can explain the ideology perfectly fine. I think women always deserve to be given the same chances as me (excluding very few cases), and I'm sure you think similarly. Unless you don't believe in equal rights, then we're both feminists according to the Merriam-Webster definition.

I answered the question, and unlike most people I couldn't give less of a shit about the modern day whackos. I don't waste my time ranting about those 'stupid leftists' or the 'racist conservatives'. I'm not a child, and I'd prefer to discuss a topic without these fucking retarded terms being thrown around. 

Maybe some feminists are rapists or disgusting humans. Ok, what do I do? Should I be against healthcare if some healthcare supporters are terrible people? The original belief of feminism will always be the idea that both sexes should experience equality (or equity). I'm not here to debate whether women are truly equal in the western world or not. I never touched that topic.

"Feminism itself simply means equal rights for men and women. "

yes which is why i asked you to list rights that men have that women do not have

"Do you think women shouldn't be treated like garbage? "

who outside of a very very small amount of people seriously believe women should be treated like garbage?

i mean just stating something like that show you are not thinking rationally

"I think women always deserve to be given the same chances as me"

what chances are you reffering to?

"The original belief of feminism will always be the idea that both sexes should experience equality"

well i'll repeat that the idea that men and women can experience equality of outcomes in a free society is one of the most retarded ideas i've ever been exposed to