By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Making Final Fantasy 15 for PC is '100 times' easier than console version

The game is still terrible tho

Uh huh 39 52.70%

Nuh uh 35 47.30%

Total:74
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Leadified said:

Aren't you the same guy who said they will not play BotW because the Switch is too weak? Shouldn't you be thrilled that a game is offering future-proof settings?

I'm the guy that wants a level of processing power not too weak that the quality of the game is limited and not so powerful that you can't use the settings for many many MANY years, 4K TV's are barely starting to emerge, 8K screens are not going to be around for a very long time yet.

So while the Switch yields IMO too little power at a time (2017) where more power is totally needed with 2K and 4K televisions, a game with 8K settings that would require a super beast of a computer if you wanna play it at 60fps (cause at 10fps, who's gonna care?) means even if you rob a bank to pay for such a computer capable of rendering that game at 8K 60fps, you still can't really enjoy it cause you don't have an 8K screen. Instead of making such a PC version for obviously nobody, why didn't they keep their promise of patching the game to make it playable on PS4 at 60fps instead of the current 30fps? How's working on an 8K version no one can actually see take priority over a 1080p 60fps version on PS4 everyone can totally see?

I don't quite understand why the settings have to conform to what you want, that's not really the point on PC. It's to offer a wide range of settings so anyone from an entry level PC to the most expensive builds can be satisfied. Also as of this year Dell is selling 8K monitors, of course it's not mass market yet but the future is closer than you think.

I also don't see how this is somehow getting in the way of fixing the PS4 version, if anything you should argue that by Square making a PC version in the first place they're taking away the resources to make the PS4 game better.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

If they had to downgrade and remove enough elements from the PS4 version so it could run at a stable 60fps, you wouldn't be able to see anything anyway.

I don't believe that. The PS4 Pro could handle it, especially at 1080p. It does handle other highly complex games at 60fps it's just that optimizing it requires effort from the developers and they are too busy making an 8K version nobody can use.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Leadified said:

Aren't you the same guy who said they will not play BotW because the Switch is too weak? Shouldn't you be thrilled that a game is offering future-proof settings?

I'm the guy that wants a level of processing power not too weak that the quality of the game is limited and not so powerful that you can't use the settings for many many MANY years, 4K TV's are barely starting to emerge, 8K screens are not going to be around for a very long time yet.

So while the Switch yields IMO too little power at a time (2017) where more power is totally needed with 2K and 4K televisions, a game with 8K settings that would require a super beast of a computer if you wanna play it at 60fps (cause at 10fps, who's gonna care?) means even if you rob a bank to pay for such a computer capable of rendering that game at 8K 60fps, you still can't really enjoy it cause you don't have an 8K screen. Instead of making such a PC version for obviously nobody, why didn't they keep their promise of patching the game to make it playable on PS4 at 60fps instead of the current 30fps? How's working on an 8K version no one can actually see take priority over a 1080p 60fps version on PS4 everyone can totally see?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Shaunodon said:

If they had to downgrade and remove enough elements from the PS4 version so it could run at a stable 60fps, you wouldn't be able to see anything anyway.

I don't believe that. The PS4 Pro could handle it, especially at 1080p. It does handle other highly complex games at 60fps it's just that optimizing it requires effort from the developers and they are too busy making an 8K version nobody can use.

You just contradicted your whole argument.

vivster said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Hasn't there actually been a decent amount of Japanese developers that embraced PC quite well this gen?

I heard MGSV on PC was the best version, although I might be wrong on that.

Still, i'm glad to hear this. If it ends up being a great version(which I have no doubt it will, especially with the subtitle "Windows Edition") I might just rebuy it.

It felt more like Japanese devs being forced to go to PC because that's where more money is. I mean if you look at the majority of Japanese games on PC, they're all ported like an afterthought usually with a lot of issues. This is actually the first time I heard a Japanese dev (or any dev) saying how nice developing for PC is.

They're hedging their bets because of the well known shrinking console market in Japan. They're expanding to other options because things aren't great in the old homes. It's a mixed bag for most publishers as far as making any money though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Shaunodon said:

Adding in new resolutions is not the same thing for PC as it is for consoles.  They don't necessarily need to create new assets (they might be, I don't know...but they don't need to) and they don't need to optimize it for existing hardware because very few if any setups are currently capable of running it.  They just need to add in the feature knowing that as systems get better, they will eventually be able to run it.  Future-proofing a game is not a bad thing.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Oh Gee I contradicted myself, worse I just contradicted my WHOLE argument so everything I said and believe in is false, so suddenly the Switch is super powerful (cause I said it is not) and everybody is as of today enjoying an 8K version of FF15 (Cause I said nobody is)...

Ok back to reality: The first rule when making a statement implying someone contradicted themselves is to elaborate, which you did not. The only clue I got from that statement of yours is the part of my text that you made bold and more specifically the word you underlined, so let's see...

"Everyone can see a PS4 version of FF15 at 60fps" since nowadays ALL televisions can run 1080p 60fps because all TV's can refresh at 60hrz, my statement that a 1080p 60fps game could be seen by everybody and therefore developing the game specifically for that should take precedence over something people cannot see such as 8K rendering, is correct.

Sorry, can't find the contradiction: Perhaps if you were more specific? Well I know you can't cause there is no contradiction there, I'm too smart to fall in such a trap but feel free to try anyway

The only thing I see from reading this thread:

Personally, I might buy it on PC when the modders make the main characters hot girls. It is interesting that the claims of "Oh, but pc is so hard to develop for due to so many configurations" continues to be nonsense.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Shaunodon said:

Oh Gee I contradicted myself, worse I just contradicted my WHOLE argument so everything I said and believe in is false, so suddenly the Switch is super powerful (cause I said it is not) and everybody is as of today enjoying an 8K version of FF15 (Cause I said nobody is)...

Ok back to reality: The first rule when making a statement implying somone contradicted themselves is to elaborate, which you did not. The only clue I got from that statement of yours is the part of my text that you made bold and more specifically the word you underlined, so let's see...

"Everyone can see a PS4 version of FF15 at 60fps" since nowadays ALL televisions can run 1080p 60fps because all TV's can refresh at 60hrz so my statement that a 1080p 60fps game could be seen by everybody and therefore developing the game specifically for that should take precedence over something people cannot see such as 8K rendering, is correct.

Sorry, can't find the contradiction: Perhaps if you were more specific? Well I know you can't cause there is no contradiction there, I'm too smart to fall in such a trap but feel free to try anyway

I'll keep it simple:

Your argument-- making it 8k on PC which no one (your exaggeration for the few tech geeks who can afford it) will be able to play it on is a mistake, and instead they should make it 60fps for everyone (your exaggeration for the PS4 playerbase).

You then update your statement by clarifying it'll only be the PS4 Pro (the small minority of the PS4 base) who will actually be able to run it at 60fps, therefore killing the whole reason for your crusade in the first place.

Leadified said:

I don't quite understand why the settings have to conform to what you want, that's not really the point on PC. It's to offer a wide range of settings so anyone from an entry level PC to the most expensive builds can be satisfied. Also as of this year Dell is selling 8K monitors, of course it's not mass market yet but the future is closer than you think.

I also don't see how this is somehow getting in the way of fixing the PS4 version, if anything you should argue that by Square making a PC version in the first place they're taking away the resources to make the PS4 game better.

Settings must conform to what I want because I'm the freaking center of the universe and what I want is what matters. That and nothing else...

Ok I can sense that you are not happy with my answer so let me rephrase in a less selfish manner.

It's not about what I want, it's about the norms and 2K going to 4K is the current norm, therefore conforming to those established standards seems to be the correct way to do it. Undershooting with the Switch and overshooting with an 8K version of the game seems like they are missing the point. IMO of course.

Hmm... No, I can't go that way, I'm sticking with my selfish rejoinder, It makes me feel happier.

Shaunodon said:

I'll keep it simple:

Your argument-- making it 8k on PC which no one (your exaggeration for the few tech geeks who can afford it) will be able to play it on is a mistake, and instead they should make it 60fps for everyone (your exaggeration for the PS4 playerbase).

You then update your statement by clarifying it'll only be the PS4 Pro (the small minority of the PS4 base) who will actually be able to run it at 60fps, therefore killing the whole reason for your crusade in the first place.

Except I NEVER SAID it will only be on the PS4 Pro, I just said the Pro can handle it. That does not preclude the base PS4 from doing it too. There are other games that run at 60fps on the base PS4. I'm assuming a patch would allow to tone down some effects on the base PS4 to allow 60fps whereas on the Pro you'd get the full thing running unrestrained as the extra power should allow it.

You're making this too easy for me so let me roll with what you assumed: let's say I said the base PS4 can never handle 60fps with this game, just for argument's sake. The main point still stands: why spend resources on developing a game in 8K 60fps which only a monster of a PC can handle, that alone makes those who own such machine a very small minority and on top of that the ONLY 8K screen out there that has a huge price tag cause it's new stuff and it's 8K and it's 32" ONLY which kind of defeats the puprose of it being 8K as you don't really enjoy such a count of pixels on such a small screen. But let's roll with that. Why prioritize that version which virtually nobody will be able to enjoy when lots more people can enjoy it on the PS4 Pro (1 in 5 new PS4 purchases and that's way more than those who got the beast PC with that 8K screen to enjoy the 8K version) and with the low price tag of a PS4 Pro anyone who cares to see the game at 60fps can simply buy the Pro.

Oh boy!