By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Making Final Fantasy 15 for PC is '100 times' easier than console version

The game is still terrible tho

Uh huh 39 52.70%

Nuh uh 35 47.30%

Total:74
Mar1217 said:
It's all about that fishing game bro !

Do we know if that is coming to the PC?

Around the Network

If you don't pay any attention to actual optimization than I guess it's very easy indeed. Won't be surprised if the game ends up being 100gb and only working optimal on the most powerful PCs.

"We’re doing stuff to cater to the PC audience and we hope that by appealing to what they’re used to, that’ll bring them into the franchise and make them into fans of Final Fantasy."

Who suggested this this?
Square Enix, find the guy who made this happen and fire them.
Unless there are plans to add VR support to the game.

Its easier because the game is already out like who port skyrim and gta v to ps4 and xbox one and mario kart 8 for switch were very easy ports and didnt cost that much because the source was already there

xboxonefan said:

Its easier because the game is already out like who port skyrim and gta v to ps4 and xbox one and mario kart 8 for switch were very easy ports and didnt cost that much because the source was already there

He says they had to tweak the game and engine for console a lot more than for the PC version. So the PC version isn't a straight port from the console version but rather a separate port from the base engine. They probably took some knowledge they gained from the console version but it sounds like massive tweaks weren't necessary anyway.

Or in short, the console version was not the source of the PC version.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

This is misleading. It sounds like they're saying it's easier because the game and the groundwork has already been done, and all that's left is porting it all.

As someone who followed the development of this game rather closely, I can tell you the bottlenecking on console was a pretty huge deal.

It took them a long time to get the framerate at a point where it could be considered playable.

vivster said:
xboxonefan said:

He says they had to tweak the game and engine for console a lot more than for the PC version. So the PC version isn't a straight port from the console version but rather a separate port from the base engine. They probably took some knowledge they gained from the console version but it sounds like massive tweaks weren't necessary anyway.

I'm sorry vivster but that's not what they're saying at all.  That's not how video games work. THere's no "base engine version" of a game. They might have used a more stock, non-console optimized version of their engine, and modified modified that to to work on PC and added some PC-specific enhancements, instead of removing console-specific enhancements from a console-specific engine.  But that's it.

The game itself? They 100% did port the console version, because there's no reason no to. The game interacts with the game engine which translates the game commands into hardware instructions to process those game commands. Because of this, the console game itself would only require slight tweaks in terms of things like controls, networking and graphics to be able to run well on PC.  The engine itself though in terms of how it takes those game commands and feeds it to the hardware, that's where the real work lies, and fortunately since console hardware is so similar to PCs, making these modifications have been easier than ever..

TL;DR: Console game port, yes. Console engine port, no.

vivster said:
xboxonefan said:

Hmm, it still adheres to 8th gen design.
The PC version is like a next gen remaster of the base game, with some extra features.

I do like the improved grass, though I feel BotW does it better.

Knowing Square, they needlessly developed a completely new version of the game from the ground up for PC. That's how they think ports are done.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.