By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Making Final Fantasy 15 for PC is '100 times' easier than console version

The game is still terrible tho

Uh huh 39 52.70%

Nuh uh 35 47.30%

Total:74

Oy vey

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Leadified said:

I don't quite understand why the settings have to conform to what you want, that's not really the point on PC. It's to offer a wide range of settings so anyone from an entry level PC to the most expensive builds can be satisfied. Also as of this year Dell is selling 8K monitors, of course it's not mass market yet but the future is closer than you think.

I also don't see how this is somehow getting in the way of fixing the PS4 version, if anything you should argue that by Square making a PC version in the first place they're taking away the resources to make the PS4 game better.

Settings must conform to what I want because I'm the freaking center of the universe and what I want is what matters. That and nothing else...

Ok I can sense that you are not happy with my answer so let me rephrase in a less selfish manner.

It's not about what I want, it's about the norms and 2K going to 4K is the current norm, therefore conforming to those established standards seems to be the correct way to do it. Undershooting with the Switch and overshooting with an 8K version seems like they are missing the point. IMO of course.

No, I can't go that way, I'm sticking with my selfish rejoinder, It makes me feel happier.

First, lay off the sarcasm.

Second, the problem with your norms argument is that what Square is doing is the norm on PC. It's common for new games to offer settings meant only for the strongest and most expensive PCs such as 8K. But this isn't a problem because no one is forced to play at 8K, as easily as Square can make high end settings they can also make settings for low end PCs or in the middle for 1080p or 4K.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Leadified said:

I don't quite understand why the settings have to conform to what you want, that's not really the point on PC. It's to offer a wide range of settings so anyone from an entry level PC to the most expensive builds can be satisfied. Also as of this year Dell is selling 8K monitors, of course it's not mass market yet but the future is closer than you think.

I also don't see how this is somehow getting in the way of fixing the PS4 version, if anything you should argue that by Square making a PC version in the first place they're taking away the resources to make the PS4 game better.

Settings must conform to what I want because I'm the freaking center of the universe and what I want is what matters. That and nothing else...

Ok I can sense that you are not happy with my answer so let me rephrase in a less selfish manner.

It's not about what I want, it's about the norms and 2K going to 4K is the current norm, therefore conforming to those established standards seems to be the correct way to do it. Undershooting with the Switch and overshooting with an 8K version of the game seems like they are missing the point. IMO of course.

Hmm... No, I can't go that way, I'm sticking with my selfish rejoinder, It makes me feel happier.

You don't seem to understand that they're not making an "8k version" of the game.  They just open up the resolution options so you can put it at that resolution if you want (or any number of resolutions).  Not upscaled.  But natively rendered.  Which is what's been going on in the PC space for more than 20 years.

Leadified said:

Second, the problem with your norms argument is that what Square is doing is the norm on PC. It's common for new games to offer settings meant only for the strongest and most expensive PCs such as 8K. But this isn't a problem because no one is forced to play at 8K, as easily as Square can make high end settings they can also make settings for low end PCs or in the middle for 1080p or 4K.

Hey I paid for the right to be cynical and sarcastic. I was born without consenting to it. If I can't rip on this cancer that is mankind, what am I to do of my days on earth?

And as for the norm on PC, I disagree. First 8K 60fps systems are not even for the minority, it is for the minority's minority. There are so few people with the right hardware at home that the word "minority" is not strong enough. therefore it is totally NOT the norm, as you put it.

The norm is getting towards 4K on PC and I'm not even sure it's fully there yet, there are still lots of people that game on 2K PC's.

And I cannot say for sure but I would be very surprised if as you say it is COMMON to have 8K settings on PC Games, I could be wrong, I don't game on PC so I don't know but when you say common, I picture in my head, Candy Crush, Limbo, Pac Man as well as Star-Wars offering an 8K option on PC which would justify the line "8K on PC games is common". I strongly doubt that. I might be wrong but I'd be curious to see a screen capture of, say the setting menu of Candy Crush with an option there that says 8K.

But I'll say this: As a proof of concept, I don't mind an 8K version of FF15 on PC or any other game. All I'm saying is maybe they should try to bring a 60fps version of the game on the PS4 first as the hardware is there, the TV's capable of that are there too, the price tag of the Pro is low and affordable for a lot of people so doing this would strike me as logical, at least I think so.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Leadified said:

Hey I paid for the right to be cynical and sarcastic. I was born without consenting to it. If I can't rip on this cancer that is mankind, what am I to do of my days on earth?

And as for the norm on PC, I disagree. First 8K 60fps systems are not even for the minority, it is for the minority's minority. There are so few people with the right hardware at home that the word "minority" is not strong enough. therefore it is totally NOT the norm, as you put it.

The norm is getting towards 4K on PC and I'm not even sure it's fully there yet, there are still lots of people that game on 2K PC's.

And I cannot say for sure but I would be very surprised if as you say it is COMMON to have 8K settings on PC Games, I could be wrong, I don't game on PC so I don't know but when you say common, I picture in my head, Candy Crush, Limbo, Pac Man as well as Star-Wars offering an 8K option on PC which would justify the line "8K on PC games is common". I strongly doubt that. I might be wrong but I'd be curious to see a screen capture of, say the setting menu of Candy Crush with an option there that says 8K.

But I'll say this: As a proof of concept, I don't mind an 8K version of FF15 on PC or any other game. All I'm saying is maybe they should try to bring a 60fps version of the game on the PS4 first as the hardware is there, the TV's capable of that are there too, the price tag of the Pro is low and affordable for a lot of people so doing this would strike me as logical, at least I think so.

Strawman argument, I said settings are the norm not systems.

Sorry I don't have any Pac-Man to show off, I hope some modern games will do. Here's some PC games in 8K, enjoy!

Around the Network

Who knew, actually making a game requires more effort than simply porting it. Especially a game that was almost a decade in development hell, went thru different engines and was almost completely rewritten.

Leadified said:

Sorry I don't have any Pac-Man to show off, I hope some modern games will do. Here's some PC games in 8K, enjoy!

Fine, settings then. But that makes it all even less logical. As long as systems supporting 8K are NOT the norm, there is no point in making 8K settings as anything more than a proof of concept, which is fine but don't call it the norm cause without the systems (hardware) being also the norm, calling the settings the "norm" is kind of an empty statement.

It's as if I had an 8K setting on my PS4 and I said: For us PS4 gamers, 8K gaming is the norm... See? Empty statement. If there was an 8K setting on my PS4, my empty statement would technically be correct, but totally pointless as the hardware cannot render that high.

And thank you for those videos of 3 games in 8K but while it's nice as a proof of concept, what happens in those 3 videos is not the norm, it's the exception.

Oh and sadly I cannot see those videos in 8K, as my computer screen is only capable of rendering in 4K.

So to summarize this debate: They are making a proof of concept option for FF15 that allows to play it at 8K, I call them on the fact they should make a 2K 60fps version for people with a PS4 first and you guys call me on it cause why again? It is unreasonable or illogical or wrong of me to think that in 2017 a 2K 60fps version of the game on PS4 should be made first? Is that the gist of it?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Leadified said:

Fine, settings then. But that makes it all even less logical. As long as systems supporting 8K are NOT the norm, there is no point in making 8K settings as anything more than a proof of concept, which is fine but don't call it the norm cause without the systems (hardware) being also the norm, calling the settings the "norm" is kind of an empty statement.

It's as if I had an 8K setting on my PS4 and I said: For us PS4 gamers, 8K gaming is the norm... See? Empty statement. If there was an 8K setting on my PS4, my empty statement would technically be correct, but totally pointless as the hardware cannot render that high.

And thank you for those videos of 3 games in 8K but while it's nice as a proof of concept, what happens in those 3 videos is not the norm, it's the exception.

Oh and sadly I cannot see those videos in 8K, as my computer screen is only capable of rendering in 4K.

So to summarize this debate: They are making a proof of concept option for FF15 that allows to play it at 8K, I call them on the fact they should make a 2K 60fps version for people with a PS4 first and you guys call me on it cause why again? It is unreasonable or illogical or wrong of me to think that in 2017 a 2K 60fps version of the game on PS4 should be made? Is that the gist of it?

Imagine if you had a game from the 90s that had it's resolution locked to say 240p, if you were to replay this game in 2017 at 4K then it would be a mess. By offering options to increase your resolution to beyond what is currently "the norm" you prevent this from becoming an issue in the first place.

It's the norm for developers on PC to offer options like this for the past 20 years at least, these are basic resolution options. A norm is: "Something that is usual, typical, or standard.", is offering variable options, including high resolutions, a norm on PCs? Yes of course it is. Having 8K resolution settings available is a norm, using those settings is not the norm. Do you understand the difference?  You're making an apples to oranges comparison here by trying to marry your average PC hardware to the norm of PC settings, this doesn't make any sense.

It is unreasonable and illogical to believe that somehow making resolution settings on the PC version is taking away from the PS4 version of the game, this is why in my first reply to you that you might as well complain that a PC version exists in the first place, at least that has some more ground to your argument.

You were called out for your opposition to PC settings, trying to spin this into people being opposed to a 60 FPS version on PS4 is frankly dishonest and admittance that you have lost this argument. You've also asked for proof of PC games running in 8K, for some reason you asked for Limbo so I gave you Skyrim (as one of the videos) which is much more popular and a relatively modern game, which should justify what you said as "8K on PC games is common". But you then reject this and say it's an exception, I'm sorry but if you can't concede, even the most minor point when you are proven wrong then there is no reason to have a debate with you.

Have a good day.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Leadified said:

Aren't you the same guy who said they will not play BotW because the Switch is too weak? Shouldn't you be thrilled that a game is offering future-proof settings?

I'm the guy that wants a level of processing power not too weak that the quality of the game is limited and not so powerful that you can't use the settings for many many MANY years, 4K TV's are barely starting to emerge, 8K screens are not going to be around for a very long time yet.

So while the Switch yields IMO too little power at a time (2017) where more power is totally needed with 2K and 4K televisions, a game with 8K settings that would require a super beast of a computer if you wanna play it at 60fps (cause at 10fps, who's gonna care?) means even if you rob a bank to pay for such a computer capable of rendering that game at 8K 60fps, you still can't really enjoy it cause you don't have an 8K screen. Instead of making such a PC version for obviously nobody, why didn't they keep their promise of patching the game to make it playable on PS4 at 60fps instead of the current 30fps? How's working on an 8K version no one can actually see take priority over a 1080p 60fps version on PS4 everyone can totally see?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1324922-REG/dell_up3218k_ultrasharp_32_ultra.html
You can buy 8k screens.
You can play games at 8k even on mortal hardware.
My 1080Ti can play Shadow Warrior 2 at 8k30 (same framerate as the console version), Thumper at 8k 8xMSAA 120 FPS, Mario Kart 8 8k50.
These are just some games I have tested, plenty of older games could run at 8k no problem.

Allowing an 8k option is something that would take 1 - 3 devs working for a day or two at max.
A PS4 version that runs at 60FPS would take a lot of work, Square Enix would likely have to splice in elements of the pocket edition to get it to work.
A 60FPS option would take weeks of QA, and development, but 8k is not too much harder than flipping a switch.

Essentially what the thread is right now

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850