By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 25th Sept. - 1st Oct 2017

Switch is at around 1.8m in Japan curently, it will hit 2m almost certain at end of this month.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Game of the generation aka Knack 2 is off the charts. You could say it's in uncharted territory. Truly incredible performance.

Did it already release in Japan? As much as I enjoyed Knack 2, you have to wonder what Sony were thinking when they decided to make a sequel. They could have rebooted Ape Escape or something that at least people would have bought. 

Nice numbers for Switch

Debut for FE Warriors is pretty low, but that was what I expected

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:

Fair to say that more from was expected from FE Warriros considering it's simultaneous launch on two much more popular platforms than Wii U (and it's not like Fire Emblem and Zelda are that different in popularity).

Meh at best for all of the debuts this weeks imo.

Fire Emblem's high points in sales are on a similar level as Zelda's low points. There's quite a difference between the two. Switch installed base is similar to Wii U's installed base when Hyrule Warriors launched, the 3DS version of a Warriors game is heavily scaled down, so a higher installed base doesn't matter much. It's obvious that the Switch version is a much better game, so it beating the New 3DS version shouldn't surprise anyone.

The overall number of units sold doesn't matter that much with these smaller games. The Switch has actual excitement and a hungry user base (and the console is still sold out in Japan), so you'd expect a far better result on Switch than Wii U, all else equal.

The only other thing I'd note is that I would think that FE would be more appealing as a Musou title than Zelda. The target market for FE is far more similar to other Musou tie-ins.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Mnementh said:
TruckOSaurus said:

All non-dead consoles are getting a boost. Although overshadowed by the big Switch boost, the PS4 saw a great increase this week as well.

• Switch – 73,231 (43,426) + 68.63%
  • PlayStation 4 – 29,369 (23,814) + 23.33%
  • 3DS – 20,321 (19,272) + 4.98%
  • PlayStation Vita – 3,732 (3,707) +0.64%
  • Xbox One – 71 (76) - 6.58%
  • Wii U – 68 (56) + 21.43%
  • PlayStation 3 – 64 (87) - 26.44%
  • LOL, WiiU gets a similar boost to PS4. Not that it matters, five people can skew this statistics a lot for WiiU.

Yeah I add the percentages for the Xbox One, Wii U and PS3 for completion sake more than anything.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
    outlawauron said:
    RolStoppable said:

Fire Emblem's high points in sales are on a similar level as Zelda's low points. There's quite a difference between the two. Switch installed base is similar to Wii U's installed base when Hyrule Warriors launched, the 3DS version of a Warriors game is heavily scaled down, so a higher installed base doesn't matter much. It's obvious that the Switch version is a much better game, so it beating the New 3DS version shouldn't surprise anyone.

The overall number of units sold doesn't matter that much with these smaller games. The Switch has actual excitement and a hungry user base (and the console is still sold out in Japan), so you'd expect a far better result on Switch than Wii U, all else equal.

The only other thing I'd note is that I would think that FE would be more appealing as a Musou title than Zelda. The target market for FE is far more similar to other Musou tie-ins.

I'd say the Fire Emblem characters and setting lend themselves better as a Warriors game than for Zelda but gameplay wise there's a bigger jump from tactical RPG to Musou than from sword fighting combat of Zelda to Musou.

Signature goes here!

eh thats fine for warriors since the switch install base isn't even as big as the wii U's when HW launched.

Entropio said:

Is the Switch stock increase expected to be permanent, or Nintendo has increased the distribution temporarily?

We'll see next week, though my guess would be that they increased the Shipment thiy week because of FE warriors release. I'd expect it back to ~ 50k next week. Unless it has one of those horrible '20k after a big week' weeks, but I hope not.

OTBWY said:
    Great numbers for the Switch. What made Splatoon 2 jump higher this week?

Greater Switch supply. MKD, BOTW and Splatoon 2 are all up 30%+.

RolStoppable said:
    outlawauron said:

Fair to say that more from was expected from FE Warriros considering it's simultaneous launch on two much more popular platforms than Wii U (and it's not like Fire Emblem and Zelda are that different in popularity).

Meh at best for all of the debuts this weeks imo.

It is also New 3DS only release, wich limits installbase. Even people that picked up Hyrule Warriors for 3DS and liked it, will probably not pick up a New 2DS/3DS just for FE warriors.

Add to that that the roster of the game is very unbalanced and extremely skewed towards Awakening and Fates, while the HW roster was more balanced and more of a love letter to the Zeld franchise as a whole and you have a game with more limited appeal on a more limited install base.

OT: After having no bumb for Pokken Deluxe I didn't really expect one this week either. Nintendo sure keeps me on my toes with Swich supply. I wonder if they shipped 75k and sold out or 80k and are finally meeting demand a little better.

Boutros said:

Trails is a bit low but then again it's the third entry in a subseries of games that were on different platforms. I don't know of many third entries in a JPRG franchise that saw its sales go up. There was no way it didn't see a drop in sales. I am curious however to see how a new main entry Legend of Heroes would do on the PS4. Maybe we'll see it or maybe we won't. I guess it depends on western sales.

Arguably, Sen III is the most main-entry Trails game ever. I mean, it brings together a load of characters from all the different sub-series and pushes the overall plot forward for the first time in yonks.

Don't really know why they decided to go the Sen III route with it to be honest. I suppose because it's not Calvard they don't really want to start a new sub-series.

Falcom can see the problems they created to themselves : Sen no Kiseki 3 lost the vast majority of handheld players. I was of 120K as decent result, so this is clearly underperforming despite probably good digital sales.

Not good for Compile either. The week was difficult for Moero CP, but 10K brings them back to Omega Quintet lows in 2014. There again and taking into account the Neptunia mismanagement this year, the home console strategy leads straight in the wall. They must find some balance between Vita and PS4, Tokyo Clanpool clearly isn't an effort great enough. 

Last but not least, consider that FE Warriors sold less on a booming new system and a 22m user-base system than Hyrule Warriors on the unpopular WiiU alone. FE is at the top of its popularity since Fates, so all that should tell you how bad it did. KT obviously made a bad deal handing over nearly all its games to Switch (ruining Nights of Azure 2 in the process) in exchange of 60K. Let's hope Atelier doesn't suffer from this alliance like NoA2 did.

The 2nd observation I would like to do is that data increasingly points to a clear audience problem on Switch : Switche... eh I mean Switch owners keep avoiding 3rd parties and JRPGs, while tirelessly buying Splatoon, Mario and the likes. Xenoblade 2, Lost Sphear are not in COMG either so it might be Wii/WiiU situation all over again, or maybe worse.