By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 25th Sept. - 1st Oct 2017

Awesome week for Switch.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
outlawauron said:

The overall number of units sold doesn't matter that much with these smaller games. The Switch has actual excitement and a hungry user base (and the console is still sold out in Japan), so you'd expect a far better result on Switch than Wii U, all else equal.

The only other thing I'd note is that I would think that FE would be more appealing as a Musou title than Zelda. The target market for FE is far more similar to other Musou tie-ins.

I'd say the Fire Emblem characters and setting lend themselves better as a Warriors game than for Zelda but gameplay wise there's a bigger jump from tactical RPG to Musou than from sword fighting combat of Zelda to Musou.

That's all I was trying to say. People want to play as their favorites characters. Games with such a wide cast are far more suited to this type of game than a series that has a handful of memorable characters.

RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:

The overall number of units sold doesn't matter that much with these smaller games. The Switch has actual excitement and a hungry user base (and the console is still sold out in Japan), so you'd expect a far better result on Switch than Wii U, all else equal.

The only other thing I'd note is that I would think that FE would be more appealing as a Musou title than Zelda. The target market for FE is far more similar to other Musou tie-ins.

All else is not equal though, so expecting a better result doesn't make sense.

And no, Fire Emblem isn't better suited for Warriors gameplay than Zelda. A change from turn-based strategy to real time combat is a much bigger leap than real time to real time.

EDIT: Looked up what VGC has for Hyrule Warriors' first week: 72k. That's worse than I remembered.

VGC numbers tend to be an average of Media Create and Famitsu, so they are credible enough.

You misunderstand me. I said that FE would be more appealing as a Musou title. Not that it was any closer gameplay wise. Fire Emblem's widened appeal almost entirely due to the characters and art of the new games. The target audience of the two games is quite different, so I don't think it's a reach to expect that a more niche/enthusiast crowd would be interested in this type of spin off.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soooooooo...

Where is Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite? Should Capcom seriously consider pulling support for Sony hardware at this point?

I mean, I see people saying EA will be pulling support for Switch so it seems fair to ask this question.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:

You misunderstand me. I said that FE would be more appealing as a Musou title. Not that it was any closer gameplay wise. Fire Emblem's widened appeal almost entirely due to the characters and art of the new games. The target audience of the two games is quite different, so I don't think it's a reach to expect that a more niche/enthusiast crowd would be interested in this type of spin off.

I don't see it. Neither how Fire Emblem fans would be much more likely to buy Musou than Zelda fans, nor how Fire Emblem's widened appeal is based on characters and art. The latter is the result of a bigger marketing push than ever before coupled with more accessibility (permadeath can be turned off).

I see it. I think Fire Emblem Warriors could have been way more successful had it appealed to a broader FE audience(mainly in the west though). It's almost entirely a Fates/Awakening game when the fact is that Fire Emblem is a series where the fanbase is fairly split. It's simply a series where each entry specializes at certain things and there is a niche for each game. It's not like most franchises where the sequels are homogeneous and the fans pretty much just think of the games as one complete timeline. It's a series split between different themes, characters, and events. It's one of those franchises that really excels because of how different each game represents itself. 

FE Warriors is simply way more poinent as a concept than Hyrule Warriors. Especially because A ) how much it changes up the Musuo formula and B ) It is based on a franchise entirely about characters

Oh, it's a shame that Trails of Cold Steel 3 couldn't do 100k. DQXI on PS4 isn't in the top 20 anymore.
Dat Switch slayage, it did more than the others combined.

Around the Network

Poor ARMS. :(
I wished it had better legs

So, does that mean that the stock issue is over worldwide?

RolStoppable said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I see it. I think Fire Emblem Warriors could have been way more successful had it appealed to a broader FE audience(mainly in the west though). It's almost entirely a Fates/Awakening game when the fact is that Fire Emblem is a series where the fanbase is fairly split. It's simply a series where each entry specializes at certain things and there is a niche for each game. It's not like most franchises where the sequels are homogeneous and the fans pretty much just think of the games as one complete timeline. It's a series split between different themes, characters, and events. It's one of those franchises that really excels because of how different each game represents itself. 

FE Warriors is simply way more poinent as a concept than Hyrule Warriors. Especially because A ) how much it changes up the Musuo formula and B ) It is based on a franchise entirely about characters

I don't see that either. Zelda has a split fanbase all the same. Fire Emblem is not entirely based on characters; older entries have been met with complaints that the characters might as well have come out of a random generator and it wouldn't have made a difference, because the majority of support conversations wouldn't unlock by playing the games normally.

Besides, if we assumed that Fire Emblem is about characters, then how would that favor a Musou game where almost all the time is spent on fighting? And if I misunderstood you and you actually meant "it's about characters who are loved", then how would that make Zelda a worse fit for a Musou game when the Zelda IP can boast with some of the most iconic figures in gaming overall?

The dictionary spits out nothing for the word 'poinent'.

Nintendo franchises in general are more split than your average one because they are about representing different themes from entry to entry. That being said, Fire Emblem is more character based so making a Musuo game out of it makes a lot more sense. To say that the older NES/SNES games have bland characters it to criticize most games at that time. How about every game from the GBA onward?

Zelda has iconic characters, but they are few and far between, and not as meaningful. I think Link, Zelda, and Ganandorf are about as iconic as it gets. Maayyybbee Midna and Tingle?Of course, any Zelda game will be more iconic than a Fire Emblem one . But Musuo games are fan service, and asking which game is more suited for it is kind of like asking would you rather play a game fighting along side characters with actual arcs, depth(well...), characters who litera lly come out of a war environment, and personalities... or a few iconic designs that are nothing more than cardboard archetypes for a series that was never about plot to begin with. Of course, FE has bad characters and LOZ has some great ones, but the two series have a huge disparity in character importance. 

It's just an opinion..Rol...

I think you know what I meant, lol. 

Lawlight said:

Someone in Japan should confirm this. But I think its still selling every stock they have. Once the loterries dissappear  then it should be good. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Lawlight said:

Someone in Japan should confirm this. But I think its still selling every stock they have. Once the loterries dissappear  then it should be good. 

Are they still holding lotteries? It seems that Amazon JP has stock but I can't read Japanese so not sure.