By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 25th Sept. - 1st Oct 2017

Kresnik said:
VGPolyglot said:

I thought the Musou games were pretty popular in Japan?

'Were' being the operative word then. The genre as a whole has taken quite a tumble in recent years.

Its been sustaining itself with this kind of IP-crossovers - sticking the musou formula on a very popular IP. It works a lot of the time (Dragon Quest/Gundam/One Piece/Zelda) but it appears this was not one of those times.

Well, I guess it makes sense that it'd be losing steam, with Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, One Piece Pirate Warriors, Fist of the North Star Warriros(?), Dragon Quest Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors and whatever else that's a lot of games to take in.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Lawlight said:

So, nothing tangible really?

Only common sense.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Ok...well I thought we were talking about which game series fits better in a Musuo game? Like.. that seemed very obvious? No matter. I think the sales aren't too bad. Zelda Musuo didn't do much better. Of course, this is on Switch and should have done better. I've said this for a while now but I don't think it will do great in the West either. It launches 7 days before Mario.

That being said, I see it doing better than Hyrule Warriors lifetime.

Sorry about that! I meant on point.

Which IP fits better evolved from the original point of contention. Discussions evolve on a regular basis, but I consider it important to not lose sight of the origins.

In America and Europe the Zelda IP is a lot more popular than Fire Emblem. It's going to be tough for FEW to do better than HW lifetime. Switch is much more successful than Wii U, but when looking at sales of Musou games across all platforms, it doesn't seem like Hyrule Warriors was really handicapped by installed base, so Switch doing well isn't going to result in a notable advantage for FEW. On the other hand, FEW has to deal with a New 3DS version that launched simultaneously while HW saw a later release on 3DS; but since the 3DS versions of Warriors games are so clearly inferior, I wouldn't call that a notable disadvantage for FEW either. That being said, I don't believe that FEW on Switch will sell more copies than HW on Wii U. The worldwide popularity difference between Zelda and Fire Emblem is very lopsided in favor of Zelda, and just like HW didn't come close to the sales of a regular Zelda entry, FEW won't come close to the numbers that Awakening/Fates sold.

Hm... that is all very true! I can't exactly disagree with what you've said. We will just have to wait and see!

p0isonparadise said:
Switch is sold out on Amazon Japan.

Ok, so it's not actually sold out on Amazon Japan - it's just selling for $100 more than the RRP.

RolStoppable said:
Lawlight said:

Ok, so it's not actually sold out on Amazon Japan - it's just selling for $100 more than the RRP.

Is that proof that there are no stock issues?

I don't know what he was going for there.

Lawlight said:

So, nothing tangible really?

...Do you lack common sense? Have you seen the demand for Switch in Japan? 70k ain't going to solve that.

You're just waiting for the day when Switch's supply issues get in check so you can criticize its sales figures...lmao.

Common sense tells me that it is in stock everywhere but Japan so why is Nintendo not shipping enough to Japan then? Decreasing shipments to countries where it's not selling well and increasing shipments to Japan would be common sense.

And, don't worry - in a month's time we will be getting official shipment numbers so we'll see if all those Switch beasting articles and posts hold up.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Lawlight said:

Is that proof that there are no stock issues?

Well, it is proof that it is purchasable in Japan.

Lawlight said:

...Do you lack common sense? Have you seen the demand for Switch in Japan? 70k ain't going to solve that.

You're just waiting for the day when Switch's supply issues get in check so you can criticize its sales figures...lmao.

Common sense tells me that it is in stock everywhere but Japan so why is Nintendo not shipping enough to Japan then? Decreasing shipments to countries where it's not selling well and increasing shipments to Japan would be common sense.

And, don't worry - in a month's time we will be getting official shipment numbers so we'll see if all those Switch beasting articles and posts hold up.

...But youve been arguing with people this whole time about if there are stock issues. 

You asked if it did, but them whenever someone said it did have issues you tried to refute it. Lol.

Lawlight said:
p0isonparadise said:
Switch is sold out on Amazon Japan.

So the SNES Classic is in stock, you just have to pay over double the actual price to buy it?

Lawlight said:

...But youve been arguing with people this whole time about if there are stock issues. 

You asked if it did, but them whenever someone said it did have issues you tried to refute it. Lol.

I asked for proof, actually - which would be the sensible thing to do.

RolStoppable said:
Lawlight said:

Well, it is proof that it is purchasable in Japan.

From resellers, yes. That's not the same as in stock though.

Lawlight said:

Considering that we get weekly sales from Japan every week - almost all of them had the Switch in #1 and most of the time by a comfortable margin - and NPD result on a monthly basis, is it really necessary to wait for official shipment numbers when it is already confirmed that Switch has been beasting in the two biggest video game markets?

Yes, it is important to wait for shipments because these are still only 2 countries, 1 in which the margin of victory is very low.