By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

And all Japanese people love video games and anime. Truth.

Around the Network
numberwang said:

You can see the bias right there - white men commit most of the mass murders - well, news for you: white people make up most of the US population. I need to sit down and count it but someone posted the Gun Violence Archive has 50 out of 91 mass shootings by white men. That's less than 55%. No bias there, right guys?

52% of homicides in the US are committed by black people. Where are the articles about angry black men?

And that Guardian guy doesn't know what a terrorist is. That's a "journalist".

Much of what I'm reading here comes down to empathy. The ability to look past label such as sex or race to see complexity in the world. When someone different than you does something terrible it is easy to mass label a group as evil. When someone shares characteristics with you the complexity is appreciated and statistics of percentages and evaluating incidents by case by case basis.

I remember when a shooting in Columbine happened years ago one aspect was "violent video games" being demonized and how gamers were a threat or concern to society. Go on a gaming message board and people from all racial, socio-economic, sex, orientation, nationality, religion, etc. all agreed how this was a bad argument and that gamers were by and large benign actors within a society.

The point is if it bothers you to see a small fraction of a group suddenly be thrust as representative of the majority or the whole consider that in every case, not just the ones related to you.

Lawlight said:

You can see the bias right there - white men commit most of the mass murders - well, news for you: white people make up most of the US population. I need to sit down and count it but someone posted the Gun Violence Archive has 50 out of 91 mass shootings by white men. That's less than 55%. No bias there, right guys?

52% of homicides in the US are committed by black people. Where are the articles about angry black men?

And that Guardian guy doesn't know what a terrorist is. That's a "journalist".

I'm saying this both sarcastically and dead serious, people are kinda already scared of angry black men or black men in general.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

DarthMetalliCube said:

They're all a bunch of hypocrites. The ridiculous aspect of this is that these people don't seem to realize that the people that were mercilessly mowed down in Vegas were probably 95% white.. But you'll never hear that part.

And let's be clear, there is racism on the right too, which I of course reject - but as of late it's been a lot more frequent on the left being racsists against whites, and far more socially acceptable too (though in a subtle roundabout sort of way I view this "victimization" of many minorities these guys obsess over as a kind of bigotry too, as it's a sort of "soft bigotry of low expectations," which was one of the very few intelligent things I ever heard George W. Bush speak). I hear the shitting on white rhetoric from even my close family and friends on nearly a daily basis, or at least see it on twitter or TV. I used to get angry about it but now I just sort of sit back and laugh at what hypocrites they are. Let them wallow in their own hatred and realize THEY'RE the ones with the problem, not you. I've realized over the years many of these people's cries of "RASCIST!" is usually just projection. It's like when those super conservative priests or congressmen yell about the evils of homosexuality and lo and behold many end up having a history of fucking young boys.

I try to just remind myself that at the end of the day, what's it really matter? I'm still lucky enough to grow up in a middle class familiy in probably the most privledged and prosperous country in the world, in an era where we live like kings compared to people merely 100 years ago. I've never once in my life been confronted (at least in real life) or "called out" in some way merely for being a white man, let alone discriminated against or "oppressed" in any apparent way. Life is still pretty decent from where I sit, and many many people in the world have it far far worse. And besides, we're all individuals - which is by far the most important characteristic of humanity, not skin color which nobody has any control over whatsoever anyway - so people shouldn't make things personal based on race, myself included.

bolded part: hahahaah. wow. understatement of the year!! Racism is a central platform of the right. If you think there is more racism on the left, or even a fraction of what is on the right, you're living in a dream world buddy. That's like saying conservatives like guns, but liberals really like guns. Or, liberals support rights for everyone, but conservatives really support rights for everyone. That's all backwards.

Pointing out racism on the right does not count as racism towards white people, okay. It's just pointing out the obvious. Which some white people, like you, go apeshit over and just cannot take anyone pointing out how stupid lots of white people in this country are (and how racist lots of white people in this country are). Whenever I hear or see these idiots (American conservatives) in the news or in real life I just think to myself "goddamn POS white people", and I'm white! That ain't racism, that's understanding the reality that there is a group of roughly half the country that call themselves conservatives/Republicans and many of them are very stupid and the biggest whiners in the coutnry, sometimes racist, most of them at least support racist ideas or get mad at anyone who doesn't fully accept white superiority and non-white inferiority, which is exactly what racism is.

So yes it of course is more socially acceptable to point out racism that runs rampant in American white conservatives than it is to actually be a white racist. Not sure how you don't get why that is more socially accepted that being a racist. Again, pointing out racism of whites in America is not being racist.

Of course some people are racist towards white people. And some people do cry racism for no reason. But to say those things even make a mark on the radar compared to the rampant racism (whether overt or more subtle) of the American right is to say you're not paying attention to what's going on in America.

Around the Network

I know what you were going for but it is ridiculously bad optics and just plain dumb to invoke the name of Martin Luther King Jr. WHO WAS SHOT AND KILLED BY A WHITE MAN WITH A GUN, in this thread to try to prove your point.

I am speechless in fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

White men have done some of the greatest yet worst things in history. In today's world, great things are taken for granted and horrible things are put in the spotlight. This is the problem. Too much focus on a few white men who did unthinkable things, and the other 99.9% of them who apparently have to pay for it, regardless of their contributions to the world. (I'm not saying those 99.9% are perfect by no means either, but most are good).
The truth is, there are some white people with power or fame, saying they want other white people to better themselves, but those influential white people aren't doing a damn thing in their own lives to make it happen, so what do you expect? Complaining is one thing. Throwing money at it looks good, but going home, only to sit on the couch and drink beer isn't going to solve anything but your level of "stress".

Ive been seeing this "demonization" of "white" people for a while and i completely agree with you on this OP.

Locknuts said:

I see these groups saying that if this was an Islamic terror attack, all Muslims would be demonised. This is a false equivalence. Islam is not a race, it's a set of (really bad) ideas. ISIS read and refer to the same texts as moderate muslims. Bad ideas can be criticised. Most importantly though, Muslims can be any colour. Just as communists, Christians and fascists can be.

Completely true, its a religion NOT a race.

Locknuts said:

I can't believe the liberal media don't see the double standard, and dangerous people like Jared Taylor are just waiting for enough people to fall for the identity politics to build a political platform based on 'race realism'. He claims he is not a white supremacist. But read his work, he considers black people akin to a different species.

The media in general is just complete shit, ive lost all respect for and any credibility i gave it after i saw them lying multiple times recently, wish i could link the videos where they got exposed but its been so long since i watched them that i cant remember the names.

Treat people as individuals and don't associate small groups to be representative of millions (or even billions of people). Such a simple idea but something so many people can't wrap their heads around :|

As a Muslim, I get upset every time somebody associates Islam with destructive connotations, so since I'm not a hypocrite, I'm not associating White people with gun violence. See? It's easy :)

barneystinson69 said:

Identity politics. Its ultimately sad, and its the reason there is so much racial divide in America. We don't have this problem in Canada for good reason.

Agreed, In my country (Colombia) we dont have this either, even though there is people here with all sort of skin color, skin tones, religions etc.