By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Aeolus451 said:
Final-Fan said:

My point isn't that your conclusion is wrong.  My point is that the evidence you cited is insufficient to justify the claim.  Therefore I am unconvinced by your argument. 

When you say "suggest they have an agenda", what do you mean by that?  Because I am wondering if you just saw someone pile up a bunch of confirmation bias.  With the major news sites, you could probably cherry pick enough stuff to make Fox look like Mother Jones.  Maybe they did it all scientific-like, but I have not yet been convinced. 

I wasn't listing those sources as absolute evidence with the goal of proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that they're trying to vilify or demonize white males (let's be honest about that no matter how much you list, some people will not be convinced no matter what) but rather as samples to perhaps make others curious about it so they do research on their own. We're not in a court of law. Some of those sources definitely have an agenda with this stuff or a strong bias. It's sort of a common sense.

I have no interest in wasting my time trying to convince an ideologue or a stubborn person. If someone is intelligent or open minded enough to entertain different ideas, they'll look into it themselves if you show enough to interest them. 

Who's the group of people that a lot of progressive circles point to as the boogieman who's out to get you, use as a pinata for people's frustrations, set up as a literal strawman? White males.  

You're completely mischaracterizing my objection. 

Here's the context of what the discussion was: 
Aeolus:  There's a lot more vox articles that are worse than that. Perhaps I should have just took a screen shot of the head lines they have regarding white men. It's the same with cnn. They have a lot of pieces on white men or white people in general. I think cnn is looking at diversity from a racist perspective rather than looking at if there's anyone barring minorities from getting into government.
Flilix:  I'm not familar with Vox, but I just looked at their front page and it does indeed look like a left news outlet.  CNN on the other hand, looks like a normal news site. Maybe they have some left articles, but the big articles on their front page look quite alright.
Aeolus:  For cnn, just put "cnn white men" in a search engine and you'll see what I mean.
Final-Fan:  I see one story about a Trump advisory panel being 100% white men (big surprise), one CNN opinion article about "white rage" or something and a whole bunch of anti-CNN rage about the "white rage" opinion article (presumably white )  In other words, nothing much.

Now, perhaps I misconstrued what you were trying to say, and if so that would be a fair objection on your part.  I thought you were saying something along the lines of, "google this phrase and you will find significant evidence that CNN is as left-leaning as Vox."  Whereas perhaps you meant something more like, "google this phrase and you will find an example of what I claim is representative of CNN's bias."  The latter does not claim to produce any real evidence, only claims to illustrate a point.  I would object to the first thing, if it is close to what you meant.  I would not object to the second thing. 

As for your last paragraph, I have actually had my eyes opened in the past few months to growing left-wing extremism.  I don't just mean violent groups; I also mean things like that video of a college girl who demanded some guy take off a "Make America Great Again" hat because it was "hate language".  I mean, seriously, get real.  (On the other hand, after the video went viral she's received a lot of harassment including death threats.)  People who love their ideological bubble/echo chamber and want to push anything that disagrees with it outside their field of fucking vision.  It's not a problem that only exists on the left wing by any means, but I personally feel as if the ones doing it on the left are even bigger hypocrites because of other political views they claim to hold.  And then there's just absolutely bizarre stuff like a first-hand account someone told me of an ex-girlfriend who claimed to identify as different genders on a daily basis.  This extended, he said, to trying to go into different bathrooms on different days. 

But while those people exist, it doesn't mean CNN entirely reflects their attitudes. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Aeolus451 said:

I wasn't listing those sources as absolute evidence with the goal of proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that they're trying to vilify or demonize white males (let's be honest about that no matter how much you list, some people will not be convinced no matter what) but rather as samples to perhaps make others curious about it so they do research on their own. We're not in a court of law. Some of those sources definitely have an agenda with this stuff or a strong bias. It's sort of a common sense.

I have no interest in wasting my time trying to convince an ideologue or a stubborn person. If someone is intelligent or open minded enough to entertain different ideas, they'll look into it themselves if you show enough to interest them. 

Who's the group of people that a lot of progressive circles point to as the boogieman who's out to get you, use as a pinata for people's frustrations, set up as a literal strawman? White males.  

You're completely mischaracterizing my objection. 

Here's the context of what the discussion was: 
Aeolus:  There's a lot more vox articles that are worse than that. Perhaps I should have just took a screen shot of the head lines they have regarding white men. It's the same with cnn. They have a lot of pieces on white men or white people in general. I think cnn is looking at diversity from a racist perspective rather than looking at if there's anyone barring minorities from getting into government.
Flilix:  I'm not familar with Vox, but I just looked at their front page and it does indeed look like a left news outlet.  CNN on the other hand, looks like a normal news site. Maybe they have some left articles, but the big articles on their front page look quite alright.
Aeolus:  For cnn, just put "cnn white men" in a search engine and you'll see what I mean.
Final-Fan:  I see one story about a Trump advisory panel being 100% white men (big surprise), one CNN opinion article about "white rage" or something and a whole bunch of anti-CNN rage about the "white rage" opinion article (presumably white )  In other words, nothing much.

Now, perhaps I misconstrued what you were trying to say, and if so that would be a fair objection on your part.  I thought you were saying something along the lines of, "google this phrase and you will find significant evidence that CNN is as left-leaning as Vox."  Whereas perhaps you meant something more like, "google this phrase and you will find an example of what I claim is representative of CNN's bias."  The latter does not claim to produce any real evidence, only claims to illustrate a point.  I would object to the first thing, if it is close to what you meant.  I would not object to the second thing. 

As for your last paragraph, I have actually had my eyes opened in the past few months to growing left-wing extremism.  I don't just mean violent groups; I also mean things like that video of a college girl who demanded some guy take off a "Make America Great Again" hat because it was "hate language".  I mean, seriously, get real.  (On the other hand, after the video went viral she's received a lot of harassment including death threats.)  People who love their ideological bubble/echo chamber and want to push anything that disagrees with it outside their field of fucking vision.  It's not a problem that only exists on the left wing by any means, but I personally feel as if the ones doing it on the left are even bigger hypocrites because of other political views they claim to hold.  And then there's just absolutely bizarre stuff like a first-hand account someone told me of an ex-girlfriend who claimed to identify as different genders on a daily basis.  This extended, he said, to trying to go into different bathrooms on different days. 

But while those people exist, it doesn't mean CNN entirely reflects their attitudes. 

Yes, I was listed those source to illustrate my point. Also, I don't believe that cnn is like the extreme left like that ex-girlfriend but in a different way and probably to a lesser degree. I think they're actively fighting a culture war and they know that the whole white male thing is a good strawman for that.  

Aeolus451 said:

Yes, I was listed those source to illustrate my point. Also, I don't believe that cnn is like the extreme left like that ex-girlfriend but in a different way and probably to a lesser degree. I think they're actively fighting a culture war and they know that the whole white male thing is a good strawman for that.  

In that case, I'm sorry for misinterpreting what you said, although I still completely disagree with you. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!