By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Is Trying to Keep PUBG Off PS4 for Longer

Not sure I see the problem. Will PS gamers have a chance to play the game sounds like they will. If you kind of think about this, MS probably have to make these types of deals especially when Sony can get exclusives for doing absolutely nothing. Games like Persona, Nioh and other Japanese games. Its just the nature of the business that when an opportunity comes you ride it for as long as you can. Even though Phil said he is not in favor of doing these deals, that does not mean he said he will not do them. Hard for me to see where he lied.

Also a lot of you just give Sony a pass every single time or have your excuses ready but it is the nature of the business so not even sure why this is even big news.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Soundwave said:

I'm in my late 30s, I've been following "Playstation" since 1992 when it was announced as the SNES CD-ROM. I think even still have EGM lying around somewhere. 

Refute any of my points, it's well known Sony money hatted things like Final Fantasy in the past (and uh well continues to do so looking at FFVII Remake), why do you think Nintendo and Square had to go to the ridiculous lengths of creating a shell company just to get even a Final Fantasy spin-off? Maybe you should do your research, I've more than done mine. 

Sony is responsible for locking more content out from other systems for no good reason than any other company by a long shot since they've entered the business. They've done it to Sega and continue to do so to Nintendo and MS. 

3 points.

Nintendo had rules that the company itself couldn't release any game at the competitor during NES, not only a specific game.

Sony haven't had their unit top level come out to say the practice is bad like MS have done.

Why would Sony pay unspeakable amount of money to keep the game only out of Switch?

Yes, Ninendo had a lockout chip during the 1980s. Which they reneged on during the 16-bit era and Sega got many/most of the same games. So that was already a non-issue by the time Sony showed up. I've specifically said since Sony had entered the business they have engaged in buying content for the purpose of keeping it off other platforms. They largely succeeded in getting the 3rd party community to black ball Sega (especailly Japanese devs) for starters. 

Sony would pay for the same reason they've always done. They fancied the PS4 as the return to PS2 style Japanese market and started buying games like SFV and MH World from guillable third parties like Capcom to reach that goal, problem is PS2 market there is never coming back and Capcom miscalculated Switch not being a success. 

The moment Sony regained market leadership, they've gone back to basically their old ways of money-hatting content. I mean if offered right now, Sony could have PUBG, but they'd have to allow games like SFV, MH World, FFVII Remake, Ni No Kuni 2, content deals of a variety of Western third party games, etc. on all other platforms ... Sony wouldn't take it. Because they have more to lose than to gain. 

It is still timed exclusive. I can wait.

DonFerrari said:
Soundwave said:

I'm in my late 30s, I've been following "Playstation" since 1992 when it was announced as the SNES CD-ROM. I think even still have EGM lying around somewhere. 

Refute any of my points, it's well known Sony money hatted things like Final Fantasy in the past (and uh well continues to do so looking at FFVII Remake), why do you think Nintendo and Square had to go to the ridiculous lengths of creating a shell company just to get even a Final Fantasy spin-off? Maybe you should do your research, I've more than done mine. 

Sony is responsible for locking more content out from other systems for no good reason than any other company by a long shot since they've entered the business. They've done it to Sega and continue to do so to Nintendo and MS. 

3 points.

Nintendo had rules that the company itself couldn't release any game at the competitor during NES, not only a specific game.

Sony haven't had their unit top level come out to say the practice is bad like MS have done.

Why would Sony pay unspeakable amount of money to keep the game only out of Switch?

Cause they want to get the upper-hand in Japan, that's why. The Xbox audience doesn't care too much about capcom and SE games. Money hatting monster hunter is a great move from them. Same goes for FfVii remake. Sony locks out content way more, just look at the activision games. Cod and Destiny both have exclusive content only available to PlayStation. Cod 4 remaster was available to both systems at the launch of infinite warfare, yet the standalone version came out a month earlier on PS4 even though the game was finished for XB1 already. That's much more scummier than this imo.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Soundwave said:
As if Sony is not buying as much content if not more, they are the ones who started this whole business.

Why did Nintendo and Square have to create a shell company just to get a Final Fantasy game on GameCube? Because Sony had an iron clad exclusivity deal to keep content off other platforms.

Same with Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2/3, etc. etc. MS had to jump through major hoops to get GTA on the original XBox as well. Sony moneyhatted to keep Madden off the Dreamcast as well.

And that continues to this day with things like Monster Hunter World, Final Fantasy VII REMake exclusivity period, Street Fighter V (gimme a break with the "Capcom couldn't afford to develop it" .... SFIV sold millions and millions of copies), and even things like Final Fantasy XII remaster being kept off other platforms largely because Sony negotiates deals to keep that content away from other platforms.

We saw how successful Sony is when they don't have the full backing of the third party community with the Vita, which crashed and burned.

If you want to be mad at MS for this, so be it, but IMO it's a bit hypocritical if you're not also going to knock Sony for it or even more laughably try to claim that Sony is the "white knight of gaming", when they are responsible for locking out more content from other platforms since coming into the industry than anyone else by a country mile.

If Sony had gotten to PUBG first, then the story we'd be fed right now would be "well Sony's just smart, they recognized the game was going to be a big hit, maybe MS should have been smarter".

Actually, it's even older than that for consoles. Before Nintendo threw their hats in the ring, exclusives weren't locked to a platform. Nintendo games themselves were appearing on many platforms. Cue, the NES. Nintendo started locking down devs and publishers left and right. And they were highly restricted as to how they were able to distribute games. Third parties were allowed only so many carts and could publish only five games a year, so companies that developed for the platform had to create shell companies to get around Nintendo's anti-competitive measures. 

Which is crazy, since they were competing not only against rival console makers, but their third parties as well. Soooo, if we REALLY want to get into who was starting these corporate lockdowns on console, we can start with the big N and ol' Hiroshi Yamauchi himself.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Kerotan said:

Pot kettle black at its finest lol.  

Anyway we have Fortnite now which imo is superior so it's no longer a big loss. 

This. From what I've seen of Fortnite, it looks like it's done battle royale better than PUGB. Still scummy from MS.

The actual practice of getting exclusive deals is just basic business.  But they really shot themselves in the foot when they took the moral high ground because Sony were out bidding them for the deals.  Now they look foolish trying to pull one of their own.  

It was a pr stunt that badly backfired. 

Total dick move from the perspective of the consumer but a pretty clever business move.

vivster said:
Ganoncrotch said:
Why spend money to create games when you can just use that money to make sure other peoples games don't appear on rival systems. Really gives us gamers more unique experiences that can only be played on XboxoneX

Yep, it's a lot better to do both. Create games and then keep those games forever away from rival platforms. That way you can keep players out for eternity and not just a few measely months.

If you mean a Sony or Nintendo created game being on a machine that they manufacture is in line with this? Surely you understand the difference between creating a game on a platform for your audience and just taking measures to prevent a game created by someone else from going to a rival platform?

One of the above scenario's creates a game, the other one creates nothing.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ganoncrotch said:
Why spend money to create games when you can just use that money to make sure other peoples games don't appear on rival systems. Really gives us gamers more unique experiences that can only be played on XboxoneX

Yeah... like this hasn't been going on since the late 70's. Buying exclusive games is as old as the hills.

Oh yeah, think the OP is just making a point of this coming off the tails of Phil Spencer at this interview

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-the-big-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Most notably : I've been pretty open about, I'm not a fan of doing deals that hold back specific pieces of content from other platforms. You don't see that in the deals we've done with Assassin's and Shadow. We'll have a marketing deal on those, but I don't say, hey, I need some kind of Strike or skin somebody else can't play.I don't think it's good for our industry if we got into a point where people are holding back the technical innovation of game developers based on a marketing deal.

So yeah, no one really would be shocked about a third party game being wrapped up in the guise of wanting to be on a system if it wasn't for the fact that big Phil said he wasn't a fan of such moves to stop games appearing on other machines.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

RJ_Sizzle said:
Soundwave said:
As if Sony is not buying as much content if not more, they are the ones who started this whole business.

Why did Nintendo and Square have to create a shell company just to get a Final Fantasy game on GameCube? Because Sony had an iron clad exclusivity deal to keep content off other platforms.

Same with Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2/3, etc. etc. MS had to jump through major hoops to get GTA on the original XBox as well. Sony moneyhatted to keep Madden off the Dreamcast as well.

And that continues to this day with things like Monster Hunter World, Final Fantasy VII REMake exclusivity period, Street Fighter V (gimme a break with the "Capcom couldn't afford to develop it" .... SFIV sold millions and millions of copies), and even things like Final Fantasy XII remaster being kept off other platforms largely because Sony negotiates deals to keep that content away from other platforms.

We saw how successful Sony is when they don't have the full backing of the third party community with the Vita, which crashed and burned.

If you want to be mad at MS for this, so be it, but IMO it's a bit hypocritical if you're not also going to knock Sony for it or even more laughably try to claim that Sony is the "white knight of gaming", when they are responsible for locking out more content from other platforms since coming into the industry than anyone else by a country mile.

If Sony had gotten to PUBG first, then the story we'd be fed right now would be "well Sony's just smart, they recognized the game was going to be a big hit, maybe MS should have been smarter".

Actually, it's even older than that for consoles. Before Nintendo threw their hats in the ring, exclusives weren't locked to a platform. Nintendo games themselves were appearing on many platforms. Cue, the NES. Nintendo started locking down devs and publishers left and right. And they were highly restricted as to how they were able to distribute games. Third parties were allowed only so many carts and could publish only five games a year, so companies that developed for the platform had to create shell companies to get around Nintendo's anti-competitive measures. 

Which is crazy, since they were competing not only against rival console makers, but their third parties as well. Soooo, if we REALLY want to get into who was starting these corporate lockdowns on console, we can start with the big N and ol' Hiroshi Yamauchi himself.

The situation with the NES is different because Nintendo wanted control over the content on their machine due to Atari crashing the market with waves of crappy games. Nintendo never "bid" on third party exclusives on the NES or offered money for like Megaman 2 exclusivity for 3-6 months or actively worked to pressure developers to keep games off other systems. 

And as stated Nintendo did not put a lockout chip in the Super NES, developers were free after the NES era to make games on whatever system they wanted.