By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Is Trying to Keep PUBG Off PS4 for Longer

Microsoft Is Trying to Keep PUBG Off PS4 for Longer

Platform holder attempting to delay PlayStation version

Sony is in discussions with Korean developer Bluehole to bring smash hit PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds to the PlayStation 4 – but Microsoft is also trying to delay that version of the game. In what is increasingly becoming a boardroom saga, you should already know that the Redmond firm has agreed to publish the Xbox One version of the Battle Royale-inspired release, granting it a period of exclusivity. However, now Bloomberg is reporting that the company is trying to extend that window.

Here’s a quote from the article: “Bluehole has agreed to produce the game for Microsoft first by the end of the year and is likely to give the company a longer period as the solo console, said [sources] asking not to be identified because the matter is private. Games are typically offered exclusively for about three months to encourage people to buy a particular console, so Xbox may have the game to itself until the middle of next year or longer.”

It’s been fascinating watching this all play out, not least because Epic Games has beaten PUBG to the punch, releasing the very agreeable Fortnite: Battle Royale for free on the PS4 already. Still, it’s amazing to see Microsoft go so aggressively after this particular game; it may be one of the most popular titles in the world right now, but this whole scenario must be keeping Xbox chief Phil Spencer awake at night – after all, he’s not really a fan of timed exclusives, is he?

[via bloomberg.com]

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/10/microsoft_is_trying_to_keep_pubg_off_ps4_for_longer

Around the Network

Why spend money to create games when you can just use that money to make sure other peoples games don't appear on rival systems. Really gives us gamers more unique experiences that can only be played on XboxoneX

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Xbox should offer up PUBG for crossplay.

Don't they care about the consumer?

“I don’t know what deals get written. I’ve been pretty open about, I’m not a fan of doing deals that hold back specific pieces of content from other platforms. You don’t see that in the deals we’ve done with Assassin’s and Shadow. We’ll have a marketing deal on those, but I don’t say, hey, I need some kind of Strike or skin somebody else can’t play.

“I don’t think it’s good for our industry if we got into a point where people are holding back the technical innovation of game developers based on a marketing deal.”

Exclusive skins are not OK!

I wonder if the game will even get a physical release when it's finished.

Around the Network
caffeinade said:

Came to say this... you beat me to the punch

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Seems Microsoft has a Scrooge McDuck's style vault with "Dick Moves" emblazoned in front just for these occasions

hunter_alien said:
caffeinade said:

Came to say this... you beat me to the punch

You just gotta have the stock standard responses, in a space where you can quickly reach them.

such hypocrisy, but when your first party is creatively bankrupt, you gotta do whatever it takes to remain remotely competitive

twintail said:

And keeping games off another platform is hey Philly boy?

Pot kettle black at its finest lol.  

Anyway we have Fortnite now which imo is superior so it's no longer a big loss.