By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Is Trying to Keep PUBG Off PS4 for Longer

DonFerrari said:

Sorry to burst your bubble again... Nintendo FORBADE the company to releasing games on the competitors, ANY game... so it was MUCH worse. They didn't offer money, they blackmailed devs. And yet people today have harsh criticism towards the 3rd parties not being Nintendo best friend

Yep. Nintendo got exclusives and a huge batch of third parties the old fashioned way, through threats and intimidation Yakuza-style courtesy of Yamauchi. Nintendo concluded they were the only game in town since they had the numbers with the NES, and wanted it to stay that way. There's a reason why people remember Nintendo's first party as fondly as they do, because they manipulated the market to bring the most attention to their games. Whether through their own publication (Nintendo Power), to making sure they had more volume than other games on their platforms. 

Nintendo were the original sharks. They tried their damnedest to keep SEGA and NEC at bay. This is why Sony ended gaining much more favor with third-parties because they didn't spite them in favor of their own games. Well, and the format helped too.

Around the Network
RJ_Sizzle said:
DonFerrari said:

Sorry to burst your bubble again... Nintendo FORBADE the company to releasing games on the competitors, ANY game... so it was MUCH worse. They didn't offer money, they blackmailed devs. And yet people today have harsh criticism towards the 3rd parties not being Nintendo best friend

Yep. Nintendo got exclusives and a huge batch of third parties the old fashioned way, through threats and intimidation Yakuza-style courtesy of Yamauchi. Nintendo concluded they were the only game in town since they had the numbers with the NES, and wanted it to stay that way. There's a reason why people remember Nintendo's first party as fondly as they do, because they manipulated the market to bring the most attention to their games. Whether through their own publication (Nintendo Power), to making sure they had more volume than other games on their platforms. 

Nintendo were the original sharks. They tried their damnedest to keep SEGA and NEC at bay. This is why Sony ended gaining much more favor with third-parties because they didn't spite them in favor of their own games. Well, and the format helped too.

I still laugh at people today that pretends that Nintendo have ever been and still is a loveable company with only the purest desire to make good games for gamers...

They will criticize AAA budgets and DLC scheme but will love when Nintendo keep a game forever at 60 USD (to keep its value) and sell 20M units on a budget of a mid tier game. I would be really pissed seeing such large profit margins that doesn't ever get reinvested and only grow Nintendo bank account.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:

Yes, thanks for reminding me that a RTS, a remaster of a decent platformer from two generations ago, or a FREE title like Phantom Dust didn't set the world in fire. I'm sure that, like Titanfall, MS expected millions and millions of sales for each. 

Im not trying to remind you of anything. Those are LITERALLY the only exclusives that were released this year until Cuphead and Forza 7. That is why i mentioned them.

Same for Cuphead. It's a $20 boss rush game. Is it not a hit? It's got great reviews and is selling well. How many copies does it need to sell to be a "hit"?

The game is certainly a critical hit. Saleswise on the Xbox One we shall see. By the looks of it, it is not doing hot at the moment. At 20$ being at 31 in the Top 100 is underwhelming. I hope the game is doing amazing at digital because it isnt doing so at retail.

Forza literally launched today. At least give it some time before starting with the hyperbole.

More reasons for the game to be charted higher than 48. If a game underperforms on its launch day, more than likely it will underperform outside of the launch window. 

Is Sony DESPERAAAAAAAAAATE for a hit? I'd guess not. And yet if they were in the position MS were in, they'd be trying to get as much exclusivity from PUBG as possible too. It's just smart business. When Sony has paid DLC broken up and locked away for Xbone and PC Destiny 2 players, is that DESPERAAAAAAATE? Please confirm.

They have a deal with Activision because Destiny 1 sold 5.67m copies on the PS4 (3.39m on the X1), the PS4 Destiny Bundle and the LE Bundle did AMAZING numbers for both of them. This is not about Sony's desperation. This is just Great Business between 2 parties that want to make money.

Read Above.

Ganoncrotch said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Yeah... like this hasn't been going on since the late 70's. Buying exclusive games is as old as the hills.

Oh yeah, think the OP is just making a point of this coming off the tails of Phil Spencer at this interview

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-the-big-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Most notably : I've been pretty open about, I'm not a fan of doing deals that hold back specific pieces of content from other platforms. You don't see that in the deals we've done with Assassin's and Shadow. We'll have a marketing deal on those, but I don't say, hey, I need some kind of Strike or skin somebody else can't play.I don't think it's good for our industry if we got into a point where people are holding back the technical innovation of game developers based on a marketing deal.

So yeah, no one really would be shocked about a third party game being wrapped up in the guise of wanting to be on a system if it wasn't for the fact that big Phil said he wasn't a fan of such moves to stop games appearing on other machines.

I hadn't seen that interview lol. Everything makes more sense now. Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Gotta love the revisionist history by Soundwave.  And the poor excuses for Nintendo not being the same thing when called out. 

In their time, Nintendo was probably just as big a dick as MS, maybe worse.  Why do you think so many devs/pubs jumped ship to Sega when it launched the Genesis, basically forcing Nintendo to be more friendly when the SNES finally launched?  And then the next generation, came in masses to Sony?  And no, it wasn't because Sony and Sega were paying them, or even the freedom, which there definitely was more of, it was because of how poorly they were treated by Nintendo.  Nintendo looked at them as 2nd class citizens, instead of partners, like Sega and Sony.  Nintendo had harsh restrictions if you wanted the priviledge to even publish on their system.  Devs and pubs wanted to put Nintendo in their place, so they backed a different giant. 

In the end and fortunately for Nintendo, it worked.  Well, for the most part.  While they are much better to 3rd arties, now, they still are kinda dicks to fans wanting to make fan projects based on their work, or even post vids on Youtube.  I do think they have started backing off of that recently, so hopefully that continues.

And funny how Sony paid for all these exclusives, yet still allowed them to hit PCs.  The fact is, when you sell more than 3x-4x the competition, while also hitting 100M+, you don't really have to pay that much, if at all, for exclusives on your system.  Go figure.

Flash to present time, and we have MS who is really responsible for the modern interation of that.  Not just paying exclusive rights to a game, but if that game does come out to another system, they pay for exclusive DLC.  Timed or real.  But, it really isn't so much the practice that irks people.  It's MS bitching and moaning about when it is done to them.  Either by finding contract-infringing methods to work around those deals, when they would have sued someone who did it to them, or faking the moral ground, only to continue the practice.

Of course, the saddest part is when you have the typical responses from their fans when they are called out on their BS.  "Oh, he just meant DLC.  Sure, MS used to be able to pay for that, too, and we had no problem with it, but now we do."  "Oh, keeping a game off a platform isn't as bad as keeping DLC off of one.  I'd rather not have that game than not be able to dress my character in different hats."

Around the Network
ThisGuyFooks said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Yes, thanks for reminding me that a RTS, a remaster of a decent platformer from two generations ago, or a FREE title like Phantom Dust didn't set the world in fire. I'm sure that, like Titanfall, MS expected millions and millions of sales for each. 

Im not trying to remind you of anything. Those are LITERALLY the only exclusives that were released this year until Cuphead and Forza 7. That is why i mentioned them.

Same for Cuphead. It's a $20 boss rush game. Is it not a hit? It's got great reviews and is selling well. How many copies does it need to sell to be a "hit"?

The game is certainly a critical hit. Saleswise on the Xbox One we shall see. By the looks of it, it is not doing hot at the moment. At 20$ being at 31 in the Top 100 is underwhelming. I hope the game is doing amazing at digital because it isnt doing so at retail.

Forza literally launched today. At least give it some time before starting with the hyperbole.

More reasons for the game to be charted higher than 48. If a game underperforms on its launch day, more than likely it will underperform outside of the launch window. 

Is Sony DESPERAAAAAAAAAATE for a hit? I'd guess not. And yet if they were in the position MS were in, they'd be trying to get as much exclusivity from PUBG as possible too. It's just smart business. When Sony has paid DLC broken up and locked away for Xbone and PC Destiny 2 players, is that DESPERAAAAAAATE? Please confirm.

They have a deal with Activision because Destiny 1 sold 5.67m copies on the PS4 (3.39m on the X1), the PS4 Destiny Bundle and the LE Bundle did AMAZING numbers for both of them. This is not about Sony's desperation. This is just Great Business between 2 parties that want to make money.

Read Above.

And unless they expected those games to sell gangbusters, they wouldn't be desperate for anything. What metric are you using to say Phantom Dust, a free game, "performed horrible"? lol.

Im shocked that it's totally different when Sony locks down content from third parties. Just good business! Of course. By the way, they had the same DLC crap in Destiny 1, well before it sold whatever you listed. It's just continuing in Destiny 2, must be DESPERAAAAAATE.

Smart move by them.

This is how the industry works. Of course MS wants exclusivity. They'd be doing something wrong if they weren't trying to extend the window.

mizzou_guy said:
Not surprised, as this was the same company that paid Rockstar $50-75 million dollars back at the beginning of the PS360 era to keep the GTAIV DLC off of the PS3. Not to develop it, mind you, but to just keep it off the console.

This is why I have always hated MS for entering the console market and will never support them. They use their money like a weapon more than the other console manufacturers, bribing devs to keep their games off of their rivals machines. It does nothing but harm the console market. If they were instead using that money to fund the actual creation of exclusive content, I'd be more okay with it, cause it would be adding something to the market. But they're not. They pay money so people can't play other companies' games.

I've never felt like MS has had the love for the industry that Sony and Nintendo both express. Sony and Nintendo have often done what they can to put new ideas out there and give a spotlight to upcoming developers. MS has always just performed tactics like this to try to damage other brands and bring themselves more money. Yes, they're all wanting to make money of course, but MS's tactics are just scummy on so many occasions.

That's because they don't have the love of the industry that Sony and Nintendo have.  Regardless of the higher ups practices earlier, they still had the drive to get into a market that had crashed recently.  I think they saw it as the next logical step after their success in the arcades.  Miyamoto is also obviously passionate about gaming.  For Sony, you had Ken Kutaragi, and to a lesser extent the CEO who backed him, Norio Ohga.  Kutaragi was so passionate about gaming he worked in secret to develop the sound chip for the SNES.  Even when most of the execs were mad about it, he was able to convince them to allow him to continue the project, as well as the CD-ROM adapter for the SNES.  When the latter fell through, he convinced them to create their own system, something he worked on for nights because he found it interesting.

What was MS's main reason for getting into the console biz?  To stop Sony from taking over the living room and the PS possibly taking over the PC, quite a ridiculous notion.  And while there may have been a few passionate people on the Xbox team, the company itself was just not in it for their love of gaming or the betterment of gaming, which really comes across in their moneyhatting and DRM policies that we have seen throughout the years.

DonFerrari said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

I still laugh at people today that pretends that Nintendo have ever been and still is a loveable company with only the purest desire to make good games for gamers...

They will criticize AAA budgets and DLC scheme but will love when Nintendo keep a game forever at 60 USD (to keep its value) and sell 20M units on a budget of a mid tier game. I would be really pissed seeing such large profit margins that doesn't ever get reinvested and only grow Nintendo bank account.

Lol what a waste of a post we have here. It doesn't matter the budget is mid-tier when the game is better than most other AAA games out there.  AAA doesn't always equal a better product, and stuff like the Order 1886 and Mass Effect Andromeda are proof of that. Besides, what Nintendo games would you argue are not AAA? Pokemon is one, but that is $40 anyways.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.