By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

Do you think it's much of a marketing investment to provide a trailer and screenshots that show gameplay on a digital storefront?

Probably not that much. But considering how many hours they would have to capture, post process and etc it isn't cheap as well. Will we put it on the sabotage front as well? Several games on PS4 store doesn't have trailers, some even AAA.

The capture card + editing program + salaries of the guys who handle this stuff, this surely shouldn't cost you that much, even the most bare bones screenshots and trailers would be better than what's on the eShop section now. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:
DonFerrari said:

Probably not that much. But considering how many hours they would have to capture, post process and etc it isn't cheap as well. Will we put it on the sabotage front as well? Several games on PS4 store doesn't have trailers, some even AAA.

The capture card + editing program + salaries of the guys who handle this stuff, this surely shouldn't cost you that much, even the most bare bones screenshots and trailers would be better than what's on the eShop section now. 

Cost isn't calculated just as that and a big game couldn't have a shitty trailer as well. It is either do good or don't do.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ryng_Tolu said:
Ok, talking about WW performance.

250,000 units are absolutely the worst scenario, and i would be pretty shocked if in the end it sells so low.

If UK is 1% of all sales, the worst Nintendo market, is logical to think the rest of the world is better than this. Let's forget Japan, since is of course a different market (which account for >12% of FIFA sales)...

Markets like Spain, Germany, Italy should easy have better than a 3% of overall sales. France is the best Nintendo market in Europe so there we are probabily looking at 5% at worst.

The America, which is not a big market for FIFA but it still matter, and like France we can easy see 5% or more.

Now, FIFA usually sells in the 15-20 million units lifetime. Just for have a possible scenario:

1% of all sales = 150,000-200,000
2% = 300,000-400,000
3% = 450,000-600,000
4% = 600,000-800,000
5% = 750,000-1,000,000
ecc

I woul say 1 million is very likely all thing considering. I believe 700/800K looks a realistic prediction, and i think EA will be happy with that.

Less than 1 million is, quite honestly, pretty bad. I mean, according to VGC (yea yea VGC numbers but still), FIFA 15 sold 0.65 million.... on the PSVita. The Switch is like 8 times more successful than the PSVita, less than 1 million would be a horrible performance for FIFA 18 on such a successful platform as the Switch.

EDIT: EA might be satisfied, but it's still bad considering it's Fifa on a very successful platform.

DonFerrari said:
Metallox said:

Cost isn't calculated just as that and a big game couldn't have a shitty trailer as well. It is either do good or don't do.

Listen. This trailer, okay? It's there. IT ALREADY EXISTS.

They would just have to UPLOAD it.

DonFerrari said:
Metallox said:

I'm obviously not counting everything and taking into account other variables, but it's not like this would add even 5% to the overall cost of the game, and it's not like FIFA 18 on Switch should have costed a lot to begin with.  

The eShop section is the oddest thing of this whole situation, but I mean, in essence , I still agree with you. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

What are the acceptable minimum standards? Does Nintendo have any policy for their eshop games? From what I heard Nintendo was responsible for Fifa 18 market on their eshop, heard here in this thread.

Apparently Nintendo doesn't have policies, only guidelines. Otherwise FIFA 18's eShop page wouldn't be as barebones as it is.

When everyone else who published on the eShop managed to have a trailer and gameplay screenshots for their games, then that's the minimum a big publisher like EA should do.

Good that every switch game have one. Several ps4 doesn't. Sure Nintendo should pressure EA for one. But as I said someone here said the eshop fifa marketing was Nintendo responsability.

GoOnKid said:
DonFerrari said:

Where does switch fifa trailer exist? And why doesn't Nintendo update or request it to be updated?

Metallox said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm obviously not counting everything and taking into account other variables, but it's not like this would add even 5% to the overall cost of the game, and it's not like FIFA 18 on Switch should have costed a lot to begin with.  

The eShop section is the oddest thing of this whole situation, but I mean, in essence , I still agree with you. 

Marketing in some games is half the cost. But i agreed that puting the trailer shouldn't cost much.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Good that every switch game have one. Several ps4 doesn't. Sure Nintendo should pressure EA for one. But as I said someone here said the eshop fifa marketing was Nintendo responsability.

Even if someone said that in this thread, why would you believe it?

Because I have no contrary evidence and the marketplace is owned by Nintendo. 

GoOnKid said:

Where does switch fifa trailer exist? And why doesn't Nintendo update or request it to be updated?

Boy, the trailer exists on the Playstore. I wrote that a couple of hours ago and you even responded to that! There's no reason to differentiate a trailer among platforms. They could just upload this thing in the eshop. And yet they simply didn't. What's your excuse? Why do you even feel the need to white knight EA?

Teeqoz said:

Less than 1 million is, quite honestly, pretty bad. I mean, according to VGC (yea yea VGC numbers but still), FIFA 15 sold 0.65 million.... on the PSVita. The Switch is like 8 times more successful than the PSVita, less than 1 million would be a horrible performance for FIFA 18 on such a successful platform as the Switch.

EDIT: EA might be satisfied, but it's still bad considering it's Fifa on a very successful platform.

Not gonna argue over that, because i honestly think you are right.

But i think what really matter is if sales are about what EA expected, so they will continue to release FIFA on Switch.

GoOnKid said:

Boy, the trailer exists on the Playstore. I wrote that a couple of hours ago and you even responded to that! There's no reason to differentiate a trailer among platforms. They could just upload this thing in the eshop. And yet they simply didn't. What's your excuse? Why do you even feel the need to white knight EA?

So they putting the same trailer of Playstation on Switch would work? We wouldn't have any Switch user then claiming false advertisment?

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Because I have no contrary evidence and the marketplace is owned by Nintendo. 

The norm is that Nintendo is not responsible for the markting of third party games, so it's said person who would have to provide evidence that Nintendo is responsible in the case of FIFA 18.

Outside of their store I wouldn't have no question, inside their store I don't know, but accept that it's possible that the norm would be the publisher. But we would have to look at who said it here and ask for the evidence.

Or just assume EA thought the expense wouldn't be justified for some reason only they could know for sure.