By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

A more interesting comparison would be attach rate. Anyone care to do that math and post it here?

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
A more interesting comparison would be attach rate. Anyone care to do that math and post it here?

PS4: ~11%
XOne: ~8%
NS: ~3%

StarDoor said:
VAMatt said:

PS4: ~11%
XOne: ~8%
NS: ~3%

It is not nearly as dramatic when you look at it that way.  If the others are in line with expectations, then EA can't be too surprised by Switch sales.  A system with a small install base, a version with fewer features, and no history with the console family is obviously going to lead to a lot fewer sales. 

Don't get me wrong, it still doesn't look good.  But, when you look at it from this angle, it doesn't seem so terrible.  

VAMatt said:

I don't see how attach rate matters so much, higher install bases tend to have worst attach rates anyway, and this isn't even the case 

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Chrizum said:

You're right. Stupid me and my far-fetched theories. EA sabotaging their own shipments sounds much more likely.

I am willing to listen to a logical explanation... you provided none. But I am always willing to entertain a logical explanation. Since you believe you are correct but refused to attempt to show how, from a business standpoint, it is smart to take 9 days to restock a product to an online retailer (of all places... an online retailer?). I mean this. If you give a totally solid reason, I will drop it. Maybe you can also cross reference MvC:I since it sold the same numbers and how that stock issue is being taken care of to help me better understand how this situation is anything other than questionable. I am not being a jerk or condescending, I am dead serious. I will absolutely relent if you can make this make sense. I have stood by 8,000 units being a point of, "sell out" anywhere is questionable in the very least. Maybe you conspiracy theorist for EA can help me better understand these business decisions. And if you do, I will straight up own it and confess I was totally off base. I am willing to do that if something comes along and shakes my opinion like selling out at 8,000 units shook my opinion. I am, after all, an open-minded and reasonable man.

Then you would listen to me and realise EA can't ship more than stores are willing to stock. It's perfectly understandable that retailers are wary because FIFA has never sold well on Nintendo systems. And it isn't even completely sold out as far as I know. Really not sure why you'd have to go all Hollywood on this. No reasonable man would think EA self-sabotaging is the most likely explanation. But sure, it sounds more interesting and it would be cool to believe this was the case.

Of course, EA and Nintendo don't gel, and EA is not doing anything more than they think needs to be done.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I am willing to listen to a logical explanation... you provided none. But I am always willing to entertain a logical explanation. Since you believe you are correct but refused to attempt to show how, from a business standpoint, it is smart to take 9 days to restock a product to an online retailer (of all places... an online retailer?). I mean this. If you give a totally solid reason, I will drop it. Maybe you can also cross reference MvC:I since it sold the same numbers and how that stock issue is being taken care of to help me better understand how this situation is anything other than questionable. I am not being a jerk or condescending, I am dead serious. I will absolutely relent if you can make this make sense. I have stood by 8,000 units being a point of, "sell out" anywhere is questionable in the very least. Maybe you conspiracy theorist for EA can help me better understand these business decisions. And if you do, I will straight up own it and confess I was totally off base. I am willing to do that if something comes along and shakes my opinion like selling out at 8,000 units shook my opinion. I am, after all, an open-minded and reasonable man.

Then you would listen to me and realise EA can't ship more than stores are willing to stock. It's perfectly understandable that retailers are wary because FIFA has never sold well on Nintendo systems. And it isn't even completely sold out as far as I know. Really not sure why you'd have to go all Hollywood on this. No reasonable man would think EA self-sabotaging is the most likely explanation. But sure, it sounds more interesting and it would be cool to believe this was the case.

Of course, EA and Nintendo don't gel, and EA is not doing anything more than they think needs to be done.

In response to your first sentence I said, "even if that were true (it isn't), 9 days to restock? Where is the wise business practice in that? 9 days to restock an online retailer?" That is proof that I am reading your responses, being reasonable, and responding. It is OK though because that point severely damages your point. It should not take 9 days to restock and we both know that. Not on a game that only sold 8,000 units.

You spent more time attacking me than attempting to explain how it makes business sense to take 9 days to restock a game of such low sales to begin with. And I asked you to explain it with an example of another title that sold just as poorly and its stock situation. You failed to do anything of the sort. You can attack me about it... you can say anything you want. But as far as the topical conversation goes, you have provided nothing to progress the conversation or persuade me. And in this conversation, I am now looking to be persuaded.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

GhaudePhaede010 said:
DonFerrari said:

Have you taken out your tinfoil or intend to one day run a company? If they can make profit on switch only an imbecile would sabotage it, and ceo aren't imbeciles.

That's the best you can do? Sad... sad, sad, sad. That reply was so not worth the time you spent typing it. If they do not think they can make a profit on Switch but are contractually obligated to make a game in said franchise for Switch, what would they do? You are speaking like they wanted to make this game and were thinking they could profit? But what if they felt like they couldn't profit. What if they really did not want to make the game but contractually had to? How would they treat the title then?

Calling me a conspiracy theorist is OK with me. Especially when the opposition's only position is to point that finger and give no solid or credible conversation. But as I said, any time a game sells 8,000 and is sold out, something is wrong. Nobody is saying MvC:I was sold out, now are they? If you want to play the conspiracy theorist card, that is fine. But just saying that while adding nothing to the conversation (every post I added to the conversation to back up my position...), you are wasting your time and may I presume that post should be considered beneath you.

If they were doing it only out of obligation and have no term to make it a good port they wouldn't do a special engine and take all the time needed, they could make a very shitty game.

Everyone gave you good points that you ignored and just said that only self-sabotage made sense.

And you try to put all the burden of reposition on EA, have you thought about the possibility that Amazon themselves made the initial order and scheduled the second order? Even more that even if for you 9 days seems like too much depending from where the stock is coming from and how much they are willing to pay on transport cost 1 week travel isn't much? The consoles for example take about 1 month or 2 to go from OEM to shelves and during PS4 launch they had to send by airplane to have a 1 week time?

But you are free to think that EA is just interested in sabotaging their game even if it makes zero sense in business world. After all, all companies want Nintendo to die right? And Sony gone and bought MHW to not appear only on Switch to try to kill Nintendo as well right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

This thread has over 300 replies? Wow!

SpokenTruth said:
Dulfite said:
This thread has over 300 replies? Wow!

Some people feel threatened by a successful Switch and will do anything to see it fail.

This forum never disappoints me. Where else do you get that indescribable feeling that the videogames industry is some holy war that needs to be fought by internet soldiers?

RolStoppable said:
Chrizum said:

This forum never disappoints me. Where else do you get that indescribable feeling that the videogames industry is some holy war that needs to be fought by internet soldiers?

On every video game forum that has sales threads.

It's no different to football fans arguing about their football teams. It's just human nature to fight like this.