By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

Miyamotoo said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Well we now have a logical answer. It is stipulated in EA's contract with Fifa that a game must be made for every major platform. So, that would explain why they may want to sabotage their own title. They really never wanted to work with Nintendo or on Nintendo's hardware but in the case of Fifa, they have no choice. To justify not ever working with Nintendo again, they make a bad product, under ship it, do not promote it, and use the low sales as an excuse to never work on Nintendo's hardware again. This also explains why they would not announce or even talk about making any other titles for Switch, because outside of an outlier situation, they never planned to work on Switch.

Those are some quite theories of conspiracy. :D

For devs is quite simple, if they think they can make profit buy porting some game to some platform, they will port game. People definitely overreacting about those 1% in UK, I mean Fifa 18 on Switch in Japan sold around 22% of all Fifa sales in Japan. :)

In Japan, your SKU can get 22% of all sales, by selling 50% more copies of your SKU than in the UK.

You know, 50% more than ~8000 is ~12000.

In other words, not much. Add the two together (~20000), and you still get ~2.5% of all sales in the UK alone.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Chrizum said:

How about the fact that retailers have to order stock from EA? EA is not the only one with a say in how much stores are going to stock. If retailers are apprehensive to dedicate space to FIFA 18 on Switch (in which they would be correct), stores will not carry as many copies.

And on reorder it takes MORE THAN A WEEK? Even if what you said is true, and it isn't, there is no reason it would take amazon a week to get more stock of Fifa on Switch. Even if you expect it to sell poorly, you are telling me it would take more than a week to replentish stock? Come on.

You're right. Stupid me and my far-fetched theories. EA sabotaging their own shipments sounds much more likely.

Mnementh said:
Miyamotoo said:

For devs is quite simple, if they think they can make profit buy porting some game to some platform, they will port game. People definitely overreacting about those 1% in UK, I mean Fifa 18 on Switch in Japan sold around 22% of all Fifa sales in Japan. :)

Profit is not all, the level of profit is also important. If you block 100 people for say half a year for a project, and you have a choice between a project that probably makes 10% profit and one that makes probably 50% profit - which do you choose?

It is not like these companies have a lot of people sitting around and waiting for something to port. If they driop a port, these people can do somethign else, maybe something more profitable.

But thats again profit. :)

TheWPCTraveler said:
Miyamotoo said:

In Japan, your SKU can get 22% of all sales, by selling 50% more copies of your SKU than in the UK.

You know, 50% more than ~8000 is ~12000.

In other words, not much. Add the two together (~20000), and you still get ~2.5% of all sales in the UK alone.

Actually 12k for Fifa in Japan for still limited instal base is OK, I mean even PS4 version of Fifa 18 sold 56k in Japan while in UK it sold probably around 10x more.

Chrizum said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

And on reorder it takes MORE THAN A WEEK? Even if what you said is true, and it isn't, there is no reason it would take amazon a week to get more stock of Fifa on Switch. Even if you expect it to sell poorly, you are telling me it would take more than a week to replentish stock? Come on.

You're right. Stupid me and my far-fetched theories. EA sabotaging their own shipments sounds much more likely.

It's not so far-fetched.  Nintendo and EA seem to have a rocky history with each other and EA would essentially have to work from scratch, spending tons of money and time to figure out what would sell best for the Switch if it takes off since they've ignored Nintendo platforms for decades. It's probably in EA's best interest if they could maintain the status quo since they already know the kinds of games to make for PS4/xbone audiences and both hardware manufacturers are willing to kill each other for the privilage of spending tons of money to advertise EA's games.  It's a really cushy deal and the Switch might ruin that for them since Nintendo doesn't play that game.

normally I'd say who gives a shit and its not a big deal but then i see all the comments

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
DonFerrari said:

By that logic they could he shipping 200k WW and be enough to break even or start a relationship with Switch and if it's sold out make a second batch of games. Makes much more sense than burn money just to say they tried.

Well we now have a logical answer. It is stipulated in EA's contract with Fifa that a game must be made for every major platform. So, that would explain why they may want to sabotage their own title. They really never wanted to work with Nintendo or on Nintendo's hardware but in the case of Fifa, they have no choice. To justify not ever working with Nintendo again, they make a bad product, under ship it, do not promote it, and use the low sales as an excuse to never work on Nintendo's hardware again. This also explains why they would not announce or even talk about making any other titles for Switch, because outside of an outlier situation, they never planned to work on Switch.

Have you taken out your tinfoil or intend to one day run a company? If they can make profit on switch only an imbecile would sabotage it, and ceo aren't imbeciles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nuvendil said:
Xen said:
Yeahhhhhh... that is the first and now last Fifa that got an honest effort from EA on Nintendo. You can't say that they didn't try!

Given it was missing not only the Journey but also a random selection of features for no apparent reason, got no promotion, apparently was shipped in low numbers, and they posted neither trailers nor in game screenshots anywhere in the build up to launch to even *try* to build interest I can most definitely say they didn't try.  Or at least didn't try very hard.  

Seriously, the fact people are sweeping all this under the rug to give EA - freaking Electronic Arts - the benefit of the doubt is dumbfounding.  

Are you talking about fifa 14 on ps4? Still sold good even with features missing, bundle on x1 and marketing exclusivity.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ok, talking about WW performance.

250,000 units are absolutely the worst scenario, and i would be pretty shocked if in the end it sells so low.

If UK is 1% of all sales, the worst Nintendo market, is logical to think the rest of the world is better than this. Let's forget Japan, since is of course a different market (which account for >12% of FIFA sales)...

Markets like Spain, Germany, Italy should easy have better than a 3% of overall sales. France is the best Nintendo market in Europe so there we are probabily looking at 5% at worst.

The America, which is not a big market for FIFA but it still matter, and like France we can easy see 5% or more.

Now, FIFA usually sells in the 15-20 million units lifetime. Just for have a possible scenario:

1% of all sales = 150,000-200,000
2% = 300,000-400,000
3% = 450,000-600,000
4% = 600,000-800,000
5% = 750,000-1,000,000
ecc

I woul say 1 million is very likely all thing considering. I believe 700/800K looks a realistic prediction, and i think EA will be happy with that.

DonFerrari said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Have you taken out your tinfoil or intend to one day run a company? If they can make profit on switch only an imbecile would sabotage it, and ceo aren't imbeciles.

That's the best you can do? Sad... sad, sad, sad. That reply was so not worth the time you spent typing it. If they do not think they can make a profit on Switch but are contractually obligated to make a game in said franchise for Switch, what would they do? You are speaking like they wanted to make this game and were thinking they could profit? But what if they felt like they couldn't profit. What if they really did not want to make the game but contractually had to? How would they treat the title then?

Calling me a conspiracy theorist is OK with me. Especially when the opposition's only position is to point that finger and give no solid or credible conversation. But as I said, any time a game sells 8,000 and is sold out, something is wrong. Nobody is saying MvC:I was sold out, now are they? If you want to play the conspiracy theorist card, that is fine. But just saying that while adding nothing to the conversation (every post I added to the conversation to back up my position...), you are wasting your time and may I presume that post should be considered beneath you.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Chrizum said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I am willing to listen to a logical explanation... you provided none. But I am always willing to entertain a logical explanation. Since you believe you are correct but refused to attempt to show how, from a business standpoint, it is smart to take 9 days to restock a product to an online retailer (of all places... an online retailer?). I mean this. If you give a totally solid reason, I will drop it. Maybe you can also cross reference MvC:I since it sold the same numbers and how that stock issue is being taken care of to help me better understand how this situation is anything other than questionable. I am not being a jerk or condescending, I am dead serious. I will absolutely relent if you can make this make sense. I have stood by 8,000 units being a point of, "sell out" anywhere is questionable in the very least. Maybe you conspiracy theorist for EA can help me better understand these business decisions. And if you do, I will straight up own it and confess I was totally off base. I am willing to do that if something comes along and shakes my opinion like selling out at 8,000 units shook my opinion. I am, after all, an open-minded and reasonable man.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000