By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Octopath Demo, meh

Jumpin said:
Roar_Of_War said:

That isn't the case. 

So you think a battle system boated with gimmickry is good game design then? I disagree. Any game designer would tell you likewise.

Perception is key here. A good game mechanic and a bad game mechanic are both gimmicks, the only difference is whether or not you enjoy it, and what's used more often in other games.

Calling it a gimmick means nothing. Your favorite games are gimmicks. If you're trying to say nothing should ever try to be different, I can't agree. 

Have you ever spoken to a (relevant) game designer?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
HintHRO said:

Me

That's an odd position to hold. Juse because something is Switch exclusive doesn't mean you have to like it. 1-2 Switch looks like crap hence why I dislike it, exclusivity be damned.

You're welcome.

You want me to drag you into the sewers? You'll float. We all float down here. 

RolStoppable said:
What I gathered from playing the demo with the knight is:

1. Boosting normal attacks is only good when trying to get a break.
2. After a break is achieved, you should use boosted skills.

On the boss of the knight story, a quadruple attack during break does 4x100 damage while a boosted skill does 1000 damage. Regular battles last long when you play to conserve tech points, but when you use skills, it's notably faster. Tech points replenish with every level up and level ups come fast, so there's actually not much reason to hold back.

Battle system and writing are an improvement over Bravely Default, but it's still a developer with a lengthy track record of mediocrity, so who knows how the final game turns out.

Leveling will probably slow down, i assume 

SuperNova said:
The_Yoda said:

Sorry I'm with others, I don't think you were applying any strategy and drawing out your battles as a result.

I agree it seemed a little slow otherwise. I only played the dancers opening. When I hit the first boss fight though I got killed so i went back and did a little grinding to get better gear and breezed through the fight the second time.
The voice acting wasn't terrible.
The art style I was fine with but i really am not sure I cared for the flat forced perspective. I think if I get the game I'll spend a good deal of time walking against walls because with the perspective I won't be able to see that there is a hallway there.

I was a little surprised that the content was as mature as it was i.e. dealing with a "whore" character right out of the gate.

I got pretty far into that Boss fight on my first try and was incredibly annoyed when i couldn't find a way to skip the long cut scene-esque dialog that precedes it. When I died the second time I figured I'd go grind and stock up on equpment, purely so I wouldn't have to deal the dialog again. I'm still not sure if that is bad game design by making it tedious to get to the fight and somewhat lessening the emotional impact or good game design since it discourages you from taking on the fight until you're ready.

I felt the same way a couple minutes of mashing the A botton to skip through the dialog as quickly as I could.  Not so sure about the theory on being good game design since you've already had to sit through all the dialog once before realizing you weren't quite ready for the fight. 

RolStoppable said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Not really an issue when the amount of TP goes up with each level, allowing you to use skills more often until TP need to be replenished.

There's also the question of how the game will really play out. If the eight characters go through their own unique story instead of being merely different starting points that ultimately form the same party at the midway point of the game, then the EXP could be scaled in a way that allows characters to reach level 50-70 in ten hours.

Regardless of how it ends up though, the important point is that conserving TP is a misplaced strategy in this game.

Conserving TP in the demo is not a concern because its early game.Every RPG  in the early hours makes you level up like mad.

Plus its a demo of a game that most likely is a year away from release.I dont think thats an issue to be concerned about.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Nautilus said:
Seems to me that you didnt grasp the battle system at all.The battle system take cues/is an evolution of the Bravely Default franchise.In this game, you need to store your atacks so that you can maximize your turn/strategy, to use it either when the enemy guard is broken, or to break an enemy guard, or to defend a powerful atack.If you know what you are doing, you can breeze through regular battles, as they tend to last around 30 seconds when you know what you are doing.

The battle system is quite honestly excellent.A shame that you didnt get it.

The battle system so far

Actually, it seems you're the one that didn't grasp it since you aren't describing the most efficient tactics. There's not much benefit to storing charges. That actually makes the battles even longer and even more drawn out than they already are using more efficient strategies. There are basically two strategies that work for all non-main boss fights in the game:

1. 3 enemies? Use a slash spell/ability until all enemies are broken > select your long sword, unload charges on one. Repeat until done
2. 1 or 2 enemies? Just charge, select the appropriate weapon, attack, and keep doing that. In many cases the enemy will be constantly broken and unable to attack. When you have two characters working on two enemies, it makes it even easier.
3. Main Boss battles - hit untul broken, then use your most powerful spell/ability- repeat until dead.

The issue is the same tactics are utilized again and again and again and again.
This system is not brilliant or excellent. It's bloated.

No its actually you that didnt grasp it.Saving up Boost points is extremely important.If you face a strong enemy and just try to boost everyy round without any thinking behind it, you will die.Period.The thing that you are making you scream mediocrecy to the game is that its:

1-Its the first hours of the game.Every single RPGs, or most of them anyway, are easy in the early hours.Its to make you invested in it.

2 - Its a demo of a game that its years away.For this demo balancing is an non issue, and I would guess that difficulty will ramp up, but even if balancing was needed, it will happen until the release.

One thing that I will admit is that the game let you level up rather fast, which makes you strong really fast(and replenishes your HP and mana), so that makes the enemies not so much of a challenge.But even then, almost all games are easy in the beggining, bar exceptions.So yeah, you could brute force your way through the demo.But even then, if you were strategising properly, you could beat enemies and bosses much faster.

I get that you didnt like the battle system.Its ok, not everything is for everyone.But saying it has no depth, or saying that switching between weapons makes it more complicated than its needed(please), its simply ridiculous.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

RolStoppable said:
Roar_Of_War said:

Not really an issue when the amount of TP goes up with each level, allowing you to use skills more often until TP need to be replenished.

There's also the question of how the game will really play out. If the eight characters go through their own unique story instead of being merely different starting points that ultimately form the same party at the midway point of the game, then the EXP could be scaled in a way that allows characters to reach level 50-70 in ten hours.

Regardless of how it ends up though, the important point is that conserving TP is a misplaced strategy in this game.

True, but perhaps other factors could change that later on tho somewhat. Also depending on how the demo will be compared to the final game. Fortunately they'll get feedback either way and apply it (hopefully)

I think it's good that it's worth using the system tho at least, just might need some balance tweaks. Luckily it's just a demo. (and maybe that's why they made it like that to begin with, just for the demo? Who knows)TC made it sound like you got no benefit out of it. 

Nautilus said:
Jumpin said:

Actually, it seems you're the one that didn't grasp it since you aren't describing the most efficient tactics. There's not much benefit to storing charges. That actually makes the battles even longer and even more drawn out than they already are using more efficient strategies. There are basically two strategies that work for all non-main boss fights in the game:

1. 3 enemies? Use a slash spell/ability until all enemies are broken > select your long sword, unload charges on one. Repeat until done
2. 1 or 2 enemies? Just charge, select the appropriate weapon, attack, and keep doing that. In many cases the enemy will be constantly broken and unable to attack. When you have two characters working on two enemies, it makes it even easier.
3. Main Boss battles - hit untul broken, then use your most powerful spell/ability- repeat until dead.

The issue is the same tactics are utilized again and again and again and again.
This system is not brilliant or excellent. It's bloated.

No its actually you that didnt grasp it.Saving up Boost points is extremely important.If you face a strong enemy and just try to boost everyy round without any thinking behind it, you will die.Period.The thing that you are making you scream mediocrecy to the game is that its:

1-Its the first hours of the game.Every single RPGs, or most of them anyway, are easy in the early hours.Its to make you invested in it.

2 - Its a demo of a game that its years away.For this demo balancing is an non issue, and I would guess that difficulty will ramp up, but even if balancing was needed, it will happen until the release.

One thing that I will admit is that the game let you level up rather fast, which makes you strong really fast(and replenishes your HP and mana), so that makes the enemies not so much of a challenge.But even then, almost all games are easy in the beggining, bar exceptions.So yeah, you could brute force your way through the demo.But even then, if you were strategising properly, you could beat enemies and bosses much faster.

I get that you didnt like the battle system.Its ok, not everything is for everyone.But saying it has no depth, or saying that switching between weapons makes it more complicated than its needed(please), its simply ridiculous.

You don't think I understand that if you play badly you'll die?

First: Where are you getting that idea from?
Second: That's your challenge to my argument that the battle system is full of needless bloat?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Nautilus said:

You don't think I understand that if you play badly you'll die?

First: Where are you getting that idea from?
Second: That's your challenge to my argument that the battle system is full of needless bloat?

With all due respect, but it doestn seem so.You say there is no difference between doing a 2x atack in every turn and waiting for the right moment to boost your atack and going for the right moment.You say that this is a "gimmicky" battle system(as if the other battle systems from any game arent "gimmicky").Im too lazy to make my own example, so Im using irstupid post as the example:

"Let's use an example. I'm fighting an enemy and I hit him once and it does damage. He attacks me. My next turn I attack him using 3x and notice on the second hit that I get a break. I just learnt that using that weapon, it takes 3 hits total to set him into break mode. IF you didn't notice, break mode means they lose their turn to not only attack that turn, but the following turn.

Thus I keep that in memory. While he is break mode, I DO NOT use my chain attack, I attack with a normal attack, a magic attack, buff myself, heal, summon ally, whatever. The point is, I build up 1 point for the following turn when he gets to attack again. My turn ends, and its my turn again, due ot him being broke,. He is no longer broke, so he will attack after me. I go to 3X attack, because I KNOW that this will break him. Thus he doesn't get ot attack again.

I've fought so many battles, where th enemy has gotten to attack like once to each of my like 8 turns. Heck, lots of times beyond te first round, the enemy never gets to attack again.

That is how you use the break system, not to just endlessly use as much as you can each round, which would be two. You can go to a max of four, even though you can build up higher than that."

There is a difference when its your opinion and when you try to state this as a fact.If it was only your opinion, then its completely fine.I dont like GTA for example, and thats as popular as it gets.But you are comming here as its a fact that the battle system is bloated or stupid, with 99% of the other users here saying otherwise.

Again, I have no problem with your opinion, just how you are pushing it and presenting here to everyone as cold hard facts.

HintHRO said:
KLAMarine said:

That's an odd position to hold. Juse because something is Switch exclusive doesn't mean you have to like it. 1-2 Switch looks like crap hence why I dislike it, exclusivity be damned.

You're welcome.

You want me to drag you into the sewers? You'll float. We all float down here. 

I don't see any video games down there. Just turds. No thanks.

Lola Pop is plenty clown for me anyways.