By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA : Gaming will become access-based like Spotify and Netflix

Yeah, and kill the RPG and open world genres in the process

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure it already is. You need a crappy plastic box you don't want that needs to constantly phone home for you to do anything just to play some games.

The only difference to streaming is that the install times are a lot longer and that you can't use a platform of your choice. So of course people are against it because choice and convenience are literally cancer.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

They said the same thing about movies and music and here we are lp's are booming and dvd/cds are still healthy.

If limitedrungames and stuff like the switch are any indication its going to take a long ass time to achieve that.

If ever fully.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Maybe as an aside, there's also still healthy 'ownership'-markets with music and film. It would depend on how much you cared. I for one don't care about music enough to own CD's, but I do care about me being able to play whatever game whenever I want. I won't enslave myself to the whims of any publisher and I definitely won't be paying subscription fees to a dozen of them. So if EA's streaming-hell-future becomes a reality, I guess I won't be playing any new games anymore. Luckily there's enough to play from all the other generations, I don't need new things.

Who am I to say what should and shouldn't happen, but if this is the future really then I can't do much about it.

But if you're saying I'll HAVE to use a tablet or phone to play games. FCK that! I'd rather stop gaming and finding another hobby.

The digital market of "games" needs to crash somehow, I'm sure of that. I don't want that shit in my alley anymore, it has been too long already.

Around the Network

This company has been wrong on the physical-doomsday shit for years now. This is yet another fallacy. They WANT all of us to become slaves to their business by taking used games out of our hands. It's never going to happen.

I'm open to a great streaming alternative, but I'm not using a tablet as a controller. I will go to other platforms to avoid that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Sega would have done all of gaming a massive favor by pulling the plug on EA at CES 1991.

Huh... weird, we have that now just with older games and they don't mention it. :P

I don't mind it becoming this, as long as it's a good price but the issue comes from the original fears of 'spliting' up the content. Let's say you only buy FIFA every year from EA, no other EA games, EA service is the only service to include FIFA but it's $10 a month (this is because it includes all games new and old). You'd have to sign up to just EA service for $120 for a $60 game.

It will only work is PS and Xbox do a service themselves and the publishers put their games on it or if an independent does it.

And keep this in mind. NO ONE wants to use a 'device' as a controller. Get over yourselves EA.

Hmm, pie.

I can't do that...the splintering of streaming video services already has me ready to run away from that situation entirely.

It's one thing to stream a set of older gen games out of convenience, but I can't see myself streaming new games. I think that's where the generational gap is going to hit for me.

My future kids probably won't give a shit, though, and if that's what they wanna do, then fine. I can't be a part of it because I still like owning my physical media.