By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA : Gaming will become access-based like Spotify and Netflix

Just like modern video games will die in the wake of Mobile....

Not. They can both coexist. Streaming/ access based might boost the video game economy but I don't think it will completely replace it. And if it does then I am no longer a gamer. Will just start collecting old games :P.

Around the Network

Agreed. I can see this being the future or at least companies trying.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

The comparison with the music and movie industry isn't a good one.
Those companies didn't have HW to go along their music/movies; any device would allow you to hear/listen to music/movies.

With games, the starting point is that 1st party games are exclusive to the company's HW and each company has their own view on what the HW should be (clearly affecting how they build their games).
So, are Sony, MS and Nintendo willing to give up their HW and respective HW strategies, and adhere to a "universal" HW?

Personally, i really wish that i could get to play this and that game without having to buy more HW, but i really can't see that happening anytime soon.

If this happens, I'll be retro only

1doesnotsimply

I think that we'll see this become a way to expand and grow the number of console game players. Not replace the current distribution model (retail / digital download).

There are just too many barriers to streaming games for it to become the primary distribution model any time soon.

Around the Network

Sounds like EA wants to kill Playstation. I can respect that.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I actually expect it to become like this too myself, though it's not a future that I'm looking forward to.

Mar1217 said:
VGPolyglot said:
I actually expect it to become like this too myself, though it's not a future that I'm looking forward to.

Will probably all be in our 60's or 70's by then and we'll have collected enough games to not even want to touch these filthy creations.

If MS got their way with the XB1, I think it would have happened much sooner.

Haha, get fucked EA. The day this happens is the day I stop gaming, luckily Nintendo is smart enough never to head down such a path.

I'll probably go exclusively retro at that point.