By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you de-stress or cheer yourself up?

Kill shit on Destiny

Around the Network

Usually I tend to workout, gets me relieved easily. It's like you're "sporting" the stress away. Some good music always helps, so I pop in a CD and off I go.

In more severe cases I hop into my car and just go for a drive - destination and length unknown. That'll always get me back to earth. (Unless when I'm angry, could be dangerous.)

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

The simplest answer is to keep your life/brain busy so you don't have time to overthink and stress.

A routine can become boring and you end up in the same state. So mix it up. The things people mentioned are all good ways to de-stress but will eventually not work if it become a repeated pattern as by nature you will get bored.

drugs...

kidding...

for some reason, popping calm me down big time... even i don't have to poop, i would just sit down the toilet and get paid pooping at work

Physical activity is extremely important two one's mental and emotional well-being. Even if you don't find exercise fun, figure out a way to get some.

I do a couple of light, short hikes a couple of times a week. How usually smoke a cigar too, and stare into my phone some of the time, but it results in some easy, enjoyable exercise. In fact, I'm walking in the park and smoking a cigar right now.

A couple of years ago, I began to integrate gaming and exercise. I bought an exercise bike, which I would ride for 30 or 45 minutes while doing Simple gaming activities. I started by doing Patrol missions in Destiny, grinding for upgrade materials. But, I've also done side quests in many other games well on the bike. It works pretty well for me.

Around the Network

It sounds like mental pubescence... the mind is a deep place and now may be the best time to find out more about how you can be more. Think of it as a time to build the person you want to be.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Bristow9091 said:

So as the other mods, and even some members (Especially those who are on discord), can tell you; due to my lifestyle and mental health, I get both stressed and depressed a LOT, and lately I've been finding it harder and harder to de-stress and relax after a rough day or two. (Although my bouts of depression can hit for weeks at a time, sometimes even months with no hope of getting better, but more of that later...)

These days I rarely, if ever, find games to be a stress relief, if they're online games (Overwatch, I love it but damn it's so cancerous and toxic) they stress me out even more, and since I limit myself to only playing one singleplayer game at a time (I don't like playing multiple games at once, I like to finish them in a linear fashion), The Witcher 3 has become less fun and is beginning to feel like a punishment, a chore I have to endure before I can move onto anything else.

I've been reading a lot more lately, but even then it doesn't exactly de-stress me, I have to be in a good mood before I even begin to start reading, otherwise I can't focus on it whatsoever and attempting to do so ironically stresses me out even more. 

It seems like the only thing I can do some (Also known as most to me) days is drink myself into a drunken state where I just don't care enough to feel stressed, but due to my history with drinking, this is not healthy, and I know this yet I still ignore that fact and do it anyway.

Music can work to SOME extent, although my music choices are dependant on my mood, and honestly some days I just feel worse for listening to music, like if I'm depressed and feeling down I'll listen to The Amity Affliction, which, as much as I love their music, isn't exactly a wise choice, it just makes me feel even more like shit.

I guess I'm both looking for suggestions and asking the question; How do you de-stress or cheer yourself up?

Jeez man... your situation sounds incredibly complex and hard to deal with. I can't imagine what type of pain you feel on a regular basis. Nevertheless, there are some options you can consider

- Taking A Warm Shower/Bath: Whenever I'm stressed, 5 minutes in the shower is all it takes to refresh me and clear my head. It can provide temporary relief to stress   

- Lifting Weights: Works great as a placebo effect. Feeling like you're the strongest man alive and can do anything in the world provides great relief. Chest Press works best for me.

- Play a More Relaxed Game: Games like ABZU and Flower are great choices sense they provide a more relaxed version of mental stimulation. 

- Talk to a Friend: A dedicated friend that is able to listen to your concerns and try to help you with your problems will be the best method of controlling stress and depression. Talk to someone outside of the internet or engage in communication with your fellow VGChartz members. They're always available to help you in a time of need.

- Psychiatric Help: Only for severe cases, but sitting down with a trained professional and getting things off your chest is useful.

Listening to music, exercising, eating, playing games, meditation. And sometimes if it is a really stressful matter, talk about it with a friend, family member, or counselor.

Exercise and weed.

As a recommendation maybe you can fill up a calendar with your interests. Dedicate every month or two to that particular interest.