By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you de-stress or cheer yourself up?

I know what you mean - I deal with stress and depression a lot myself. And honestly, as depressing as it is, distractions are the only temporary remedies. I think part of your stress comes from your forced way of playing games. Locking yourself into one game is a good idea but I think it's making things that much harder for you. You've basically eliminated a stress relief by playing games this way.

There's a few Let's Players that I watch when I just want to have a laugh or watch them play through a game. Laughing at someone else's (legit) rage is stress reliving, especially when they know they're funny. Just messing around in Breath of the Wild or Ever Oasis is relaxing too.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

Perhaps try listening to some new bands? The Amity Affliction are a good band and all, however, I would hardly recommend them to someone who is depressed. They would work for hitting the gym/blowing off steam.

Try listening to something that sounds more laid back. Music has been known to have different effects on moods depending on its sound.

Your avatar says "House of El" so I am assuming that you are into comics. Perhaps their is a comicbook TV series that you have yet to watch? I find watching an excellent series as a good way to wind down. Comicbook TV shows are one of my favourites to binge watch haha.
Obviously there are plenty of other quality TV shows, however, I don't know your tastes so I would feel like it would be overly presumptuous to throw a list of shows at you.

Exercise is definitely recommended. You stated that you don't like going to the gym. I get that. I dislike the gym too, I find the atmosphere a little daunting. Having a walk through a reserve/park is always nice. Do it when it isn't too busy, that way you can listen to nature. Listening to different things, like the wind rustling the leaves, the sound of birds etc. Being in-tune with something else other than your own thoughts, I personally find this helpful.

That's my two cents. I hope that you find something that works for you.

JWeinCom said:
Exercise and weed.

Haha XD

I am going to have to play devil's advocate here though. The combination of exercise and weed is usually non-existent, as weed has been known to cause lazziness.

I bang college girls.

Weed and music

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

Oh I have a HUGE library of music, that was just an example, some days I may be in the mood for something completely different like Passion Pit lol.

Yes, I'm a big comic fan (Huge, actually, lol), although I'm pretty much caught up with all the shows, aside from the latest seasons of Arrow and Flash, along with Iron Fist and the Defenders Netflix series', keep meaning to watch them at some point, but never find myself in the mood to actually do so. A show I do love watching and really hope they'd put the next season on Netflix though, is Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it's one of those shows I can easily watch over and over, along with stuff like Scrubs and HIMYM. 

There is a park rather close to me, but it's basically become a nesting ground for drug addicts and hooligans, also known as chavs lol, someone actually got raped there last month, my area is not a safe one... shame really since it's a lovely park too, even has a lake and a climbing rock, but man there's no way I'd ever walk around it on my own, and I don't have anyone to walk along with, not on a regular basis anyway, due to work schedules and stuff.

You seem to have a similar taste in TV to me, seeing as those TV shows that you have listed I like too.
The IT Crowd (UK) is an excellent British comedy that I find I can rewatch quite often. Black Books is quite good too.
For what its worth, I enjoyed Iron Fist despite the negative reception.

It is a pity that the park near you has been reduced to such a state.
Perhaps something like Yoga would work? I mean, you can do Yoga in the comfort of your own home, it keeps you fit, and it certainly helps to relieve stress. It does all these things without throwing you into an intimidating exercise regime.

I noticed that you posted elsewhere on this thread that you usually attend music festivals, however, this year you unfortunately miss out due to work. I would suggest, if feasible, to take the week off and go somewhere that is different from the norm. For example, go to the beach and enjoy some alcohol and quality reading by the shore. Find something that you will find appealing for that week you take off. It sounds like work keeps you busy, so make the most of the time you have off. I hope that what I am saying doesn't come across as being too preachy haha.

Logging off of VGC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Sleeping

... I play games. There are times all I think about is just sitting at home away from everything and playing games, doesn't matter which one I'm on at the time but games.

Hmm, pie.