By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you de-stress or cheer yourself up?

Bristow9091 said:
Leadified said:

I'd get that checked out because your insomnia might be contributing to your stress or your stress is preventing you from sleeping.

Yeah I've been told that by multiple people, and I've talked about it with both my epilepsy nurse and doctor... both medications I'm currently on, levetiracetam and phenobarbital, can be prescribed to help insomnia, and when i was first prescribed the phenobarbital they accidentally overdosed me on them, rather than 30mg a day (I'm now on 90mg a day after working up to it over a two year period), they gave me 150mg a day, and for about two month I was actually getting 8-10 hours of sleep per day, but I also had absolutely no energy whatsoever, was passing out more often, my speech was slurred (I already have a lisp but this was like I was drunk ANd on morphine or something), and I couldn't even process any thoughts properly, it was a very strange experience indeed. It was soon sorted out and they gave me the correct dosage (Turns out the pharmercy got my dosage mixed up with someone else who was prescribed the same medication... lovely)

My doctor has said that since I've been sleeping so little for so long, my body has regulated to my unusual timetable and although he recommends trying everything I can to reset my bodyclock and get more sleep per night, my body is "healthy" in its current state... I put quotation marks because of the way he said it, my body isn't healthy as such, just that it's not in a terrible place, it's sort of in limbo where you're not sure how everything is working, it just sort of... is.

Yeah, it will probably take a while for everything to sort itself back but you'll get there eventually. Hopefully if you get out of the limbo then the rest of your stressors might ease up as well.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Bristow9091 said:

I'm actually saving money up at the moment to put a deposit down on a house with my girlfriend, which means for a while now I've been severely limiting my amount of game purchases, but this month I've bought Knack 2 (Preordered it months ago) and Yakuza 0, and while I did feel happy when Knack 2 arrived (Yakuza 0 should be here tomorrow), I then remembered that I won't be allowing myself to play it until I've cleared more games in my backlog, then I put it on my backlog shelf which  never seems to go down, and the fact that TW3 is taking forever isn't helping either, lol.

You owe it to your own mental health to splurge on something, preferably not video games though since you got that down on lock.

Maybe a nice date at a restaurant. Maybe a new shirt. Maybe dual exhaust for your car. Maybe something imported. Idk.

Also to change monotony, move around your furniture, make it look new. Maybe even if your bed changed places, you could sleep easier. You never know until you try. Also of course when you get the money, get a new mattress :P.

Those are some great suggestions :) Treats and change, in moderation, can certainly be yet more factors to help a upward swing.

VGPolyglot said:
Nymeria said:
1. Lifting / exercise
2. Friends / Family
3. Video Games / Movies
4. Banging / Intercourse

Just remember where you are... You may have just gotten people to have some weird thoughts about you.

*Shrugs* I enjoy it and hope everyone here gets some great sex of their own. If people have hang ups on perfectly healthy adult activities that's on them.

Bristow9091 said:
Farsala said:

You owe it to your own mental health to splurge on something, preferably not video games though since you got that down on lock.

Maybe a nice date at a restaurant. Maybe a new shirt. Maybe dual exhaust for your car. Maybe something imported. Idk.

Also to change monotony, move around your furniture, make it look new. Maybe even if your bed changed places, you could sleep easier. You never know until you try. Also of course when you get the money, get a new mattress :P.

I'm going to the cinema and for something to eat with my girlfriend on Monday, not sure where we're eating yet, but there's some nice places around the cinema we're going to... she also bought me a new tshirt a couple of weeks ago, an Overwatch tshirt lol, she actually bought me two but said I'll have to wait until my birthday for the other. I WOULD buy a new exhaust for my car... if I had one. Due to my epilepsy, I've only just been able to apply for my provisional license, eight years later than expected, it's a miracle I've even managed to get it this early. 

Also within the last six months I've rearranged this room twice, bought some new book ends for my comics and books, some new fridge magnets (Yes, I have a fridge in my gaming room, talk about luxury...), and changed the posters I have hanging for new ones... and as for the bed situation, we actually bought a brand new bed and mattress in July, it's much comfier than the old one, and doesn't squeek while we're... exercising. 

Doesn't sound like you saving money with that description haha.

But yeah if you are always going on simple dates, then go on a luxurious date once. Something both of you can enjoy.

If you often get new clothes, get something new or odd like a sweater or something.

If she drives could hook her up :P.

More exercise is good even if its.... exercise.

Again to break monotony, maybe go on a day off+ weekend go on a daytrip somewhere random and explore.

It usually depends why I'm stressed, if its something specific that I have some control over then I'll normally try to get it sorted. For more general stress normally what works best for me is a combination of

1. Doing something I really like, usually something nostalgic like watching an old series I've always liked or replaying an old single player game I really enjoy. But really it could be just reading or watching a ton of documentaries about something that interests me.

and

2. Shut off most of the outside world, no multiplayer games, don't bother with any social media, no forums, no youtube, don't check the news, no social events

and if possible

3. Some basic exercise like a walk or run, this is something I'm bad at sticking with, but at times it has really helped me. I'd recommend not doing this at 1 or 2 AM though like I used to.

Also a good 7-8 hours sleep if possible, my doctor has told me a minimum of 6 but of course getting sleep can be difficult for all sorts of reasons, stress itself being one of them.

When I get a week off work, I'll usually spend 4-5 days just relaxing in solitude and I love it. I try to avoid doing things that will just add to my stress and problems such as excessive drinking or eating since I have done both those and more in the past and they only gave me a brief moment to forget, but added a whole new set of longer lasting problems.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
Cheesecake. When I don't have, I just suffer through it (probably playing some game).

I also punched a wall once, but the wall wasn't strong and left a mark. So never again.

Me and you, we have chemistry. Cheesecake cures all sadness and stress. Don't know too much about the punching the wall stuff but yeah!

Slarvax said:
Cheesecake. When I don't have, I just suffer through it (probably playing some game).

I also punched a wall once, but the wall wasn't strong and left a mark. So never again.

I also puched into a plasterboard wall, unfortunately it was also at work in front of my boss. I then decided that was the time to throw a roll of shrink wrap that I was holding at said wall, embedding it as I made the decision that I was now walking out of my job and needed to lose the roll before I inadvertently stole it.

This sort of temporarily satisified me but was not a good decision overall, but its long in the past now. I wonder how common wall punching really is.

Cheesecake is good though.

Nymeria said:
VGPolyglot said:

Just remember where you are... You may have just gotten people to have some weird thoughts about you.

*Shrugs* I enjoy it and hope everyone here gets some great sex of their own. If people have hang ups on perfectly healthy adult activities that's on them.

I didn't mean it that way

Cycling is my best stress relief, in winter jogging will do. I can leave the house stressing over whatever is going through my mind and come back completely zen. Being physically tired helps with sleeping at night too. Mental tiredness only seems to keep me up longer.

Siesta while listening to nature documentaries.