By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overlooked systems

The 3DO! Lots of companies that made it big on later systems like the PlayStation and Saturn got their start developing 3DO games. Examples:

Solar Eclipse = Saturn
Total Eclipse = 3DO

Enemy Zero = Saturn
D = 3DO

I would also suggest Sega CD (think: Out of This World, Heart of the Alien, the Lunar games, the masterpiece that is Sewer Shark ( ;) ), etc.!), as some others have, but I would definitely say that it's been less forgotten than the 3DO.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
The 3DO! Lots of companies that made it big on later systems like the PlayStation and Saturn got their start developing 3DO games. Examples:

Solar Eclipse = Saturn
Total Eclipse = 3DO

Enemy Zero = Saturn
D = 3DO

You forgot a much bigger one: Need for Speed.

Commodore PET, Vic 20, and 64. While they were actually quite popular. There's always this talk of a "video game crash" in the 1980s during their heyday. This crash didn't really happen, it's a fiction. Tens of millions of people were still playing video games on Commodore consoles. Atari failed because they fell behind and had less compelling hardware and software than Commodore, but people didn't become disinterested in gaming. NES was successful because it essentially pulled a Wii, using a disruptive + blue market strategy, taking the lead.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Slap&Ride said:
SuperNova said:
The Atari Lynx is pretty fascinating hardware. It was developed around the same time Nintendo started work on the gameboy and was a 16-bit handheld with a color screen and better battery life than the game gear. Pretty incredible by comparison.

It was basically a little portable Amiga and was developed by two former amiga engeneers at Epyx. They tried hard to pitch it to Nintendo, not knowing that Nintnendo was already working on the gameboy and were probably some of the first people to find out about it.
They then went to Atari for a licensing deal, but got royally screwed over by them in one of those infamous Tramiel deals and that's how Atari got their hands on the machine.

No one ever mentions Amiga on this site. It’s the system of my childhood. Had A600 and A1200 Tower. Technically Amiga CD32 was a console so… yes Amiga is overlooked and forever in the shadow of PS1 and Saturn (and IBM PC;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32

The Amiga was an incredible computer. Lightyears ahead of the competition at the time. If commodore hadn't screwed up and basically let go of most of the engeneering team that designed it and budget cut the Amiga line until further innovation was impossible, they might actually have survived the 90s.

With the Acorn computers you at least have their incedible legacy in the fact that the ARM architechture is used in almost all cellphones, tablets and even the switch now. But the Amiga barely gets any credit for it's achievements.

SuperNova said:
Slap&Ride said:

No one ever mentions Amiga on this site. It’s the system of my childhood. Had A600 and A1200 Tower. Technically Amiga CD32 was a console so… yes Amiga is overlooked and forever in the shadow of PS1 and Saturn (and IBM PC;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32

The Amiga was an incredible computer. Lightyears ahead of the competition at the time. If commodore hadn't screwed up and basically let go of most of the engeneering team that designed it and budget cut the Amiga line until further innovation was impossible, they might actually have survived the 90s.

With the Acorn computers you at least have their incedible legacy in the fact that the ARM architechture is used in almost all cellphones, tablets and even the switch now. But the Amiga barely gets any credit for it's achievements.

I'm sorry but i dont understand the Acorn reference to Amiga. Warent they competition from what i read on wiki?

Around the Network

Even if not directly obscure I would say Commodore 64 and Commodore Amiga 500.

Since this forum is very US-centric no one here talks about them but here in Europe they both where huge.

Also Amiga 500 was the undisputed king of the 16-bit era when it comes to visuals and sound.

Spindel said:
Even if not directly obscure I would say Commodore 64 and Commodore Amiga 500.

Since this forum is very US-centric no one here talks about them but here in Europe they both where huge.

Also Amiga 500 was the undisputed king of the 16-bit era when it comes to visuals and sound.

Here in eastern europe nobody had Amiga. Till 1990ish we had nothing and then when Soviet Union fell we had NES clones. I learned about Amiga only in the recent years thanks to a Portugese youtuber that I'm subscribed to.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Slap&Ride said:
SuperNova said:

I'm sorry but i dont understand the Acorn reference to Amiga. Warent they competition from what i read on wiki?

Yes they were. It just made me think of the Acorn, another relatively obscure system. I just meant that they both brought incredible innovation to home computing but that while the Amiga is sadly largely forgotten, Acorns legacy lives on because they developed the ARM architecture and utilized RISK instruction sets, wich are still used today by everybody and their grandmas.

The Amigas unique architechture allowed for it to be used for gaming, as well as graphic design, animation, sound design and production etc. all in one machine. It was a powerhouse for creative professionals that was relatively affordable. That wasn't common back then, but it rarely gets the credit for that

In 20 years time the few people that knew about it will forget the Wii U was an actual system that existed. Not only because it sold less than the Vita and its awful name, but also because all its games were ported to the Switch. "Zeruda Botw? MK8? Oh yeah nice Switch launch games!"

The Saturn