By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overlooked systems

Sega Saturn, PS Vita, TG16, Neo-Geo CDZ.

Around the Network

N-Gage. It was a damn fine system for its time. It was basically a smartphone, only years before the first iPhone. It could do MP3, it had a web brwoser and it supported apps. Plus there was no DRM, the thing was homebrew enabled by default. There really was nothing you couldn't do with the N-Gage. Plus it had some damn fine games. Playing Tomb Raider or Tony Hawk on the go was mighty impressive back in the days. Plus Pathway to Glory is one of the best strategy titles I have ever played. The device was great and received way too much hate for no reason at all.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Ljink96 said:
curl-6 said:

The Neo Geo was pretty cool; my brother used to own one, and from its crazy good arcade ports to its ridonkulously huge cartridges, (seriously, they were bigger than VHS tapes) it was a really badarse system.

I also have a soft spot for the Saturn; didn't own one myself but one of my cousins did, and as someone who's interested in the technical side of gaming, its quirky hardware (2 CPUs, 2 different video processors, quads instead of triangles) is intriguing.

Yeah, most people don't know that in theory the Saturn was more powerful than the PS1. Developers just didn't know how to effectively use the 2 CPUs. Rendering quads at that time was very interesing and kind of unheard of for any game console as PS1 could only render tris. It had a lot of potential but was cut short by Sega's incompetence and messy marketing strategies. The Saturn itself doesn't have many US games and even worse not many of them are any good. Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon were kickass games though.

Yeah I find it really interesting how the Saturn's powerful but complicated hardware compares to the more straightforward PS1. It was one of those systems where only a few games really showed its full potential due to how difficult it was to properly optimize for.

Sega apparently underestimated the importance of 3D going forwards and designed the Saturn as more of a 2D powerhouse, then threw in some extra chips at the last minute when they heard about what PS1 could do. Still, games like Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers showed it could hold its own when games were tailored to the hardware.

Wonderswan

Neo Geo CD

Neo Geo Pocket

TurboGrafX16/TGCD

Dreamcast

PSVita

SEGA Saturn

Wii U

SEGA Master System

Most of these but not all were very popular in Japan and have big libraries over there. Often great games. In systems like TG16, Saturn, Dreamcast, Neo Geo Pocket, SMS and Vita a small portion of their games made it west while the rest and mostly best games are in Japan. Saturn has well over 600 games overall. Dreamcast 700 officially. Only 248 of them made it to the US and 219 in PAL.  These systems with a couple exceptions just had hundreds of great games but sadly stuck in Japan.

curl-6 said:
Ljink96 said:

Yeah, most people don't know that in theory the Saturn was more powerful than the PS1. Developers just didn't know how to effectively use the 2 CPUs. Rendering quads at that time was very interesing and kind of unheard of for any game console as PS1 could only render tris. It had a lot of potential but was cut short by Sega's incompetence and messy marketing strategies. The Saturn itself doesn't have many US games and even worse not many of them are any good. Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon were kickass games though.

Yeah I find it really interesting how the Saturn's powerful but complicated hardware compares to the more straightforward PS1. It was one of those systems where only a few games really showed its full potential due to how difficult it was to properly optimize for.

Sega apparently underestimated the importance of 3D going forwards and designed the Saturn as more of a 2D powerhouse, then threw in some extra chips at the last minute when they heard about what PS1 could do. Still, games like Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers showed it could hold its own when games were tailored to the hardware.

Fun fact: its 2D prowess is so prevalent, that the best version of SF: Alpha 3 is on the Saturn, beating out even the Dreamcast. Granted, you needed a RAM expansion for it, but still.

Go check the prices for SF Zero 3 on ebay.

Around the Network

The Atari Lynx is pretty fascinating hardware. It was developed around the same time Nintendo started work on the gameboy and was a 16-bit handheld with a color screen and better battery life than the game gear. Pretty incredible by comparison.

It was basically a little portable Amiga and was developed by two former amiga engeneers at Epyx. They tried hard to pitch it to Nintendo, not knowing that Nintnendo was already working on the gameboy and were probably some of the first people to find out about it.
They then went to Atari for a licensing deal, but got royally screwed over by them in one of those infamous Tramiel deals and that's how Atari got their hands on the machine.

The Vita.

Sure it's the butt of many jokes and Sony made some major missteps with it ( memory cards still insanely expensive)

I love my vita though.

Most under appreciated console thats not from SEGA is probably Gamecube. It has to this day still the best library out of any Nintendo home console, yet it sold the least (after Wii U). I think its "failure" was what drove Nintendo into gimmicks. They seem to have climbed out of that hole now finally, but man we had like 11 years of nothing but gimmicky consoles from them.

Ultrashroomz said:
FM Towns Marty, because that is the best name for a console ever.

Sounds like the most random name to me.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

SuperNova said:
The Atari Lynx is pretty fascinating hardware. It was developed around the same time Nintendo started work on the gameboy and was a 16-bit handheld with a color screen and better battery life than the game gear. Pretty incredible by comparison.

It was basically a little portable Amiga and was developed by two former amiga engeneers at Epyx. They tried hard to pitch it to Nintendo, not knowing that Nintnendo was already working on the gameboy and were probably some of the first people to find out about it.
They then went to Atari for a licensing deal, but got royally screwed over by them in one of those infamous Tramiel deals and that's how Atari got their hands on the machine.

No one ever mentions Amiga on this site. It’s the system of my childhood. Had A600 and A1200 Tower. Technically Amiga CD32 was a console so… yes Amiga is overlooked and forever in the shadow of PS1 and Saturn (and IBM PC;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32