By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overlooked systems

What obscure or rarely talked about video game systems do you think deserve more recognition and appreciation, and why?

Around the Network

The Vectrex, cuz... just google it, you'll know lol

Such a unique console that was very cool in its time.

The Wii U deserved more sales due to amazing support in 2014

The Vita deserved more sales - although honestly not too many more, considering how greedy it's memory card model was. 

I guess dreamcast falls into this. It got destroyed by segas bad reputation and Ps2's enormous hype.
But I adored that console. So many amazing games. It died way too young. 

The Sega CD actually has some pretty good games. Yeah, it may have been unnecessary and not the success Sega had hoped, but unlike the 32X it did have games that made full use of its potential.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:

Wow, it must have looked impressive back in the day. :o

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I think one could make a case for all Sega systems, aside from the core Genesis. All of them had some great games, but not of them performed particularly well. Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn are rarely mentioned at all. Dreamcast and Master System get a tiny bit of run on sites like this one. But, they were all significant in te development of gaming in the late 80's and throughout the 90's.

Sega Game Gear as well. That thing was awesome in its day, but it never caught on, and it gets zero love in the history books.

LipeJJ said:
Johnw1104 said:

Wow, it must have looked impressive back in the day. :o

Yeah, while the vector graphics resulted in only one color (which is why they often packed in overlays for the screen), it also allowed for the closest thing we'd see to three dimensional gameplay on a console for quite some time. Their Star Wars trench run was awesome compared to the competition.

It's just a very neat, unique system. The only reason they even made it is that they had a surplus of those TVs and decided to turn them into a console lol

The Neo Geo was pretty cool; my brother used to own one, and from its crazy good arcade ports to its ridonkulously huge cartridges, (seriously, they were bigger than VHS tapes) it was a really badarse system.

I also have a soft spot for the Saturn; didn't own one myself but one of my cousins did, and as someone who's interested in the technical side of gaming, its quirky hardware (2 CPUs, 2 different video processors, quads instead of triangles) is intriguing.