By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kotaku - Switch is Dominating PS4 in Japan

Slarvax said:
Fair to point out the 3DS was not doing well at all at $250, as a handheld. Just because you can take the Switch outside doesn't mean it was an easy sell for Nintendo.

This, 3DS really start selling good after price cut at $170, while Switch is selling great with $300 and Nintendo actually can't keep up with demand.

Pinkie_pie said:
We get a a lot of threads about switch dominating in Japan. Weird how we hardly or don't get threads about ps4 dominating in Europe and worldwide

Well PS4 almost 4 years on market, so its not rely hot news any more than PS4 dominating in Europe and in rest of the world, but despite that from time to time we have "PS4 dominating" threads. Switch is 6 months on market so news like those are still "fresh". Also it's interesting that Nintendo is dominating in Japan because PS4 is dominating in rest of world.

Kerotan said:
Jranation said:

Yep! They dont know that Nintendo "handhelds" always do well. 

I'm a hardcore Sony fan and I always expected Switch to do well like every Nintendo portable. So your generalising statements are false to say the least. 

Just huge difference is that Switch is hybrid with $300 price point, basically price point of Nintendo home console (that goes same for Switch games, Switch game have price point home console games not of handheld games), remember, 3DS start selling good only after price cut to $170, Switch is selling great and Nintendo actually can't keep with demand with much higher price point.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
We get a a lot of threads about switch dominating in Japan. Weird how we hardly or don't get threads about ps4 dominating in Europe and worldwide

Tbf, almost every time we get new WW numbers here the thread turns into a ps4 dominating thread lol

Those 69 week for PS4 sales includes holiday season, while Switch still didnt had 1st holiday season, also Switch managed to make those numbers with fact that still heavily supply constrained, most likely Switch could easily pass 2m in Japan alone without those stock issues.

VitroBahllee said:
Love how all of Nintendo's successes are easy for people to explain away. If victory in the handheld space is so easy, why doesn't some other company get the number one handheld? I've asked this before, and heard "Other companies aren't interested," as though they hadn't tried and failed multiple times and handheld profits are in lesser currency than consoles.

Mobile companies pretty much did :p I'm not really sure who your comment is aimed at though. No one above you has claimed winning in the handheld space is 'easy', just that on average they do a lot better than home consoles (relative to global performance). Hence the general lack of surprise from many on both 'sides'.

We can still praise the Switch for its performance in Japan, but it's hard to do so with much enthusiasm. It's performance in the west is a lot more interesting for most.

Kerotan said:
Breaking news: portable console sells better then traditional home console in Japan!

Further more it's a portable and home console (hybrid) so these sales are not surprising at all. In fact Switch could have sold at least double if it had the stock.

*cough* Vita *cough*

And for that regard: Wonderswan, Lynx and Nvidia Shield. It's not like portable consoles get a free pass, it has to be a GOOD portable console.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Jranation said:
"Switch will be dead on arrival"

" Switch will sell shit like the Wii U cause its underpowered and no 3rd party AAA support"

" Nintendo should go third party developers"

Kerotan said:
Jranation said:

Yep! They dont know that Nintendo "handhelds" always do well. 

I'm a hardcore Sony fan and I always expected Switch to do well like every Nintendo portable. So your generalising statements are false to say the least. 

Lawlight said:
Kerotan said:

This. Anyone who follows sales know that their handhelds do well.

I was talking to those people who said the quotes I wrote. If you're not one of them then dw about it. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

And the Switch would be doing even better if it wasn't for those damn stock issues.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Mnementh said:
Kerotan said:
Breaking news: portable console sells better then traditional home console in Japan!

Further more it's a portable and home console (hybrid) so these sales are not surprising at all. In fact Switch could have sold at least double if it had the stock.

*cough* Vita *cough*

And for that regard: Wonderswan, Lynx and Nvidia Shield. It's not like portable consoles get a free pass, it has to be a GOOD portable console.

Vita - not supported by Sony (why would you when you have the PS4)

Switch - full support of Nintendo

Spot the difference.

Lawlight said:
Mnementh said:

*cough* Vita *cough*

Vita - not supported by Sony (why would you when you have the PS4)

Switch - full support of Nintendo

Spot the difference.

I think that's his point; something being a handheld doesn't automatically make it a success. The Vita does serve as evidence of how much easier it can be for handhelds to succeed in Japan (despite its terrible support from Sony, it still managed to beat the WiiU and it remained competitive against the PS4 for a while), but it also shows that handhelds aren't automatically victors.

NATO said:
A 29,980 yen handheld outselling a 39,980 yen home console in Japan? Say it ain't so.

Oh wow! The Switch is a $100 cheaper even though you get a handheld and a home console! Thats Crazy! 

Pocky Lover Boy!