By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kotaku - Switch is Dominating PS4 in Japan

killeryoshis said:
outlawauron said:

Going to need some stronger showings in Japan first. The more niche offerings have done pretty well in the West (except Fate: Extella), but they've not done very well in Japan. Considering that the majority of PSV games have been on PS4 for the past year or two, I see a far more likely near future of PS4 only and PS4/Switch games.

What?

Ps4 is a 8th generation console so of course it will look like it has more support. Right now we are in the transition of 8th to 9th generation. I expect that the number of PS4/Vita titles to go down and replaced by more PS4/Switch titles. Right now 3rd parties are just porting games right now to the Switch. However by 2019 we will start seeing more full fledged support. The 3DS devlopers will also start putting titles on the Switch as early as next year. Also  I am expecting Sony to release the PS5 in 2018 or 2019 so.  PS4 will be declining in support by 2019 . When 9th generation is in full swing I expect the Switch to have a bulk of the 3rd party support by 2020.  

So in 3 years, you expect the only platform Nintendo has to have the bulk of 3rd party support? I guess that's assuming the PS5 will be a huge flop in JP and worldwide.

As for declining support, it just depends on a lot of factors. PS3 just this year started to get excluded from most multiplats, so I don't expect PS4 support to just vanish because a successor has been announced. Not sure on how all of the handheld devs will go. Plenty have already migrated to mobile, so I imagine that'll just continue to happen. Those that have remained will likely turn to Switch but we're talking about a small group (all that's left on 3DS now is Nintendo staple series and kids game/anime adaptations). I would wait around and see, because even when Nintendo held market dominant positions with their handhelds and consoles, they still didn't get the bulk of 3rd party JP support (even 3DS vs Vita).

Although, I'm not sure how much that'll matter as long as they get the big 3rd party games, which is what happened in 3DS vs. Vita.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

This is about as useful as the Switch or Xone vs PS4 in Europe chart. Of course the Switch outperforms the PS4 in Japan look at the numbers even the Wii U managed to stay ahead for years over there. Japan is since the start of gen 8 be particularly weak for homeconsoles the only reason why PS4 is on par with the PS3 to begin with is because there is no Wii this gen. Switch on the other hand is a portable and those do very well in Japan historically seen.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Jranation said:
Slarvax said:

This site didn't have that many people calling it doomed. A few loud users, but not too many.

Gaf though... http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1333545&page=1

LMAO! 

Jump to page 85, where the first sales numbers where revealed. The crow population certainly diminished there again

And is it just me, or does it remind anybody else of the old Wii (or revolution, as it was still called) April's Fools Hoax which turned out to be 100% true in every aspect and it's wave of disbelieving posters... until the sales numbers came in and everybody laughing at those posters? Too sad the comment section is now deleted there

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jranation said:

LMAO! 

Jump to page 85, where the first sales numbers where revealed. The crow population certainly diminished there again

And is it just me, or does it remind anybody else of the old Wii (or revolution, as it was still called) April's Fools Hoax which turned out to be 100% true in every aspect and it's wave of disbelieving posters... until the sales numbers came in and everybody laughing at those posters? Too sad the comment section is now deleted there

I don't think anything can match that Gamespot April Fools as not only was it unprofessional on their part but when it backfired they didn't only get humbled hard they had people from all over the internet flooding the site to troll them.

Edit:

Holy shit this was hilarious, that GAF thread is the definition of sticking your neck out.

NATO said:
StarDoor said:

Japanese numbers are solidly available on this site. Last week:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=231337
And the week before that:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=231198
And before that:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=231029
And before that:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=230935

They're posted every week on Wednesday.

And PS4 launched in February 2014, while Vita launched in December 2011. Vita is only "ahead" in the same way that Wii U was "ahead" of PS4 in 2016.

I don't trawl through threads for the sake of getting an arbitrary number closer to right when it wouldn't change the outcome anyway.

You might have that sort of free time, but I don't.

Damn, worst excuse ever on this site. And that is saying a whole awful LOT

Around the Network

NATO said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Nautilus said:

Then dont bother to try to argument your way through.I mean, I have nothing against a good argumentation, but when you are proven wrong, and your excuse is that "Well, im a busy man, I dont have time for this childish game", well thats just lame and petty.

Yes, because the amount of which the vita being ahead in sales would make any difference to the statement to begin with right? I did a cursory glance at the charts page of the site, saw one at 4.x one at 5.x, stated a million ahead, when tbone said that wasnt the case i went back and checked for the actual numbers, and openly stated that I was wrong, but that the vita was still ahead regardless.

The point isn't in the figures at all, it was in the "shittest handheld ahead of the best selling home console" which it is, which goes some way to support my point that by and large, both the price and the fact that it's essentially a handheld help greatly in Japan because Japan favors handhelds significantly more than home consoles.

But hey, by all means get hung up on a single non-critical issue if you've nothing better to add to the discussion.

PS4 is ahead launch-aligned though, so it is selling at a faster pace than the Vita. The only reason the Vita is still ahead is because it launched over 2 years before the PS4 in Japan.

NATO said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Nautilus said:

Then dont bother to try to argument your way through.I mean, I have nothing against a good argumentation, but when you are proven wrong, and your excuse is that "Well, im a busy man, I dont have time for this childish game", well thats just lame and petty.

Yes, because the amount of which the vita being ahead in sales would make any difference to the statement to begin with right? I did a cursory glance at the charts page of the site, saw one at 4.x one at 5.x, stated a million ahead, when tbone said that wasnt the case i went back and checked for the actual numbers, and openly stated that I was wrong, but that the vita was still ahead regardless.

The point isn't in the figures at all, it was in the "shittest handheld ahead of the best selling home console" which it is, which goes some way to support my point that by and large, both the price and the fact that it's essentially a handheld help greatly in Japan because Japan favors handhelds significantly more than home consoles.

But hey, by all means get hung up on a single non-critical issue if you've nothing better to add to the discussion.

The problem wasnt that the number between them was so small that was meningless, is that you straight up didnt acceppt that you were wrong, and when you admited as being so, you spinned it as something either meaningless or that you spoke in a "since you are a serious man, you dont have time to go looking for accurate number, like you jobless kids" kind of vibe.I cant ser how you dont understand how people dont quite like you.I dont, and Im almost certain Im not the only one.

To summarize what I mean to say, you have two main issues here:First, you dont know how to lose an argument.We are in a forum where we like discussing stuff, and eventually we are bound to get something wrong.I know I did.But the problem is that you dont own up to it, or if you eventually do, you try to spin it as a "meningless mistake", in a way that is ridiculous.It seems like you are trying to score points for winning the argument, where there is none.

And second, and Ill just say it directly, your posts sometimejust sucks.Either is this persona you put up online, or just how you are, but you have some serious superiority complex.Just look no further than that " I have no time to look for the numbers" comment.You write in a way that will obviously not sit well with people.I know it doesnt with me.Ans I know its not the first time you do something like this.Much of what you post is in that style.

Now, Im pretty sure your reaction to this will be something on the lines of "I dont care what you or others think of me", and you have all the right to think like this.I just hope that you dont complain when other users dont treat you as nicely as with others.And sorry for being so blunt, Im just trying to be helpful!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1