By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Secret of Mana 3D remake announced for PS4, PS Vita, and PC

Kresnik said:

morenoingrato said:

it is the current uncertainty on Switch third party support is what drives these comments. Not any petty wishes. 

That's not really true though, given how many digs at Vita have been in this thread so far, along the lines of "it's coming to dead handheld but not Switch?!?!"

I don't even understand the uncertainty anyway. Square-Enix have announced more games in the first 6 months of Switch's life than they released in the first like, 4 years of Vita's. Vita, which is causing everyone to be up in arms in this thread because this game is coming to it.

Switch will be fine, especially in terms of Square-Enix support. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just looking at things like this in a vacuum and ignoring the reality of the wider situation.

I'm kind of leaning toward moreno on this one. Particularly since we sit on a sales website, and questioning the sales potential of a game on Vita versus Switch is totally fair game. Port-begging is annoying, and Vita trolling inexcusable, but I do think there's room here for a discussion about Switch inclusion/exclusion.

@OT: Shamefully, I never played the original. I downloaded it on Wii, but never got around to it. I'll for sure play it on SNES Classic, and then give this remake a shot on Vita :)

Around the Network

Still have my SNES & SoM cartridge, but am excited to try a revamped version. The original was awesome, but the magic system sort of broke the game hard for boss fights.

morenoingrato said:
Kresnik said:

That's not really true though, given how many digs at Vita have been in this thread so far, along the lines of "it's coming to dead handheld but not Switch?!?!"

I don't even understand the uncertainty anyway. Square-Enix have announced more games in the first 6 months of Switch's life than they released in the first like, 4 years of Vita's. Vita, which is causing everyone to be up in arms in this thread because this game is coming to it.

Switch will be fine, especially in terms of Square-Enix support. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just looking at things like this in a vacuum and ignoring the reality of the wider situation.

I didn't really condone the Vita trolling on the thread, heck, I'd be satisfied if it were in every platform.

I do disagree about the uncertainty. Not just for SE, but in general. Games keep getting announced, more often than not without Switch support, and considering how little third party support Nintendo got the past 2 gens (granted, with pretty good reasons) I can see Nintendo fans worried about games.

By this point you can count high profile Switch releases or upcoming ones on your fingers. This game is not graphically intensive, so that decision is even more astonishing.

So if history shows that Nintendo platforms do not get much third party support, why is there so much shock and horror when the Switch doesn't get the same level of support as other platforms. Should it not be an expectation? I don't understand where the confidence that every game must be on Switch comes from.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
morenoingrato said:

I didn't really condone the Vita trolling on the thread, heck, I'd be satisfied if it were in every platform.

I do disagree about the uncertainty. Not just for SE, but in general. Games keep getting announced, more often than not without Switch support, and considering how little third party support Nintendo got the past 2 gens (granted, with pretty good reasons) I can see Nintendo fans worried about games.

By this point you can count high profile Switch releases or upcoming ones on your fingers. This game is not graphically intensive, so that decision is even more astonishing.

So if history shows that Nintendo platforms do not get much third party support, why is there so much shock and horror when the Switch doesn't get the same level of support as other platforms. Should it not be an expectation? I don't understand where the confidence that every game must be on Switch comes from.

Regardless of history, a new system, a new start, the least Switch owners can do is hope, right? Even if it was not the case in the past, you can't blame owners for wishing third party support. 

Add in the fact that the cards seem slightly better aligned than the previous generations. Unlike the WiiU, the Switch seems to be financially viable (for now at the very least), and it is much more scalable than the Wii, so expecting third party support is not outrageous.

A Vita yet no Switch version... What?

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:

I don't have any problem acknowledging the WiiU as a dead system.  They're both in the same ballpark in weekly (and lifetime) sales, no?

The difference being, of course, that one was literally discontinued from production like... 8 months ago? While the other is still produced and sold, even if it is in one market in the world (which, presumably, is where Square-Enix expects this game to do the majority of its sales on the platform).

morenoingrato said:

The fact it's already, within the space of 6 months, inherited Vita's mantle as the platform of chioce for Japanese third parites alongside PS4 for multi-platform development says everything about where the system is (especially bearing in mind that Vita itself didn't take up that job until at least about 24 months into its lifespan).

Yeah, if this was a western third party I'd be getting worried (but traditionally they've never supported handhelds anyway), but this is just one game after Square Enix have announced like a dozen different things for Switch. Heck, in August alone they announce DQB2 and that Fear Effect remaster. 

I can, sort of, understand why people would've expressed concern a few months ago but nothing about the route Switch seems to be taking shows me any reason to worry.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'm kind of leaning toward moreno on this one. Particularly since we sit on a sales website, and questioning the sales potential of a game on Vita versus Switch is totally fair game. Port-begging is annoying, and Vita trolling inexcusable, but I do think there's room here for a discussion about Switch inclusion/exclusion.

I mean, I'm kinda tired of the Switch port begging in every thread for a new game that doesn't have a Switch version announced, but with that aside, I'm more focused on the berating that it's coming to a platform that's already decided rather than the begging for it to come elsewhere aspect. "I don't want it to come to your favouite platform but I do want it to come to my favourite platform". Heck, since you made this post we've already had another one to add to the pile in this vein.

I can understand the sales aspect, but that's ignoring the biggest factor in this decision-making process anyway - Square-Enix already have data on Vita, because they released this game's predecessor on the platform 12 months ago. This game looks, largely, to be an asset flip that uses many of the pieces they put in place for AoM but put in a SoM shell, so I see no reason for it not to come to the platform based on those two factors?

And that's fine. Except, it's not fine for the majority of people it seems. If people need to ask for Switch, they need to ask for Switch (lord knows I'm guilty of this asking for Vita versions of games incessently in the past), but I don't ever remember shitting on the other platforms a game was coming to because it wasn't appearing where I wanted it.

But regardless, I feel like this is a bit of a moot point anyway because we've had 6 years of this kind of calling out of "This game looks great but I'll never play it on Vita it should come to xyz", it just seems to have shifted from being about exclusive titles to now being about multi-plats that are leaving out a specific SKU. Cycle will continue far into the future I'm sure, but that's kinda why we don't really have as many Vita fans round these parts as we used to :P

(Except me, but I rarely weather the storm outside of certain threads any more).

Mar1217 said:
Well, it's just a cheap 3D-remake for something that could easily run on IOS/Android.

Would have been a remake of Terranigma on the other hand ...

So, we get the remake releasing on PS4,PC and Vita ?! Wut ? While they could strike the hot iron that is the Switch, SE still makes the strangest I've ever seen. Especially since the Secret of Mana collection that just got out in Japan.

Enix only published Terranigma. It was developed by Quintet. Nintendo also published the game in PAL territories.

Kresnik said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I mean, I'm kinda tired of the Switch port begging in every thread for a new game that doesn't have a Switch version announced, but with that aside, I'm more focused on the berating that it's coming to a platform that's already decided rather than the begging for it to come elsewhere aspect. "I don't want it to come to your favouite platform but I do want it to come to my favourite platform". Heck, since you made this post we've already had another one to add to the pile in this vein.

I can understand the sales aspect, but that's ignoring the biggest factor in this decision-making process anyway - Square-Enix already have data on Vita, because they released this game's predecessor on the platform 12 months ago. This game looks, largely, to be an asset flip that uses many of the pieces they put in place for AoM but put in a SoM shell, so I see no reason for it not to come to the platform based on those two factors?

And that's fine. Except, it's not fine for the majority of people it seems. If people need to ask for Switch, they need to ask for Switch (lord knows I'm guilty of this asking for Vita versions of games incessently in the past), but I don't ever remember shitting on the other platforms a game was coming to because it wasn't appearing where I wanted it.

But regardless, I feel like this is a bit of a moot point anyway because we've had 6 years of this kind of calling out of "This game looks great but I'll never play it on Vita it should come to xyz", it just seems to have shifted from being about exclusive titles to now being about multi-plats that are leaving out a specific SKU. Cycle will continue far into the future I'm sure, but that's kinda why we don't really have as many Vita fans round these parts as we used to :P

(Except me, but I rarely weather the storm outside of certain threads any more).

No, that's totally fair. If people want the game that badly, they need to suck it up and buy a PS4 or Vita, or just play on PC. Same goes for Monster Hunter World, or whatever game it happens to be.

Nintendo fans, bombarded over the years by demands for their company of choice to exit the hardware business and make games for other platforms, should know how irritating and insulting port-begging can be.

I bet this will come to Switch, iOS and Google Play as well.

The similar looking NDS 3D remakes of FF 3 & 4 are both available on iOS, GP and PC.

morenoingrato said:
outlawauron said:

Regardless of history, a new system, a new start, the least Switch owners can do is hope, right? Even if it was not the case in the past, you can't blame owners for wishing third party support. 

Add in the fact that the cards seem slightly better aligned than the previous generations. Unlike the WiiU, the Switch seems to be financially viable (for now at the very least), and it is much more scalable than the Wii, so expecting third party support is not outrageous.

Of course it's not outrageous, but Square has already announced several games for the device. Missing this shouldn't erase all of the other games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.