By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone still seriously saying the Switch is going to fail?

Ask me again when it's close to 50m. Before reaching that number it will certainly be a complete failure in my eyes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

You will always hear people say something is a failure if its not number 1 on the charts. Probably same people who still say the X1 is a failure after selling 30m units etc. Its the internet.

Rain2 said:
Why are people saying Switch needs to outsell 3DS + Wii U? It's an individual product that has nothing to do with either of them other than being released by Nintendo. I get putting things into perspective but regardless of that, it makes little sense to me.

If that's the case, Playstation has been quite the dud this gen. It also suggests that the PS3 era was the most successful Playstation has ever been. I don't say this to rip on the PS4 as we all know it has been a massive success whilst the PS3 bled money. I'm merely pointing out how comparisons don't always work.

If it doesn't then it's pretty much signals a decline of Nintendo's customer base ... 

The Switch reaching near 3DS numbers (like say 85+%) would be a relatively good result in itself but that still translates to a negative outlook on Nintendo's future since their reaching within the limits of being a sustainable business ... 

Can Nintendo keep dealing with a declining customer base especially when in a time where AAA games are getting more and more expensive to make ?

vivster said:
Ask me again when it's close to 50m. Before reaching that number it will certainly be a complete failure in my eyes.

So... if the Switch sold 40 million in it's 1st year, you'd still see it as a complete failure? 10 million off 50 million is still a pretty big gap to be considered close, although you never know, even then maybe the lawsuit will take place and ban Switch sales.

I mean I get your point, and yes my example was overexaggerated to point out it's flaw, but I think if it's selling at fast pace comparable to 3DS or even PS4 at times, it's safe to also look at that too, instead of waiting potentially 3-4 years.

Jpcc86 said:
Well, depends on what you consider failure. Personally I dont think its gonna reach 40m units sold lifetime. Some people in this forum would consider that a failure. Not me tho.

That would be dissapointing but not a "fail" IMO since Nintendo has streamlined their production. Their profits could surpass that of Wii U+ 3DS without meeti g their actual units, the later required 30% price cut in its first summer... 

On the other hand Switch is on track to sell 10m in its first year 9months, without a price cut, no redesign, no pocket version, no Pokemon, yokai, original Monster Hunter or much software in general.... Why would you expect it to fall short of 40m? Theres so much more to come.

Around the Network

I don't know, the console could be heavily frontloaded or something, and obviously it won't sit at sub-15 million units like Wii U, but I'm "feeling" that it will have a hard time reaching even 50 million units, I just don't see it selling 10M or more per year, particularly in 2018. And what's exactly the plan for that year, anyway? Assuming Pokémon doesn't come out. Can Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 and Odyssey keep driving sales? Hmm...Smash is on the way supposedly, but there's not much for the rest of the year.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Green098 said:
vivster said:

So... if the Switch sold 40 million in it's 1st year, you'd still see it as a complete failure? 10 million off 50 million is still a pretty big gap to be considered close, although you never know, even then maybe the lawsuit will take place and ban Switch sales.

I mean I get your point, and yes my example was overexaggerated to point out it's flaw, but I think if it's selling at fast pace comparable to 3DS or even PS4 at times, it's safe to also look at that too, instead of waiting potentially 3-4 years.

My statement was more about that I do not consider it anything until it reaches that number. I never trust early numbers. I always knew Switch will sell very well in its first 12 months. But the market is not the same as it was 5 years ago, at least I hope so.

Nintendo consoles have a history of fizzling out fast. While the 3DS is still selling well it hasn't even reached 70m and even that it only reached thanks to multiple iterations in its life and lots and lots of double dipping. From Logic alone, if Nintendo's market hasn't shrunk, 50m should be the absolut minimum and 70m should be their lowest goal.

It has a good chance of reaching 50m LT if it has multiple iterations but 70m is a tall order.

It should also be noted that my thoughts on this are fueled by a lot of hope and optimism on my side so they are highly biased.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Honestly, with how the thing is selling, I can't even see Nintendo Nintendo-ing it up.

It's a hit, no doubt about it. When the holidays show up there's Mario and bundles. Between that time and Pokemon I don't know what Nintendo has planned but I expect Smash for Swich by summer 2018. If they can keep sales going till then, it's going to be very hard to argue it failing.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Haters?

I hope the system will succeed, so we never say goodbye to handhelds.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Here's a question I have :

If the Switch doesn't do 68 - 75 mil, is it in some way a failure? Since it's supposed to bring both market shares together? Keep in mind the amount of home console gamers buying a Switch will probably be much higher than Wii U, so if it didn't pass 3ds I think that would be very unfortunate, although I wouldn't say it's a failure, but what do you guys think?

Switch doesn't need to sell more than that to be considered that is success. Despite fact that Switch is hybrid, its still one product, and has home console price point and also have price point of home console not of handheld. Also Switch from start is selling with profit, Wii U was selling at loss at launch, and 3DS had very early huge price drop (at that point it was selling at solid loss) in order to start selling, also there is point that with Switch Nintendo will have expenses (hardware and software R&D, game development expenses, marketing expenses...) of just one platform compared to expenses for two different platforms, in other words, Switch can easily be more profitable for Nintendo than 3DS and Wii U were combined even if it sell less than 3DS.

At this point Switch will be 60m+ seller, how much exactly (60m+, 70m+, 80m+, 90m+, 100m+) we still don't know, but will be succes in any case.