By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Warner Brothers' greedy Microtransactions in Shadow of War.

librarian13579 said:
Xen said:

How about the HDD fucking up? And can you even install files from external sources?

Since gen7 preserving games in their intended state has certainly become a lot more difficult, believe me.

Amen to that. That's why the preservation society that I'm part of (http://redump.org/ ) doesn't even bother with preserving games from the modern consoles. The reality is just far too messy, given that so many games-as-a-service titles are so heavily reliant on servers nowadays.

Seriously? Are you saying that it will be difficult to play games like The Division and Destiny on their original platforms in 10 years from now? Even single player games like Mordor Shadow of War?

Around the Network
librarian13579 said:

This is the future of AAA gaming, folks.

Games-as-a-service bullshit is profoundly insidious. One day it will entrench its roots so firmly that soon, even single-player games will require a constant connection to an online server.

We're letting them get away with it, and more and more studios are turning to this. Activision, EA, Valve, Rockstar, Ubisoft, Warner Bros....they're all moving in the same direction.

I've said many times before and I'll say it again: Western developers and publishers have been destroying the industry with their practices. The Seventh Generation gave them the tools to make disgusting practices such as this one; industry standards. Prior to the rise of Xbox as a leader in the industry, games were usually complete when they shipped, EVEN IN THE EARLY PS360 DAYS. These Western people are responsible for mainstays of "AAA" gaming such as day 1 4GB "updates", games filled with bugs, incredibly lazy annual releases, patches and more patches, micro transactions, "complete game of the month" editions, etc. Sony pandering to these Western devs just gave them more incentive to continue with it.

Japanese publishers/devs are also guilty of this, but to a lesser extent than their Bethesda/EA/Activision counterparts. 

Unfortunately the "hardcore" gamers and the casual/trend following customers, love buying these overhyped games regardless of their quality. That only encourages these Western developers and publishers to continue on moving forward into the path of anti consumer practices.

Slimebeast said:
librarian13579 said:

Amen to that. That's why the preservation society that I'm part of (http://redump.org/ ) doesn't even bother with preserving games from the modern consoles. The reality is just far too messy, given that so many games-as-a-service titles are so heavily reliant on servers nowadays.

Seriously? Are you saying that it will be difficult to play games like The Division and Destiny on their original platforms in 10 years from now? Even single player games like Mordor Shadow of War?

I been playing Just Cause 3 on PS4 because it was the PS+ game of the month. I thought it's a very fun game. Kinda hooked TBH. I'm glad I never bought it. The game forces you to log in some service despite I have told the game over and over and over again to go in offline mode. I have seen the game take 3 minutes for it to log in just to check the map. When I put the PS4 in rest mode and start back up the game wants to log in but can't so I have to start the game over again. Fuck my progress. I typically don't play AAA games so this was new to me. It does seem more and more games are like this and worse. JC3 does it for leaderboard no one cares about for a single player game. AAA games keep making worse and worse decisions and they keep doing it because the masses reward it by voting with their wallets. These western AAA bad practices all began with 2 words. Horse Armor.

Kuksenkov said:
librarian13579 said:

This is the future of AAA gaming, folks.

Games-as-a-service bullshit is profoundly insidious. One day it will entrench its roots so firmly that soon, even single-player games will require a constant connection to an online server.

We're letting them get away with it, and more and more studios are turning to this. Activision, EA, Valve, Rockstar, Ubisoft, Warner Bros....they're all moving in the same direction.

I've said many times before and I'll say it again: Western developers and publishers have been destroying the industry with their practices. The Seventh Generation gave them the tools to make disgusting practices such as this one; industry standards. Prior to the rise of Xbox as a leader in the industry, games were usually complete when they shipped, EVEN IN THE EARLY PS360 DAYS. These Western people are responsible for mainstays of "AAA" gaming such as day 1 4GB "updates", games filled with bugs, incredibly lazy annual releases, patches and more patches, micro transactions, "complete game of the month" editions, etc. Sony pandering to these Western devs just gave them more incentive to continue with it.

Japanese publishers/devs are also guilty of this, but to a lesser extent than their Bethesda/EA/Activision counterparts. 

Unfortunately the "hardcore" gamers and the casual/trend following customers, love buying these overhyped games regardless of their quality. That only encourages these Western developers and publishers to continue on moving forward into the path of anti consumer practices.

Sure, that have basically nothing to do with more complexity in the games, more lenghty... and games in the past had bugs as well, and freezing consoles as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Kuksenkov said:

Sure, that have basically nothing to do with more complexity in the games, more lenghty... and games in the past had bugs as well, and freezing consoles as well.

Yeah, some things like updates just can't be avoided these days. Games only released as a final version in the past because they HAD TO. Not everybody had access to high speed internet back in the 360/PS3 days, so you'd better make damned sure your game was mostly bug free or else suffer the wrath of metacritic user reviews. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, some things like updates just can't be avoided these days. Games only released as a final version in the past because they HAD TO. Not everybody had access to high speed internet back in the 360/PS3 days, so you'd better make damned sure your game was mostly bug free or else suffer the wrath of metacritic user reviews. 

I surely preffered that games launched bug free and no patch needed. But on today age that would mean more delays and also that no matter how many testers you use they won't get nearly close to less than 1% of the playtime of all users and them some bugs can only be discovered after launch. And day one patches only show the commitment of the company to keep testing after going gold to see if there is anything they can still find before people start playing. Sure is crazy that some of those are over 5gB.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SegataSanshiro said:
Slimebeast said:

I been playing Just Cause 3 on PS4 because it was the PS+ game of the month. I thought it's a very fun game. Kinda hooked TBH. I'm glad I never bought it. The game forces you to log in some service despite I have told the game over and over and over again to go in offline mode. I have seen the game take 3 minutes for it to log in just to check the map. When I put the PS4 in rest mode and start back up the game wants to log in but can't so I have to start the game over again. Fuck my progress. I typically don't play AAA games so this was new to me. It does seem more and more games are like this and worse. JC3 does it for leaderboard no one cares about for a single player game. AAA games keep making worse and worse decisions and they keep doing it because the masses reward it by voting with their wallets. These western AAA bad practices all began with 2 words. Horse Armor.

But, but... horse armor was for Oblivion, man.