By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Warner Brothers' greedy Microtransactions in Shadow of War.

librarian13579 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

*Hugs massive collection of physical games tightly.*

I'm pretty much a 100% retro gamer nowadays. It's a casualty of spending decades in the industry where owning a video game was like owning a book.

I can still go way back to 1997 and play Goldeneye 007 with my friends, just like how I can read my old books from when I was a kid.

Will we be able to properly play the majority of AAA games 20 years from now when the servers shut off? Not a chance in hell. So I don't even bother.

What makes you think we won't, majority of games aren't GAAS, most AAA games have had some kind of DLC for more than a decade now, most of them being useless shit that don't affect the base game, except for story DLC, which always get included in GOTY editions later on. Shadow of War is a new case, I predict their business model isn't gonna work and it'll be panned by critics, I barely see any hype for this game. Just like online passes and tacked on multiplayer modes of last gen the market will correct itself.  Rockstar? When did they make GTA5 online only? You'll perfectly be able to play today's games 20 years from now. GAAS isn't your problem, there are plenty of good models out there, it's that singleplayer games disappear because mainstream tastes are changing.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
librarian13579 said:

Fundamentally, in order to keep our medium alive for future generations, discs need to be dumped, hashed, and stored in secure databaes for future dissemination.

That's INCREDIBLY tough to do when more and more developers are turning towards primarily-online-multiplayer games in persistent worlds, like Bungie, BioWare, Blizzard, Valve, Rockstar, etc.

Inevitably, some of those games will not be able to be properly preserved, even if we try our best to round up all of the day-one patches and microtransactions and DLC. As more and more games become like that, more and more titles will inevitably start to be lost.

It's already been happening with some old MMORPGs like the original version of Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes, and with some early-PS3 games like MAG. And it's expanding outside of MMORPGs to encompass an increasingly greater share of gaming. What happens when 50% of games are GAAS, persistent world games that require server-side game engine logic to properly function? That's right----it all vanishes into the ether the moment Activision Blizzard / EA / Take-Two decide it's not profitable anymore.

Our art is taken hostage by the clutches of massive corporations who are only held accountable to their shareholders.

And what happens when they finally take the step and pull a Simcity 2013 on us or a Diablo III on us....and require that the SINGLE-PLAYER game always be connected to the Internet? That's when game preservation becomes simply untenable.

I don't bother with systems after the 6th gen. I know that 99.9% of everything (minus a few titles like Final Fantasy XI) can be preserved right up to that point. Anything beyond that is uncharted territory.

A lot of those developers don't really make anything all that good anymore though. Blizzard just has Overwatch. Valve doesn't make new games anymore. Andromeda, and Destiny were mediocre games. 

Microsoft took that route with the XB1, and look where it got them. I think that will eventually be the future of games, but it isn't here yet. Instead of having an always online connection they will likely sell games as a service. You must pay $15.00 a month in order to play our game, and it's all on the servers, etc. That's when I'll cut my ties to modern games though. If a game doesn't let you outright own it, then it isn't worth playing IMO. The only exception to that are indies because they are so cheap it doesn't matter. 

Most of the PS4 games I own would run 95% the same without patches. Eventually that will change though. I expect once PS5 rolls around 50% of games will be the likes of Destiny, Shadow of War, etc. 

If you've noticed, subscription models are popping up literally everywhere. Dropbox, Photoshop, Sling TV, Windows, Microsoft Office, MMORPGs, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, Spotify, countless delivery services, etc.

I agree; subscriptions where data is streamed from the cloud is inevitably the future because of the convenience fallacy. "I just have to pay $30 a month and I can play all the PlayStation games I want! That's much better than paying $60 for one game!" Sooner or later, when the tech is fully there, they're going to propose that model and people are going to take it because they think they're saving money. And, they already do it with everything else, so why not video games as well?

Microsoft is orienting Xbox to follow that model in the future. Sony continues to become increasingly dependent on PSN Plus revenues.

The future is here, and it's a scary one for us old-timers.

April 30th, 2011 - July 12th, 2018

It sucks what microtransactions have done to gaming, but we need a real solution communicated to developers or it will never stop. They want their money and this lets them keep the base game cheap while they can milk gamers in more underhanded ways. Honestly, it's just so common at this point I don't see it going away. It's not like this is the first time a single player game has done this.

Turkish said:

What makes you think we won't, majority of games aren't GAAS, most AAA games have had some kind of DLC for more than a decade now, most of them being useless shit that don't affect the base game, except for story DLC, which always get included in GOTY editions later on. Shadow of War is a new case, I predict their business model isn't gonna work and it'll be panned by critics, I barely see any hype for this game. Just like online passes and tacked on multiplayer modes of last gen the market will correct itself.  Rockstar? When did they make GTA5 online only? You'll perfectly be able to play today's games 20 years from now. GAAS isn't your problem, there are plenty of good models out there, it's that singleplayer games disappear because mainstream tastes are changing.

Pretty sure when good single player games release they do just fine - see Bioshock, Life is Strange, Dishonored, Mass Effect and the Metro series for evidence.  I could argue games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Tomb Raider and the Dark Souls series as well as typically, people aren't buying those games for the multiplayer, it's just an added feature.

No, multiplayer games are just more profitable than single player games. It's easier to sell pre orders, DLC, special editions and microtransactions because of have-have not economies - everybody wants the leg up on someone else.  Grand Theft Auto sold gangbusters before multiplayer gaming was a thing, so it's not like that's the only reason people buy it.

Edit: In addition, publishers themselves have basically told consumers that buying $60 single player games at launch is a bad move because within a year, they'll all have $40 complete editions with all the crap they were trying to hawk before/after launch.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Yeah WB is always doing this kind of BS and i hope it bites them in the rear end. I learned my lesson with MKX. All they'e got from me since is 20€ for the GOTY edition of Batman AK. I was mildly interested in shadow of war, but this definitly soured it.

Around the Network

Definitely not a day one buy, no matter how much I loved the first. But if it turns out you can ignore the microtransactions (and multiplayer), then it will eventually find its way on my system.

I am no fan of micro transactions so i ignore them. Reading prople boycotting games that could be still a fun experience baffles me over an option you dont need to use.. i guess i grew up in a world where true gamers use to exist. Now all i read is nonsense like this. Honestly just play the damn game. You might fall in love with it. Dont waste your experience over silly things like this.

Azzanation said:
I am no fan of micro transactions so i ignore them. Reading prople boycotting games that could be still a fun experience baffles me over an option you dont need to use.. i guess i grew up in a world where true gamers use to exist. Now all i read is nonsense like this. Honestly just play the damn game. You might fall in love with it. Dont waste your experience over silly things like this.

Except microtransaction are going to have an effect on the main game whether you use them or not. We all know how the "free to play" phone game market works. They design a game intentionally to make it damn near impossible to play without spending money. So if you don't spend money in addition to buying the game it'll be a grindfest, and less fun of an experience. 

DLC looks great. Might pick this up day 1.

caffeinade said:
Thankfully the game does not look good anyway.
The animation work in this game is dreadful.

Thats not true in the slightest.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3