By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Warner Brothers' greedy Microtransactions in Shadow of War.

Sounds trash. Nice to know this so I can wait until it's in the bargain bin.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
librarian13579 said:
Xen said:

And all the "our license has expired, so fuck it " DLC and content, ugh.

Love redump though, I always verify my dumps with the ones on it (would love to contribute as well - I have Bulk Slash (Satakore ed.) for Saturn coming in - I noticed that that is not on redump ). I was really afraid of something so precious going away during the server trouble months.

Hey, I'm really glad you use our service. You may have verified some of the games that I've personally dumped myself, haha.

I think it's incredibly sad that future libraries 100 years from now will have the entire library of PS1 and PS2 games available for perusal once it all hits the public domain...but so many PS4/XBO/PC games will be either broken or lost to the sands of time. It's always depressed the hell out of me that so much of the early history of our art form will be lost....similar to 90% of the black-and-white movies from the 1890s-1920s that are now gone forever out of sheer neglect.

You guys are acting like physical disks won't last 100 years from now. Is there something I don't know about this? We have paintings that are 500 years old sitting in museums. Why won't there be 500 year old copies of game disks in the future? 

Cerebralbore101 said:
librarian13579 said:

Hey, I'm really glad you use our service. You may have verified some of the games that I've personally dumped myself, haha.

I think it's incredibly sad that future libraries 100 years from now will have the entire library of PS1 and PS2 games available for perusal once it all hits the public domain...but so many PS4/XBO/PC games will be either broken or lost to the sands of time. It's always depressed the hell out of me that so much of the early history of our art form will be lost....similar to 90% of the black-and-white movies from the 1890s-1920s that are now gone forever out of sheer neglect.

You guys are acting like physical disks won't last 100 years from now. Is there something I don't know about this? We have painting that are 500 years old sitting in museums. Why won't there be 500 year old copies of game disks in the future? 

Most won't.

Discs are very fragile, especially if you compare them to carts - discs decay, scratch, break easily, and believe you me, lots of crap will get lost over this 100-yr period. There is also the fact that even if discs survive, will the lasers that read them survive as well?

Preservation by other means is exteremely important if you, like myself, value your past in gaming.

I'm still going to buy it. When the "game of the year" edition goes on sale.

We can't defeat those AAA publishers for this model, i'm expecting those casual gamers ruined won't ever stop using microtransactions and they're largest base.

.....I don't know what to say, i'm just expecting. :shrugs:

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
librarian13579 said:

You guys are acting like physical disks won't last 100 years from now. Is there something I don't know about this? We have paintings that are 500 years old sitting in museums. Why won't there be 500 year old copies of game disks in the future? 

Fundamentally, in order to keep our medium alive for future generations, discs need to be dumped, hashed, and stored in secure databases for future dissemination.

That's INCREDIBLY tough to do when more and more developers are turning towards primarily-online-multiplayer games in persistent worlds, like Bungie, BioWare, Blizzard, Valve, Rockstar, etc.

Inevitably, some of those games will not be able to be properly preserved, even if we try our best to round up all of the day-one patches and microtransactions and DLC. As more and more games become like that, more and more titles will inevitably start to be lost.

It's already been happening with some old MMORPGs like the original version of Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes, and with some early-PS3 games like MAG. And it's expanding outside of MMORPGs to encompass an increasingly greater share of gaming. What happens when 50% of games are GAAS, persistent world games that require server-side game engine logic to properly function? That's right----it all vanishes into the ether the moment Activision Blizzard / EA / Take-Two decide it's not profitable anymore.

Our art is taken hostage by the clutches of massive corporations who are only held accountable to their shareholders.

And what happens when they finally take the step and pull a Simcity 2013 on us or a Diablo III on us....and require that the SINGLE-PLAYER game always be connected to the Internet? That's when game preservation becomes simply untenable.

I don't bother with systems after the 6th gen. I know that 99.9% of everything (minus a few titles like Final Fantasy XI) can be preserved right up to that point. Anything beyond that is uncharted territory.

April 30th, 2011 - July 12th, 2018

It's way too early to say they're greedy. We need to at least see what the market is like and how the game plays if you spend real money versus obtaining in game. People threw fits about news of Halo 5 getting card packs and yet it turned out to be great fun.

Imho quick unlock and premium content loot boxes are way worse in MP than SP, I don't really understand a lot of the complaints about "how dare they, in a SP game omg!"

Anyways, first one was awesome. Can't wait to play this one. Won't bother with any loot box BS :)

Cerebralbore101 said:

Jim Sterling did an episode on this today. Personally two things I hate in games are useless padding, and games not coming out as completed products. Warner Brothers is combining the two in an effort to  milk as much money from Shadow of War customers as possible. 

There are a lot of games that could be half the length and twice as fun, but certain developers tend to think they absolutely must have an 80 hour game. So what do they do? They give the player lots of useless chores to do, or add a thousand cutscenes, or make the player spend most of their time traveling. A few good examples of this: Windwaker for GameCube took forever sailing around the world. Dragon Quest VII has grinding and insanely long cutscenes that serve no purpose. Fighting the Condemned three times in Skyward Sword. 

There are a lot of games these days that don't come out as completed products. I don't mind DLC if it's either free, or adds to an already complete game, ala the Witcher III. But when you've got  paid DLC coming out just a month or two after your game comes out, it's obvious that developers cut content from the completed game, so they could make money on selling you the missing parts later. Injustice 2 did this pretty well, and so did Mass Effect 2. 

Anyway Warner Brothers has taken it a step further. They're including DLC for an incomplete game, useless padding, and microtransaction to help skip over the useless padding. So you can either play Shadow of War as a grindfest, with things intentionally designed to take way too long, or you can pay for random lootboxes that speed up the game, at the expense of emtpying your wallet further. 

I hope everyone boycotts this game, and I've already taken it off my buy list for the winter. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXWdyrqFP8 Edit: Mods could you make this playable in the thread? I'm not sure how to do it myself. 

The sailing in Wind Waker was to hide the loading times between islands, to keep that open world feel. Like the elevator rides or doors sometimes taking longer to open in Metroid Prime.

I doubt the Condemed in Skyward Sword was for padding. It was just a bad boss idea they tried. The game was plenty long with or without it.

DQ7, never played, but did play 8 adn many FF games. Grinding is usaully 100% optional. You can beat the game as like lvl 40'ish or just going through the game. And I woudl never say cutscenes are for padding. They are what like a 5 minute cutscene that is way faster than doing said thing ingame.

You picked horrible "padding" examples. This Shadow of War is a good enough example itself. They will make things 'in-game' yet those ingame things will take 3x longer than they used to take to intice one to purchase the quick way. Or the drop rates or an RNG system will be insanely bad to those 'ingame' people and real money can buy the better rng rates.

LOL I need to put a gif of that motherf*king little goblin rubbing his hands in my sig. Just about some ups a lot of the AAA part of the games industry today.

librarian13579 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Fundamentally, in order to keep our medium alive for future generations, discs need to be dumped, hashed, and stored in secure databaes for future dissemination.

That's INCREDIBLY tough to do when more and more developers are turning towards primarily-online-multiplayer games in persistent worlds, like Bungie, BioWare, Blizzard, Valve, Rockstar, etc.

Inevitably, some of those games will not be able to be properly preserved, even if we try our best to round up all of the day-one patches and microtransactions and DLC. As more and more games become like that, more and more titles will inevitably start to be lost.

It's already been happening with some old MMORPGs like the original version of Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes, and with some early-PS3 games like MAG. And it's expanding outside of MMORPGs to encompass an increasingly greater share of gaming. What happens when 50% of games are GAAS, persistent world games that require server-side game engine logic to properly function? That's right----it all vanishes into the ether the moment Activision Blizzard / EA / Take-Two decide it's not profitable anymore.

Our art is taken hostage by the clutches of massive corporations who are only held accountable to their shareholders.

And what happens when they finally take the step and pull a Simcity 2013 on us or a Diablo III on us....and require that the SINGLE-PLAYER game always be connected to the Internet? That's when game preservation becomes simply untenable.

I don't bother with systems after the 6th gen. I know that 99.9% of everything (minus a few titles like Final Fantasy XI) can be preserved right up to that point. Anything beyond that is uncharted territory.

A lot of those developers don't really make anything all that good anymore though. Blizzard just has Overwatch. Valve doesn't make new games anymore. Andromeda, and Destiny were mediocre games. 

Microsoft took that route with the XB1, and look where it got them. I think that will eventually be the future of games, but it isn't here yet. Instead of having an always online connection they will likely sell games as a service. You must pay $15.00 a month in order to play our game, and it's all on the servers, etc. That's when I'll cut my ties to modern games though. If a game doesn't let you outright own it, then it isn't worth playing IMO. The only exception to that are indies because they are so cheap it doesn't matter. 

Most of the PS4 games I own would run 95% the same without patches. Eventually that will change though. I expect once PS5 rolls around 50% of games will be the likes of Destiny, Shadow of War, etc.