By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS wants to work with Sony to bring the "Better Together" Minecraft update to PS4

Green098 said:

Sorry but they were all kinda like that

They also answer stuff on safety in that FAQ in the OP.

That's because none of these "journalists" know how to do their dang jobs! They ran with the hottest most inflammatory "reason" that some other journalists conjured up based on Sony's safty first retort.

In actuality when you accept PSN's terms of service you are working within and under Sony's domain and there are some agreements associated with linking accounts taht you need to agree with in order to do so. But no where in PSN's ToS does it say you'll be able to log in to other services bypassing PSN to play games made by other companies. Sony is not selling their systems so that it's players are under another companies control. This sounds bad but is it? Does my cell phone carrier allow me to use the competitions services? The answer is no even if the alternative would benefit it's end users. So there is no way to make this look good for Sony but if you read between the lines MS is the real "bad guy" here trying to monopolize how and who controls everyone's online gaming experience. Having had dealt with Xbox Live and PSN I can tell you that PSN is better than XBL for all sorts of reasons including how PSN has handled chat and privacy these days and I still have a standard Xbox Live account that I use to... Wait for it... Play Minecraft on my phone.

I will be missing out on the super dooper graphics, but I don't care that much. It will be interesting to see how MS and or Sony react to this issue but I hope Sony holds it's ground forcing MS to compromise with them meaning PSN keeps its autonomy.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Cloudman said:
Honestly, I think sony should have just gone along with the cross platform thing. 1st with MC and now Rocket League. It kinda just makes them look like the bad guy here.

That's like saying to shop at best buy, you need a targets card. To buy at amazon you need to first get a power up card from gamestop.

It is just another of MS desperate tactics.

XBL is not the reason for Sony's policy, Rocketleague doesn't use XBL as far as I know. Twintail has pointed out the reason: it's all about giving the users a reason to get a PS4. Sony is market leader, so if a new potential buyer can play with his friends it's a plus. If Sony supports this, he can do so buying a Xbox or Switch, if Sony blocks this as they do now he must get a PS4. Simple as that. Still, for the consumer it would be better, and therefore as a consumer it is fair to criticize Sony for this.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

SvennoJ said:
Mnementh said:

XBL has no policy regarding harrassment? Don't be ridiculous. This is usually the stupid reason Nintendo has for doing stuff different and they get negative responses for it every time - deserved so.

Ofcourse they have, which is exactly what complicates matters. XBL has their own policy and black list of players etc. Eurogamer just summed it all up http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-02-microsoft-really-wants-you-to-know-playing-minecraft-online-is-safe

An Xbox Live sign-in is now required for online multiplayer no matter which platform you're playing on. That includes Android phones and, eventually, Nintendo Switch. You need a gamertag to connect to a Realm, an official server partner or a hosted Minecraft world via an IP address.

"By creating an Xbox Live account and gamertag, when logged in you can set your own privacy and multiplayer preferences, create and manage accounts for your family members, and stake your claim on your name in the Minecraft universe," Microsoft said.

"Plus, because everyone will have an account, if you do run into any creepers ruining the fun, it's easy to report them, and for our Enforcement team to identify the player in question."

Yet Sony has their own policy, players you have on ignore or have warnings against them. MS conveniently ignores all of that and says jopin XBL and we'll police the userbase from scratch with our own rules about misconduct, bad language etc. When you log in to Origin or EA you're still under psn policy, yet MS wants to skip that and treat all users under theirs.

Perhaps an analogy in religion would be helpful. A Christian church and Islamic mosque say let's pray together for progress. Yet first all members have to register with the other church and adhere to their rules. It's rather one sided. MS is not just saying let's do crossplay, they also want to police the psn userbase...

Another thing is that Minecraft on psn will then be limited to MS hosted servers, giving MS a lot more leverage to make any changes they like server side. Nintendo seems to be fine with it, yet considering the state of their own online, anything would be an improvement :)

Sounds all nice and stuff, but why Sony then is blocking out cross-play for Rocketleague? It's not the reason for Sony. Basically they give a shit how the anti-harassment system is implemented. They also would be able to play together, maybe Sony gives information abouted reported and blocked players on PSN which also use Minecraft to Microsoft and vice versa. Either way, Nintendo is able to do it obviously.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

twintail said:
shikamaru317 said:
Sony should just give in and let it happen. The majority clearly wants it, it's mostly the hardcore Sony fans who want to perpetuate console wars that don't want it to happen.
What majority? Now you are just making up stuff.

Hmm, correct way to say it is probably, that a small minority want to prevent cross-play (probably for console-wars reasons). A bigger minority feels the need to play together, as they have a friend who plays Minecraft on a different platform and the ig majority don't care.

RavenXtra said:
Nothing wrong with Sony protecting their business interests, but if that's the case then they might as well drop their "For the players" slogan

Yep, this is 'For Sony'.

Around the Network
malistix1985 said:
if they make the signin to microsoft optional its win-win because people can opt to go sony's way or opt to go cross-platform and play with everyone, which is the best thing for everyone

Yeah, I can agree with that.

I think that since nintendo and ms are direct competitors and that they are suddenly for it when they have the most to gain from it, that sony is denying it on certain games because of a business decision to force gamers to buy a PS4 if they want to play the certain popular multiplayer games with their friends. People tend to forget that sony allows cross-play for alot of games for pc and has allowed it in a general sense since FF XI. It's also up for full cross-platform for FFXIV with ms. It already allows it with pc on that game.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

All for better customer practices right?

Same goes if it went the other way around. Sony dont own Minecraft and they should feel really piliviged that MS still allows this game to be played on a PS4 which is a great practice. Sony should start respecting that like Nintendo does or if i was MS i would simply remove support completely and build the game around those who actually care. Its simple.

errrr sure MS could take out the game from PS4 and would lose a lot of money on it, much more than Sony would lose on royalties and even on users.

RavenXtra said:
Nothing wrong with Sony protecting their business interests, but if that's the case then they might as well drop their "For the players" slogan

Well they can always pretend that they protecting their business is the best for the players because if they drop from business evil MS assumes =p.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:

So it's not your problem to change from: playing with others with your own gamertag, being able to find the people you know through their gamertag, to creating a new gamertag none of your friends know, under new rules, even if you're still playing with the exact same userbase? Isn't that slightly inconvenient?

I don't care about any of that. That just sounds like excuses, not solutions.
You are linking accounts. Xbox Live isn't replacing the Playstation Network.

SvennoJ said:

Why would it have the worst version of the game? It has a large userbase, MS gains much more than Sony by selling the game and its DLC on ps4.

Uh. Haven't you been paying attention?
You are missing out on multiple features by not having the better together update.

SvennoJ said:

Why would Sony care to lose out on the much smaller platform royalty. Those users will simply buy something else, maybe even a Sony game that gives them 100% of the revenue. Sure Minecraft is popular, but it's not a system seller or deal breaker. It hasn't been at parity with the PC for the longest time, has never seemed to hurt it. MS is the one that will lose the most by neglecting the ps4 version.

Those are just excuses.
Minecraft is a massive game, it's sold more copies across all platforms than probably every single Playstation 4 exclusive combined with it's current standing at 122 million copies shifted. (Or at-least the top dozen exclusives from the short glance I looked at.)
https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/27/14755644/minecraft-sales-122m-copies

SvennoJ said:

This thread is funny "Sony should be thankful MS still allows Minecraft on the ps4" MS is the one who should be thankful for getting all those ps4 users to  enjoy Minecraft who then get tempted to buy all kinds of Minecraft merchandise as well as other versions.

Please. Microsoft doesn't need the Playstation 4 for Minecraft to be successfull.
The game was a runaway success before it's release on even last generation consoles.

The game on PC+Switch+Xbox+Mobile > Playstation 4 by several multiples in total copies sold. If you think that is insignificant, then you are dreaming.

SvennoJ said:

But sure, one corporation holds a grudge while the other tries to spread the love of Minecraft for all. It's simply business. MS can save costs with a unified userbase and attract new people into XBL. Sony loses control over the multiplayer portion while seeing no extra income from this move. MS will need to sweeten the deal if they want this to happen.

Nice way to try and turn it around to make Microsoft look like the bad guy.
Sony is being anti-consumer. This isn't the first time they have denied similar cross-platform attempts. Case in point: Rocket League.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/13/15795376/rocket-league-cross-platform-playstation-4

twintail said:

Who cares about Nintendo in this equation? Multiplatform games arent what gamers gravitate towards with  Nintendo console, unlike PS and XB. So this is really just between them. And Nintendo opening up the Switch for cross platform play plays exactly into what I have been saying: Switch gets a massive online userbase influx for games like MC and RL which only benefits Nintendo and helps ensure these online games dont potentially die out quickly on the Switch.

Uh. Allot of people care. 55 million different gamers play it every month.
Minecraft is a franchise that does appeal to younger audiences, which is one of the primary demographics of the Nintendo Switch.

And the crossplay isn't just between Xbox, Switch and Playstation. It includes another 60~ million gamers on the PC and Mobile.

It is also more than just crossplay that Playstation gamers miss out on.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Didn't Sony try to go cross platform last gen and Microsoft denied them because they were winning? Sometimes the tables turn.

And I criticised Microsoft for their stance about that last generation. Fair is fair.
Unless you are suggesting that we should hate on Microsoft for them changing their policy for the better?

VariantFSS said:

Linking accounts (like U-Play, Origin, Steam, etc) to your PSN account isn't the same as loging directly into another network on a PlayStation device.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5477-WPJM-9388

Portal 2's Steam/PSN Account link process is still outlined even though it is no longer supported. Some helpful information is transmitted between the services live including "Steam Achievements".

These accounts are linked to PSN, like Origin can be linked to PSN, like U-Play can be linked to PSN... What MS wants is to bypass PSN and Nintendo Network altogether to control everything. Even though Steam allowed all manner of things to be synchronized between these two independent services including achievements and likely DLC, MS wants direct control.

If we could upvote posts in a thread. You would have soundly won.
Extremely well articulated.

Mnementh said:

Hmm, correct way to say it is probably, that a small minority want to prevent cross-play (probably for console-wars reasons). A bigger minority feels the need to play together, as they have a friend who plays Minecraft on a different platform and the ig majority don't care.

More choice is never a bad thing. Enabling cross-play doesn't remove anything from the game.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

So it's not your problem to change from: playing with others with your own gamertag, being able to find the people you know through their gamertag, to creating a new gamertag none of your friends know, under new rules, even if you're still playing with the exact same userbase? Isn't that slightly inconvenient?

I don't care about any of that. That just sounds like excuses, not solutions.
You are linking accounts. Xbox Live isn't replacing the Playstation Network.

An Xbox Live sign-in is now required for online multiplayer no matter which platform you're playing on. That includes Android phones and, eventually, Nintendo Switch. You need a gamertag to connect to a Realm, an official server partner or a hosted Minecraft world via an IP address.

That does not sound like linking accounts. That sounds very much like signing into XBL bypassing PSN.

SvennoJ said:

Why would it have the worst version of the game? It has a large userbase, MS gains much more than Sony by selling the game and its DLC on ps4.

Uh. Haven't you been paying attention?
You are missing out on multiple features by not having the better together update.

I've never played MC online, split-screen only. It doesn't work online with split-screen as our kid accounts don't have full psn accounts to start with. Why would I give them XBL accounts if I don't even want them to have PSN accounts....

SvennoJ said:

Why would Sony care to lose out on the much smaller platform royalty. Those users will simply buy something else, maybe even a Sony game that gives them 100% of the revenue. Sure Minecraft is popular, but it's not a system seller or deal breaker. It hasn't been at parity with the PC for the longest time, has never seemed to hurt it. MS is the one that will lose the most by neglecting the ps4 version.

Those are just excuses.
Minecraft is a massive game, it's sold more copies across all platforms than probably every single Playstation 4 exclusive combined with it's current standing at 122 million copies shifted. (Or at-least the top dozen exclusives from the short glance I looked at.)
https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/27/14755644/minecraft-sales-122m-copies

So? Sony stands to lose on platform royalties with unified DLC. You buy the DLC on ps4, Sony gets the full cut. Now you buy the DLC on the xbox store, has to run on ps4 as well, what does Sony earn from that transaction. It's simple business.

SvennoJ said:

This thread is funny "Sony should be thankful MS still allows Minecraft on the ps4" MS is the one who should be thankful for getting all those ps4 users to  enjoy Minecraft who then get tempted to buy all kinds of Minecraft merchandise as well as other versions.

Please. Microsoft doesn't need the Playstation 4 for Minecraft to be successfull.
The game was a runaway success before it's release on even last generation consoles.

The game on PC+Switch+Xbox+Mobile > Playstation 4 by several multiples in total copies sold. If you think that is insignificant, then you are dreaming.

If you think an extra 60 million potential players is insignificant then you are dreaming

SvennoJ said:

But sure, one corporation holds a grudge while the other tries to spread the love of Minecraft for all. It's simply business. MS can save costs with a unified userbase and attract new people into XBL. Sony loses control over the multiplayer portion while seeing no extra income from this move. MS will need to sweeten the deal if they want this to happen.

Nice way to try and turn it around to make Microsoft look like the bad guy.
Sony is being anti-consumer. This isn't the first time they have denied similar cross-platform attempts. Case in point: Rocket League.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/13/15795376/rocket-league-cross-platform-playstation-4

MS has blocked cross-platform in the past as well. That article doesn't state any reason why Sony would hold it back. Yet you think it's a grudge that Sony is ok with PC yet not xbl? We don't know the details, just the PR pressure.

Anyway here's a list of Sony's anti-consumerism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play

We don't know the terms MS and Sony have for cross platform connectivity, we only know that they're not compatible atm.