By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump Announces Ban on Transgender People in US Military

You support this?

No. 206 29.68%

Yes. 311 44.81%

^ What the hell is wrong ... 177 25.50%

Total:694
SpokenTruth said:
PieToast said:

Don't get me wrong. His reasoning did sound a lot like BS to me. He can't outright say that transgender soldiers are inferior or that they dont want to send those soldiers to transphobic countries in military bases and conflict areas for political reasons or otherwise. There's is definitely a different motive other than just money and Trump put out this statements after speaking with his PR team.

I gave the most likely motive already.

"Trump doesn't want transgenders in the military because he equates all transgender soldiers to Bradley Manning. Manning, a former transgender soldier now known as Chelsea Manning, was responsible for the massive Wikileaks cables.

This is how Trump thinks. He collectivizes entire groups based on the illicit actions of a few and then does all he can to disparage them. To him, the only infallible group are rich, white billionaires in the US."

I will throw out a very simple reason why Trump does not want Transgender people in the military.  Because Obama removed the Ban.  As much as we probably would like to think of a lot of reasons, if we just go by what Trump has done so far to remove any policy put in place by Obama so far then this makes the most sense.  As for Trump excuses, lets be real, he is the king of excuses but he only makes very small attempts to even justify his actions knowing his base will take it up no matter how stupid or full of holes and run with it.

Around the Network

If you guys knew what happens to gay guys in the military, none of you would want to subject these people to it.

I randomly saw this on Twitter with a guy named JR Salzman, he served in Iraq and put his horror story that he had to experience into context and paralleled it to the ban.

Whether you're for it or against it, I found it a very interesting read about someone who knows more about serving than most of us ever will.

Trump is just appealing to his scum coward supporter base. This is not about medical condition bullshit nor the reality of the thousands of transgender already engaged in the military without causing a fuss. This is a classic extreme Trump card to appeal to irrational hateful transphobic, even homophobic as they would no doubt have them kicked from the army too, but making it seem like the irrational alt-right representation of transgenders in real public or military service actually resembles the complaints of SJWs therefor the "medical attention" excuse.

Aeolus451 said:

That has more to do with how their family, friends and people around in their daily lives treat them, normal life stuff and their individual brain chemistry for their depression/other issues.

I am part of the LGBTQI community. And I am happy to say that statement of yours is an utter load of crap.

When you have the religious right constantly telling you that you are going to hell, your life is a sin... Constant hate, threats and discrimination.
Having to deal with LGBTQI-Phobes for your entire life, being discriminated against... (It's better these days than when I was a kid decades ago... Still not perfect though.)
And in some cases fear for your life... And the only reprieve you actually have is family and friends... Then try and tell me they are the cause. - Again, this falls back into the "You haven't lived it" scenario.

The irony is, with the rise of the far-right in recent years, such negative hateful vitriol is on the rise... And not just in the USA either.

Aeolus451 said:

To that bolded part, fuck that noise. I get to have a say because I'm a free thinking individual. I don't have to be a part of some club to have a say. What kind of backwards logic is that?

The logic is simple. It's like men deciding what is best for women's health.
You haven't lived it, you haven't experienced it, you haven't endured it so you don't have a genuine idea.

Sure you can voice your opinion, but that opinion shouldn't hold any weight as it's not an educated opinion.

Aeolus451 said:

You said it yourself about depression and suicides. Let's be real. The vast majority of people with gender dysphoria have a variety degrees of depression and similar issues, would you agree with that? It's similar with the ones who transitioned but it's not as bad right?

Of course I agree with that. That means they require some extra support, not a kick in the face and told to piss off, that solves nothing.
Plus it is not limited to people with Gender Dysphoria, it is a massive issue across the entire LGBTQI spectrum.

And if you are going to deny Transgender people from the military based upon things such as Depression, then you should deny all LGBTQI citizens from the same as well... And then we start delving back into inequality/discrimination all over again. - And that should have been over and done with a century ago.

With that, mental health is a big issue across the military anyway, PTSD is a big issue, issues can arise with personel on the field, bullying, rape and so on, if people are still suffering from mental health issues, then your system needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom with the appropriate levels of support available.

Torillian said:

You keep not putting any studies for anything you say, but let's say your correct and 95% of Trans people would be deemed unfit to serve the military in the standard screening. Why should we not allow in the 5% that could pass the screening?

Agreed. If they are fit to serve, then they should be allowed to serve. You do NOT do a blanketed discriminatory ban across everyone. Because that is... *Drum roll* discrimination. The USA is supposed to be the country of opportunity and the free, right? You have to set the example.

SpokenTruth said:

But his generals have all come out, as it were, against this.    As as for costs, we spend $85 million on erectile dysfunction medication in the military versus a little more $8 million on transgender specific care.

The cost shouldn't even be the issue. Your country spends 600~ billion on the military. What is $8 million dollars, really? I mean common.
You probably spend more than that on superfluous rubbish anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Aeolus451 said:

That has more to do with how their family, friends and people around in their daily lives treat them, normal life stuff and their individual brain chemistry for their depression/other issues.

I am part of the LGBTQI community. And I am happy to say that statement of yours is an utter load of crap.

When you have the religious right constantly telling you that you are going to hell, your life is a sin... Constant hate, threats and discrimination.
Having to deal with LGBTQI-Phobes for your entire life, being discriminated against... (It's better these days than when I was a kid decades ago... Still not perfect though.)
And in some cases fear for your life... And the only reprieve you actually have is family and friends... Then try and tell me they are the cause. - Again, this falls back into the "You haven't lived it" scenario.

The irony is, with the rise of the far-right in recent years, such negative hateful vitriol is on the rise... And not just in the USA either.

I was talking in a general sense and every person's experience is likely unique to some extent. Your experience doesn't negate what I said. The most important factor for them is their friends and family's acceptance of them though in comparison to societal experiences.

Pemalite said:

Aeolus451 said:

To that bolded part, fuck that noise. I get to have a say because I'm a free thinking individual. I don't have to be a part of some club to have a say. What kind of backwards logic is that?

The logic is simple. It's like men deciding what is best for women's health.
You haven't lived it, you haven't experienced it, you haven't endured it so you don't have a genuine idea.

Sure you can voice your opinion, but that opinion shouldn't hold any weight as it's not an educated opinion.

I very much disagree with this line of thinking. It closes down any sort of discussion on a topic when you automatically say an opinion doesn't count or that they don't have a say because they haven't walked your shoes so to speak.  

I've seen it used as a lameass attempt at a defense by alot of the left so they don't have to defend their opinions on issues or why think something. It's very backwards. Being a man does not give me an educated perspective on men's issues, if gives me some insight into the issues I've experienced personally but not all across the board with everythiing guy related. It's just an inside perspective and it doesn't mean my opinions on men's issues have more weight than a woman or trans FTM on those issues. My experience could perhaps shed some light on some things for them if I tell them of it but it doesn't make me right on any of it. A guy could be right about a woman's issue even though most women disagree with it, same thing the other way around. 

Alot of the times, a problem is not solved by the people involved but from a person looking in from the outside. It's incredibly toxic and idiotic for people to go down this rabbit hole. Do you really want cis or white people to tell minorties that they can't have a say with majority related issues or criticize the majorities because they're not like them? Doesn't that sound familiar?

Aeolus451 said:

I was talking in a general sense and every person's experience is likely unique to some extent. Your experience doesn't negate what I said. The most important factor for them is their friends and family's acceptance of them though in comparison to societal experiences.

Well. Actually it does negate what you said.
Because I am part of the LGBTQI community.
I have worked in the LGBTQI community.
I have friends and family in the LGBTQI community.

The acceptance issue starts from outside of family and friends. There would be significantly less Homophobic rhetoric in the world if various religions were not calling the LGBTQI community an abomination... A sin. That they are going to hell. And so on.

I suggest you watch the film "Prayers for Bobby" with Sigourney Weaver. Great film, might open up your perspective on how outside anti-LGBTQI influences family dynamics.

Aeolus451 said:

I very much disagree with this line of thinking. It closes down any sort of discussion on a topic when you automatically say an opinion doesn't count or that they don't have a say because they haven't walked your shoes so to speak. 

It really doesn't though.

Aeolus451 said:

I've seen it used as a lameass attempt at a defense by alot of the left so they don't have to defend their opinions on issues or why think something. It's very backwards.

Yeah. I am not a typical lefty. I hold some far-right ideas. And I am happy to change my view if evidence comes to pass. But if I see an idiot or a claim I don't agree with, you bet your ass I will call them out on it.

Aeolus451 said:

Being a man does not give me an educated perspective on men's issues, if gives me some insight into the issues I've experienced personally but not all across the board with everythiing guy related.

It does give you an educated perspective if you combine your perspective with others that have endured the same experience.
You are turning it into a straw man argument now anyway.

Aeolus451 said:

It's just an inside perspective and it doesn't mean my opinions on men's issues have more weight than a woman or trans FTM on those issues. My experience could perhaps shed some light on some things for them if I tell them of it but it doesn't make me right on any of it. A guy could be right about a woman's issue even though most women disagree with it, same thing the other way around.

Can't agree with any of that. You cannot have a man for instance tell a woman about their "cycle". I.E. How much pain they go through, the best products to use for controlling their period etc'.

And you cannot have someone outside of the trans community tell someone who is trans what is right or wrong and what they should and should not do, it's not only not your concern, but it's not your business anyway.

Aeolus451 said:

Alot of the times, a problem is not solved by the people involved but from a person looking in from the outside. It's incredibly toxic and idiotic for people to go down this rabbit hole. Do you really want cis or white people to tell minorties that they can't have a say with majority related issues or criticize the majorities because they're not like them? Doesn't that sound familiar?

Sure. An outside perspective does help. But it's not going to help in this instance. There isn't an issue that needs to be solved within the community itself.

And you have completely turned my argument around and warped it. I am NOT saying that you can't have an opinion or view. In-fact, in my last post I strictled stated you CAN have an opinion. Again. You are turning it into a straw man argument, so please stop it.

Pemalite said:
Aeolus451 said:

1. Well. Actually it does negate what you said.
Because I am part of the LGBTQI community.
I have worked in the LGBTQI community.
I have friends and family in the LGBTQI community.

The acceptance issue starts from outside of family and friends. There would be significantly less Homophobic rhetoric in the world if various religions were not calling the LGBTQI community an abomination... A sin. That they are going to hell. And so on.

I suggest you watch the film "Prayers for Bobby" with Sigourney Weaver. Great film, might open up your perspective on how outside anti-LGBTQI influences family dynamics.

Aeolus451 said:

I've seen it used as a lameass attempt at a defense by alot of the left so they don't have to defend their opinions on issues or why think something. It's very backwards.

2 Yeah. I am not a typical lefty. I hold some far-right ideas. And I am happy to change my view if evidence comes to pass. But if I see an idiot or a claim I don't agree with, you bet your ass I will call them out on it.

Aeolus451 said:

Being a man does not give me an educated perspective on men's issues, if gives me some insight into the issues I've experienced personally but not all across the board with everythiing guy related.

3 It does give you an educated perspective if you combine your perspective with others that have endured the same experience.
You are turning it into a straw man argument now anyway.

Aeolus451 said:

It's just an inside perspective and it doesn't mean my opinions on men's issues have more weight than a woman or trans FTM on those issues. My experience could perhaps shed some light on some things for them if I tell them of it but it doesn't make me right on any of it. A guy could be right about a woman's issue even though most women disagree with it, same thing the other way around.

4 Can't agree with any of that. You cannot have a man for instance tell a woman about their "cycle". I.E. How much pain they go through, the best products to use for controlling their period etc'.

And you cannot have someone outside of the trans community tell someone who is trans what is right or wrong and what they should and should not do, it's not only not your concern, but it's not your business anyway.

Aeolus451 said:

5 Sure. An outside perspective does help. But it's not going to help in this instance. There isn't an issue that needs to be solved within the community itself.

And you have completely turned my argument around and warped it. I am NOT saying that you can't have an opinion or view. In-fact, in my last post I strictled stated you CAN have an opinion. Again. You are turning it into a straw man argument, so please stop it.

ugh. 

1. I've talked to alot of the gay community, read things by gay/trans, watch vids youtubes from some of them on some of this. The family and friends of a gay/trans not accepting and supporting is devasting to that person and it's more damaging than what some people on the net say to that person. 

2. Oh really? You've used that defense even in your recent reply to me to dismiss my points. 

3. You're still being dimissive of an outsiders point of view. It wasn't a strawman but an example of my point which you apparently didn't get.

4. This what I was referring to in 2. i don't have need a vagina to understand women's issues. You're dismissing others' opinion because they are in the same club.

5. I turned your arguement around so you can see the stupidity and hypocrisy of it. You're very much saying that I can't have an opinion or a say. You did it with 4. Again, using an example to show my point is not a strawman.

We have gone through this before AGAIN AND AGAIN. People just need to stop being assholes about it.

Black people were banned from the military. Women were banned from the military. Gay people were banned from the military. NOW transgender people are.

It all seems so pointless. Progress ALWAYS wins. People are just people. If they are willing to die for this country, why does it matter what color they are, or what genitals they have?

Aeolus451 said:

1. I've talked to alot of the gay community, read things by gay/trans, watch vids youtubes from some of them on some of this. The family and friends of a gay/trans not accepting and supporting is devasting to that person and it's more damaging than what some people on the net say to that person.

Considering Youtube is a place where people find fabricated evidence that the world is "flat". - Need I say more?

Talking, reading is one thing. Living it is an entirely different kettle of fish.
It's a shame you cannot be placed within the shoes of someone in the LGBTQI community, your eyes might be opened.

Aeolus451 said:

4. This what I was referring to in 2. i don't have need a vagina to understand women's issues. You're dismissing others' opinion because they are in the same club.

So you have an understanding of the stigma LGBTQI suffer on a daily basis?
You understand the fear that LGBTQI go through when they travel overseas and their life could potentially be put at risk for how they were born?

You understand the pain women go through during child birth or when they are having their period?

To think you understand any of these issues on a personal level is... Hilarious to say the least.

Aeolus451 said:

5. I turned your arguement around so you can see the stupidity and hypocrisy of it. You're very much saying that I can't have an opinion or a say. You did it with 4. Again, using an example to show my point is not a strawman.

This pretty much sums up the entire conversation, the twisting of statesments/intention. - You took my argument out of context and THEN turned it around, not the same thing.

I explicitely stated you are entitled to have an opinion. Do I really need to quote myself?

I think I will end the conversation here, clearly your view is very anti-LGBTQI and thus goes against everything I stand for. I'm sorry I am not willing to treat others differently because of false preconceptions or some kind of desire to dictate what someone can or can't do due to the various reproductive organs that they may/may not posses. Hopefully that changes for you some day.