By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can WiiU and Switch combined pass the Xbox One Sales this generation?

Is it possible?

Yes 135 65.22%

No 23 11.11%

Perhaps 11 5.31%

Please stop this Switch w... 38 18.36%

Total:207
RolStoppable said:
Jigsawx1 said:

The Wii weekly sales where better from the beginning and it had something comepletly new (controls) and the pefect games for that like Wii Sports also mariokart was a new experience,the games that pushed the wii where not the classic nintendo games it was wii sports  its not the same! the Switch hast got a tablet/handheld function it only combines something that is existing.

I think this means that we can agree that Wii sales lasted for an entire generation because the Wii's unique properties gave it a monopoly over a certain segment of the market.

You recognize that Switch has handheld functionality, but you mistake it for something that is of low importance because handheld gaming has already existed for well over two decades. If you look at the situation properly, you'll have to realize that Switch will command a monopoly in the handheld market. The 3DS is on its final stretch while Sony won't make a successor to the Vita. 3DS and Vita will combine for ~85m units by the end of their lives, so that's a pretty big known market that Nintendo will have all to themselves.

You could also see that as a retreat from the classic handheld market because of the  strength  of the tablets and smartphones, the best times for handheld`s are over....

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Jigsawx1 said:

You could also see that as a retreat from the classic handheld market because of the  strength  of the tablets and smartphones, the best times for handheld`s are over....

If you put blinders on, sure. We could see it your way. We could also see Switch as a retreat from the classic home console market.

But taking a step back to see the big picture, it should become clear that Switch is not a retreat from either market, but quite the opposite. By combining games that were previously spread across three platforms (Wii U, 3DS and Vita), it's a console that is stronger as a home gaming system and as a portable system. That's why Switch is in high demand right now and that's why demand will rise even further in the future when more people begin to realize how versatile the platform is and how rich its game library is.

And if you go another step back and put away your blinders away then you would see that Smartphones and tablets destroyed the handheld market (NDS+NDsL vs. 3ds) and that the way to create a hybrid console is the only way to not compete directly with xbox one and ps4, dont interpret me wrong its a nice idea and it will sell "well" (@ Xbox One Level)  but to think the switch will sell on the wii level is dreaming.

RolStoppable said:
Jigsawx1 said:

And if you go another step back and put away your blinders away then you would see that Smartphones and tablets destroyed the handheld market (NDS+NDsL vs. 3ds) and that the way to create a hybrid console is the only way to not compete directly with xbox one and ps4, dont interpret me wrong its a nice idea and it will sell "well" (@ Xbox One Level)  but to think the switch will sell on the wii level is dreaming.

There's a thread with launch-aligned comparisons between the Switch and all previous gen consoles (Wii U, 3DS, PS4, Vita, XB1). Switch's momentum is more than twice as high as the XB1's. These two consoles aren't going to end up with similar sales.

But there is something let think about it ...... oh yeah its called "hype" hype`s are ending. I would align with you if the switch would have a good 3rd support but without that and without another Wii Sports game i dont see that happening........

People are still underestimating the Switch! I don't know if I should think it's funny or sad.

RolStoppable said:
Jigsawx1 said:

But there is something let think about it ...... oh yeah its called "hype" hype`s are ending. I would align with you if the switch would have a good 3rd support but without that and without another Wii Sports game i dont see that happening........

At this point the discussion is going to go in circles, so I'll tell you the same thing I told BraLoD in his thread that was about Nintendo should go third party because the Switch shows that Nintendo doesn't know how to make appealing hardware.

All I need to do is wait, because time is in my favor and time makes more converts than reason.

sure lets wait then......

Around the Network

Well seeing as Switch is 9th gen(imo) and Wii U is gen 8 with the PS4/XB1 I don't know why we would combine the sales of two different gens......

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Combined? Switch alone will pass XB1 numbers without problems.

I voted yes. But, as I say on every one of these threads, this kind of question no longer works. Generations are changing. We don't know where the XB1 or Switch families will end, so we cannot answer this intelligently.

I say this has a 141 2/3 chance of happening!

ArchangelMadzz said:
StarDoor said:

Yeah, and the only way the Switch is being discontinued with less than 50 million units is if it's discontinued before the end of 2020. Have you seen its weekly sales figures?

I have seen them and I disagree. Obviously once it's done I'll eat my words but we'll see. 

These are some tasty words *grabs napkin*

ArchangelMadzz said:

I've got switch at 40-50 million lifetime and Xbox one at 50-60 million lifetime. It will be close I think.

At least I was half right....

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'