By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can WiiU and Switch combined pass the Xbox One Sales this generation?

Is it possible?

Yes 135 65.22%

No 23 11.11%

Perhaps 11 5.31%

Please stop this Switch w... 38 18.36%

Total:207
Jigsawx1 said:
Shiken said:
The Switch alone will outsell X1.

Why you think so because of a good start?

Because so far they are hitting it out of the park.  Everything from the advertising, the games, and the concept has been spot on and a market for it exists.  Not to mention that this will be the system that 3DS owners move on to as well.

As of now, it is pointless to own a X1 if you own a PS4.  However the Switch will have a library of its own so PS4 gamers (and X1 for that matter) will have more of a reason to get one.  Nintendo is not pulling any punches with their IPs this time around it seems, this is not the WiiU all over.  Furthermore the portability will be a major factor when it comes to the 3rd party it does get (the extent of 3rd party support has yet to be seen)

Also I do not see the X1X moving many units outside of enthusiasts.  With no real exclusives outside of Forza, Halo, and Gears (two of which have gone downhill in the past two releases) being worth buying the console for (Crackdown 3 looks like a disappointment), the X1X is nothing more than a glorified steambox with X1 OS and a disc drive.

So no, it is not just because of a strong start.  The writting is on the wall.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
StarDoor said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
I've got switch at 40-50 million lifetime and Xbox one at 50-60 million lifetime. It will be close I think.

What makes you think that the Switch is going to be replaced before the Xbox One?

Huh? if you're joking I'm not sure I follow. 

When Xbox One gets discontinued I think it will be 50-60 probably 50 something. And when Switch is discontinued I think it will be 40-50 something. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
StarDoor said:

What makes you think that the Switch is going to be replaced before the Xbox One?

When Xbox One gets discontinued I think it will be 50-60 probably 50 something. And when Switch is discontinued I think it will be 40-50 something. 

Yeah, and the only way the Switch is being discontinued with less than 50 million units is if it's discontinued before the end of 2020. Have you seen its weekly sales figures?

ArchangelMadzz said:
StarDoor said:

That's a terrible prediction, so why make it? You're expecting a 43% drop in sales for the Switch compared to what the 3DS will end up selling, lol. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Switch is a 9th gen system, not 8th gen. You cannot add it up to Wii U numbers to make Nintendo look better.

Around the Network

Switch will do it alone if they eventually get supply issues sorted out. A Pokemon title and a few more Mario variants will put the final nail in the coffin.

StarDoor said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Yeah, and the only way the Switch is being discontinued with less than 50 million units is if it's discontinued before the end of 2020. Have you seen its weekly sales figures?

I have seen them and I disagree. Obviously once it's done I'll eat my words but we'll see. 

Alkibiádēs said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

That's a terrible prediction, so why make it? You're expecting a 43% drop in sales for the Switch compared to what the 3DS will end up selling, lol. 

I don't think it will sell as well as the 3DS when all is said and done. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Switch will do it alone if they eventually get supply issues sorted out. A Pokemon title and a few more Mario variants will put the final nail in the coffin.

The WiiU had mario, mario kart, Splatoon, Zelda etc. and a minimal 3rd support at the beginning with fifa and cod but its doesnt sold well.

Why you think the same games can save the switch without 3rd`s?

My opinion is that the nintendo fanbase (something like 15- 20 million) only want to change their systems fast because they dont get any more games for their wiiu!

Isnt it already?

RolStoppable said:
Jigsawx1 said:

The WiiU had mario, mario kart, Splatoon, Zelda etc. and a minimal 3rd support at the beginning with fifa and cod but its doesnt sold well.

Why you think the same games can save the switch without 3rd`s?

My opinion is that the nintendo fanbase (something like 15- 20 million) only want to change their systems fast because they dont get any more games for their wiiu!

Ten years ago many people had a very similar opinion about the Wii. "Nintendo games didn't save the GameCube and third party support for the Wii is even worse than for the GC. The Wii is only selling this fast because there won't be any games for the GC anymore and GC owners are upgrading. Once that's over, sales will drop like a rock."

Back in early 2007 when the Wii was about as old as the Switch is now, there were Xbox fans who were sure that the Wii would never pass the Xbox 360 in sales. It happened later in the same year. Now of course the circumstances for Switch and Xbox One are different, so the Switch won't pass the Xbox One in sales in 2017, but it's inevitable because the Switch, just like the Wii, has a lot more going for it than you believe.

All consoles that started their life with momentum similar to Switch crossed the 50m mark without breaking a sweat. Since your thread combines Switch and Wii U, we are already looking at a minimum of 65m units and that's a bar that will be very hard to reach for the Xbox One because it is already 3.5 years old and its sales pace isn't going to increase because it's stuck with an unfavorable image in most countries. Xbox One X can do decently in the USA and UK, but in the rest of the world Xbox One has been written off already and an expensive revision isn't going to change that.

The Wii weekly sales where better from the beginning and it had something comepletly new (controls) and the pefect games for that like Wii Sports and also mariokart was a new experience, the games that pushed the wii where not the classic nintendo games it was wii sports  its not the same! the Switch hast got a tablet/handheld function it only combines something that is existing which is really nice but if that will hit the mass market like the wii? i think this is a dream......