By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best explanation why Zelda BotW is great

Ka-pi96 said:
If it takes 18 mins then it's not even a good explanation, let alone the best one...

How long/short would you say it should be? I think 5-8 minutes should be enough.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
vivster said:

18 minutes to say why the game is great. I only need a few words to explain how the game ruined itself with pointless mechanics. Doesn't matter how many things a game does well when the things it does terribly are so bad that it makes you want to quit it.

And those are? 

KLAMarine said:
Would be even greater on PC.

Not for me, handheld mode is the best bit about the game imo.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Mar1217 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

And those are? 

You missed a good chunk of march I guess xD He was all over the breaking weapons mechanic

I mean the weapon breaking adds more depth to the game. If you could use the Master Sword nonstop then what's the point of experimenting with other weapons? It causes you to think about what weapon you want to use and how you should use it to its full effect. Not one weapon is better than the other, sure some are stronger but others can be more practical. Small things like that make me really think and enjoy the game even more.

radishhead said:
KLAMarine said:
Would be even greater on PC.

Not for me, handheld mode is the best bit about the game imo.

PC has mobile gaming options. It has the most options out of all the gaming platforms and an open-world game like BotW stands only to benefit from the openness of the PC platform.

Around the Network

I saw this article posted on reddit recently that also seems to explain it quite well: https://www.redvaluegaming.com/2017/07/11/how-master-mode-is-a-reminder-on-why-breath-of-the-wild-got-97-on-metacritic/

Please like and subscribe!

In the 80s when I saw the art of Link looking over the valley from the crag I just wanted to explore it in 3D. Back then It could be nothing more than that is a dream. 31 years later and BotW made it a reality even down to looking over the valley in the opening shot.

TH3-D0S3R said:
Mar1217 said:

You missed a good chunk of march I guess xD He was all over the breaking weapons mechanic

I mean the weapon breaking adds more depth to the game. If you could use the Master Sword nonstop then what's the point of experimenting with other weapons? It causes you to think about what weapon you want to use and how you should use it to its full effect. Not one weapon is better than the other, sure some are stronger but others can be more practical. Small things like that make me really think and enjoy the game even more.

I agree. What I love most about the weapon system is that is works with exploration *so well*. I always hated how in the Zeldas i played, exploration was mostly just met with a rupee(which was super frustrating especially when your wallet is maxed) or a heartpiece.. After a while exploration became useless. Because of the durability of weapons and the amount of powerful weapons in the game, exploration is almost always rewarded. 

TH3-D0S3R said:
Mar1217 said:

I haven't played Zelda, so this is not me judging the game itself. However, degrading weapons (and from what I've seen, it's quite bad in Zelda) isn't a fun way to promote experimentation. If you want to have depth, and encourage players to use all kinds of weaponry, then give them varius strengths, and weaknesses, to go along with inherently different play styles.....rather than making one outright best weapon in the game, and then making everything break after every 5 minutes of use to make sure people keep switching it up. That's just nonsense

Angelus said:
TH3-D0S3R said:

I haven't played Zelda, so this is not me judging the game itself. However, degrading weapons (and from what I've seen, it's quite bad in Zelda) isn't a fun way to promote experimentation. If you want to have depth, and encourage players to use all kinds of weaponry, then give them varius strengths, and weaknesses, to go along with inherently different play styles.....rather than making one outright best weapon in the game, and then making everything break after every 5 minutes of use to make sure people keep switching it up. That's just nonsense

That's not how it works at all in the game lol. I know you said you weren't judging the game, just saying. It's a bit more nuanced and works much better, just imo though.