By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best explanation why Zelda BotW is great

DOverlord said:
I saw this article posted on reddit recently that also seems to explain it quite well: https://www.redvaluegaming.com/2017/07/11/how-master-mode-is-a-reminder-on-why-breath-of-the-wild-got-97-on-metacritic/

Thanks, I'm sure I didn't learn to read for nothing in school. Freaking milennials liking the sound of their voice too much, can't stand videos.

As for the explanation. For me BotW was great for the exploration, best enjoyed without unlocking the map towers. (An automap feature would have been great though) Combat was there to slow you down from running all over the map, yet in itself only the Lynel fights were interesting for a while. The constant breaking of weapons made me avoid enemies rather than wasting resources on them. There's no point in defeating them unless they're in the way.

I maxed out stamina first for exploration which kept the game dangerous enough at 3 hearts while enemies were levelling up around me. It also meant that dying gave me back full health, so didn't really matter, try again.

Master mode is not for me. I spend 170 hours exploring without using teleportation. Since I already know the entire map now and have completed every shrine, there's no compelling reason to do it again.

It was the same with HZD for me. I left the map robots for last, explored at my leisure. It took about 80 hours to complete, not compelled to go back since I've seen it all already. The combat was actually more fun in HZD, more options, more interesting enemies. BotW had better exploration oportunities with climbing and gliding. You could jump up mountains in HZD but usually run into an invisible wall or a reload trigger.

Around the Network

What doesn't immerse me in the world is weapons constantly breaking after only a few enemies. Also enemies give no exp or incentive so I'd usually just run past them to keep my feeble weapons intact. People claim it adds realism but it doesn't.  Who are these blacksmiths making swords that can't kill two goblins without breaking? Why can't I craft or repair weapons?

It's a really fun game but it's got plenty of flaws. The two I mentioned are just the ones that annoyed me most.

Thespiralmatrix said:

What doesn't immerse me in the world is weapons constantly breaking after only a few enemies. Also enemies give no exp or incentive so I'd usually just run past them to keep my feeble weapons intact. People claim it adds realism but it doesn't.  Who are these blacksmiths making swords that can't kill two goblins without breaking? Why can't I craft or repair weapons?

It's a really fun game but it's got plenty of flaws. The two I mentioned are just the ones that annoyed me most.

Assuming there are no blacksmiths (which no, there are none) most of the weapons are around 100 years old. Story wise, I would expect this to be cause all blacksmiths were either in Hyrule Castle or part of the Royal Guards, which died when Ganon took over the Guardians. 

Now crafting and repairing, I really don't get why it isn't in the game. I have my theory that the minerals you get where at some point in development used to craft your own weapons, because when you look at it they're the items with the least uses in the game (selling, some sidequests, and upgrading), but they probably couldn't implement it or ran out of time. There is some special crafting though, the Anti-guardian items. Probably the coolest weapons in the game.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
vivster said:

18 minutes to say why the game is great. I only need a few words to explain how the game ruined itself with pointless mechanics. Doesn't matter how many things a game does well when the things it does terribly are so bad that it makes you want to quit it.

And those are? 

It rains sometimes and I can't climb a mountain

My shiny weapon broke, I wanted to use that weapon for the whole game so I could avoid all the other mechanics and weapons that the game has to offer me!

Probably those two, maybe something thrown in about how there isn't breadcrumbs to follow or someone taking you by the hand dragging you from dungeon to dungeon screaming "CLICK THAT BUTTON TO KILL GANON A BIT!" Before dragging you to the next dungeon splicing in the trip with a 20 minute unskippable cutscene.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

And those are? 

My shiny weapon broke, I wanted to use that weapon for the whole game so I could avoid all the other mechanics and weapons that the game has to offer me!

Probably those two, maybe something thrown in about how there isn't breadcrumbs to follow or someone taking you by the hand dragging you from dungeon to dungeon screaming "CLICK THAT BUTTON TO KILL GANON A BIT!" Before dragging you to the next dungeon splicing in the trip with a 20 minute unskippable cutscene.

Lol! Too be fair the Lightning can get really annoying xD The first time I was like "WHAT? what is that? Uh hhh wha - " *ZAP* 

*harp music*

GAME OVER 

Around the Network

The weapon breaking mechanic is a total non-issue and makes the game a lot better even. Do you want to know what kind of weapons are in my inventory currently? Nothing but Savage Lynel Crushers, Savage Lynel Swords, an Ancient Bladesaw and some elemental weapons. Oh and a Master Sword with +60 attack all the time. My most powerful weapon has a stat of +108.

People who complain about that need to "Git gud". 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Ganoncrotch said:

Lol! Too be fair the Lightning can get really annoying xD The first time I was like "WHAT? what is that? Uh hhh wha - " *ZAP* 

*harp music*

GAME OVER 

It will probably lead to a death for everyone the first time they encounter it happening unless you are really quick on your feet with what is happening. However it is a tutorial free way of showing you that metal things in Zelda conduct electricity, you can use this to your advantage in puzzles later in the game which can be solved by dropping your metal weapons or shields and creating links for energy to flow over or you can use it to weaponise the lightning during thunderstorms, I've used metal weapons and thrown them to enemy groups while fighting during storms in that game, one of my worst fuck ups ever was doing it with a giant boomerang.... got the timing wrong and had it fly back at me just as the Lightning hit it :S

Still though, the game never has to give you a tutorial to explain that lightning is a tool in the game... it shows you... you walk outside, metal shit starts to sparkle, after about 10 seconds metal shit is hit by lightning. Love that system of "Show, don't tell". Sure like i said, it killed me the first time, but then I played for 200+ hours knowing it was there in the air and not to be played around with (until I got the helm from the desert then you can run into camps of enemies as lightning rains down on you lol)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ok

Alkibiádēs said:

The weapon breaking mechanic is a total non-issue and makes the game a lot better even. Do you want to know what kind of weapons are in my inventory currently? Nothing but Savage Lynel Crushers, Savage Lynel Swords, an Ancient Bladesaw and some elemental weapons. Oh and a Master Sword with +60 attack all the time. My most powerful weapon has a stat of +108.

People who complain about that need to "Git gud". 

Hey!

*High five* Got a 108 AP Crusher as well :)

Can confirm though... if you have issues with the weapon breaking mechanic you are missing out on what the game is trying to get you to explore and seek out in the lands.

Great fun getting a new Chainsaw and tearing into the world with it, then it breaks... and you get to test out a new instrument of destruction.

Ka-pi96 said:
Pagan said:

He have to make comparisons with other games like Horizon. 

Back when i was a student the explanations where always long. Dont remember any intelligent person who have done an explantion for a matter in a few seconds. I am sure you want it like trump. The whole Intelligence report for the whole world on one page with pictures ? That is what you need. Sorry he cant do that. There are podcasts and monologs about games which are longer than one hour just for one game. I dont understand you. Sorry. 

Is this an attempt to insult my intelligence or something? If that was the intent you really should have done it without the spelling and grammatical errors...

English was not my main subject after the high school. German, french and italian. My english is good enough that i can reply. Could you please reply in italian, german or french?