By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Oddworld Creator, Lorne Lanning Exposes Nintendo! & Says Tasteless Stuff About Iwata!

twintail said:
burninmylight said:

I'm aware of that, but the bolded sentence is the point. If you're supposed to be an industry professional, then speak and act professionally. It doesn't change the fact that it was in poor taste.

Some of you really just need to chill out. Like seriously. 

Get a job, hippie.

Warned ~ CGI

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
naruball said:

I don't know what Sony did compared to what NInty did but for them to complain about one company and not the other, they must have a reason.

I'm inclined to believe the people who actually invested money in this rather than fans who tend to defend anything their company does (not you, at least you question the validity of some points instead of rejecting everything).

As for your point, if Ninty doesn't try to accommodate their needs to some extent because "it ain't their job", they can keep having shitty 3rd party support. Sony obviously knows better in that regard.
It's how business works. It may not be your job to do x, but the client or seller can choose a more lucrative deal.

Well, if I was worth more than Sony and had shitty 3rd party support I'd be okay with that. And again, you have to be careful when choosing what titles are on Nintendo platforms. You can't just release anything on Nintendo and expect it to sell, now THATS not how business works. You have to do your own research and development. You never hear Rennegade kid, Wayforward, etc. whining about Nintendo because they have affinity with Nintendo. They create the type of games that Nintendo is known for and it's familiar to the Nintendo fanbase. If I was giving a speech to some vegans about how good beef and chicken are, and how they should eat it, wouldn't that be a waste of time? They'd want to hear about vegan foods, benefits, etc. I know it's a dumb analogy but it works, speak to your base. Don't expect to drop something on Nintendo and have it sell, especially on a console with 13 million users.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Also, you're putting all the blame on 3rd party developers and none on Ninty. Let's just agree to disagree since we'll keep going in circles.

monocle_layton said:
This dude is being an ass.

The Switch isn't powerful. How the hell is that Nintendo's fault? It's a hybrid which is still powerful considering the fact that it's $300 and a slim 6.2 inch device. The comment about Iwata's death is tasteless too.

ikr! To insinuate that Nintendo killed Iwata...that's just a terribly worded thought. For developers who whine about Switch's power, they aren't going to succeed on the platform anyways. The ones that understand the Switch and its appeal and make new engaging experiences on the platform will succeed. Sure, it isn't the most powerful device on the market but find a device that's portable with the software that it has and you see that Switch is in a realm of its own.  

It'll be okay, I'm highly optimistic on the device, developers just have to adapt to what sells on Switch. Which is kind of a little much to ask for I can see, but if it gets to that point just don't support the platform. I'll stand by the idea that Japanese and Japanese styled games will sell best on Switch. Hell, the industry was basically built on Japanese software, to think that Switch can't sustain itself with Japanese software is insane. Of course you'll have games like Minecraft and Rocket League, etc. which have a wide appeal but on Nintendo certain games just don't sell. Oddworld seems to be on eof them.

Chazore said:
onionberry said:

Not really, I understand if big AAA games need more time because of the hardware. But indie games like oddworld should be there day one if they really want that free promotion, it's an incentive. But if Nintendo receives the last port then what's the point of promoting a niche indie game that you can play everywhere. That's not good business. I don't like that "we're indie so please understand" mentality.

That's the joke right?, please tell me you're being funny because that's what we get from Nintendo, that's what we got in the form of excuses from both the company and fans who turned "please understand" into a joke of a meme.

I aboslutely dislike that mentality from both sides tbh.

I'm not even talking about Nintendo, I'm talking about indie developers acting like victims. On nintendo platforms or any platform. What I get from this guy is that he blames Nintendo because his game is not that successful on nintendo consoles because he thinks that Nintendo HAS to advertise a late port of a niche indie game, boohoo the victim. Meanwhile the developers of shovel knight are extremely happy with Nintendo...

naruball said:
Ljink96 said:

Well, if I was worth more than Sony and had shitty 3rd party support I'd be okay with that. And again, you have to be careful when choosing what titles are on Nintendo platforms. You can't just release anything on Nintendo and expect it to sell, now THATS not how business works. You have to do your own research and development. You never hear Rennegade kid, Wayforward, etc. whining about Nintendo because they have affinity with Nintendo. They create the type of games that Nintendo is known for and it's familiar to the Nintendo fanbase. If I was giving a speech to some vegans about how good beef and chicken are, and how they should eat it, wouldn't that be a waste of time? They'd want to hear about vegan foods, benefits, etc. I know it's a dumb analogy but it works, speak to your base. Don't expect to drop something on Nintendo and have it sell, especially on a console with 13 million users.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Also, you're putting all the blame on 3rd party developers and none on Ninty. Let's just agree to disagree since we'll keep going in circles.

Okay, let me put in in laymans terms...if I am trying to sell something to a group of people who have historically not bought that product, what sense does it make to keep trying to sell it to them with different results...that's the definition of insanity. I'm saying that other developers have great standing with Nintendo and a lot of them have great stories to tell. We can't act like one game developer who makes a game that nobody really cared about to begin with changes things.

Around the Network
naruball said:
spemanig said:

For late ports of indie games that were first available on other console platforms? Nintendo promotes indies all the time too, but I've never seen any of the big 3 bend over backwards for late console ports.

New N Tastey had three videos on Nintendo's Youtube btw, so what he's expecting in terms of promotion clearly superceeds just that.

So, you actually think that all these 3rd party developers who don't make games for Ninty systems are at wrong and not the fans who defend Ninty and disregard reports of the developers. I find it highly unlikely that so many of them are wrong and fans are wiser than all of them.

You don't win arguments by dismantling points that were never made.

naruball said:
spemanig said:

For late ports of indie games that were first available on other console platforms? Nintendo promotes indies all the time too, but I've never seen any of the big 3 bend over backwards for late console ports.

New N Tastey had three videos on Nintendo's Youtube btw, so what he's expecting in terms of promotion clearly superceeds just that.

So, you actually think that all these 3rd party developers who don't make games for Ninty systems are at wrong and not the fans who defend Ninty and disregard reports of the developers. I find it highly unlikely that so many of them are wrong and fans are wiser than all of them.

There may be many reasons for that. But the ones Lanning gave were at least ... not really thought through. He got as much advertisement for Oddworld as he got from other platform-holders: Youtube, social media, direct emails (which I got), promotion in the e-shop at the time of release. So I really don't know what he is talking about. The game didn't flew under my radar, I remember looking at it back in the time, but didn't get it because it is not my cup of tea. Lanning is just wrong about what he says. So, may there be other reasons why 3rd-parties abstain from Nintendo? Yes, and I mentioned some in the past - or recently. But neither spemanig nor any other denied that really. But Lannign is just wrong. Spemanig just pointed that out and you just assume he meant something completely different.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

onionberry said:
Chazore said:

That's the joke right?, please tell me you're being funny because that's what we get from Nintendo, that's what we got in the form of excuses from both the company and fans who turned "please understand" into a joke of a meme.

I aboslutely dislike that mentality from both sides tbh.

I'm not even talking about Nintendo, I'm talking about indie developers acting like victims. On nintendo platforms or any platform. What I get from this guy is that he blames Nintendo because his game is not that successful on nintendo consoles because he thinks that Nintendo HAS to advertise a late port of a niche indie game, boohoo the victim. Meanwhile the developers of shovel knight are extremely happy with Nintendo...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This thread can probably end now.

naruball said:
Mnementh said:

Obviously this doesn't count for the guy, because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38U9Wqy4GWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6h9KI_2O6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfpLmYiOFJI

That are Nintendo channels right there. So if you count Youtube, FB, you should compare to what the reality is, because obviously these videos didn't count as advertising for Lorne Lanning.

Not your intial point: ''Not unless it's a big indie title like Shovel Knight. New'n'Tastey is a late indie remake of a nearly 2 decades old game. I don't know what kind of promotion he was expecting''.

I never said such a thing. And actually Nintendo did advertise, that I showed you. So what is your problem? Nintendo advertises the indies as does Sony. Lanning expects obviously more effort from Nintendo than from Sony, that's why his rant. He measures the platform holders with different expectations.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Ljink96 said:
monocle_layton said:
This dude is being an ass.

The Switch isn't powerful. How the hell is that Nintendo's fault? It's a hybrid which is still powerful considering the fact that it's $300 and a slim 6.2 inch device. The comment about Iwata's death is tasteless too.

ikr! To insinuate that Nintendo killed Iwata...that's just a terribly worded thought. For developers who whine about Switch's power, they aren't going to succeed on the platform anyways. The ones that understand the Switch and its appeal and make new engaging experiences on the platform will succeed. Sure, it isn't the most powerful device on the market but find a device that's portable with the software that it has and you see that Switch is in a realm of its own.  

It'll be okay, I'm highly optimistic on the device, developers just have to adapt to what sells on Switch. Which is kind of a little much to ask for I can see, but if it gets to that point just don't support the platform. I'll stand by the idea that Japanese and Japanese styled games will sell best on Switch. Hell, the industry was basically built on Japanese software, to think that Switch can't sustain itself with Japanese software is insane. Of course you'll have games like Minecraft and Rocket League, etc. which have a wide appeal but on Nintendo certain games just don't sell. Oddworld seems to be on eof them.

His behaviour reminds me of those people irl who go into personal matters whenever they get pissed. Iwata had cancer, and seeing him say this when Iwata is the one who went through tough and good with Nintendo to the day of his death is just insensitive. 

This dude killed any chance of me ever supporting him. Maybe his game simply wasn't meant for the Wii U and didn't do well on it for a reason? Regardless of what it was, he is a terrible example of how you criticize a company. Nintendo didn't do well and made a lot of mistakes in gen 8. What can we do about it? They fixed their problems and now many indies are having a great time on Nintendo's train. They have directs showcasing all of the indies, the trailers get marketing by Youtube and eshop announcements, and sales for many of them have been good. This man is just running around in circles trying to justify shitty behaviour