By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - St. Louis will drop minimum wage from $10 to $7.70.

vivster said:
The government should support small business to stay open but some business are not meant to be. Higher minimum wage helps everyone.

I personally never earned minimum wage because I didnt go to those jobs. Most jobs already pay well above minimum.

High minimum evidently doesent help everyone. It helps some and kills some jobs.

This is an issue I'm torn on. I want to see adults making atleast $10, but it does kill jobs and cuts hours. While teens are struggling to find work because people want experience at a high minimum wage.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Let me be the first to say that to anyone who thinks increasing minimum wage will result in a net increase in jobs are only fooling themselves ... 

From the posts in this thread not a lot of people understand the idea of 'money'. These notes are only useful for one thing and it being a medium for exchanging as they are not backed up by anything other than our own trust in it. Having more notes doesn't actually make you 'richer' so to speak assuming the demand stays the same ... 

You can lower or increase the minimum wage but it won't change a dick about your relative purchasing power since expenses change relative to the wages. There's an easy solution to be able to raise the minimum wage to $15 for everyone and that's by printing out twice the amount of cash than what's currently available but I wonder how they'll feel once they figure out that their purchasing power remains the same ...

That's a red state for you. Feed the rich, bury the poor.

TallSilhouette said:
Any job worth hiring someone full time to do should be worth paying them a livable wage for. If not, the job should not exist (at least not FT). If a company can't afford to pay its core employees livable wages, that company does not deserve to be in business.

So by your logic, poor people should never start a business. Unless you're someone who already has large sums of money, chances are, you'll need a loan from a bank to start your business and since you're nobody, the bank will only be willing to loan you so much money. As a result, you would have to start off small and you would be unable to pay your employees a lot of money until the business took off. 

Going by your logic, the only people who deserve to be in business are rich people who can easily afford these wages. Going by your logic, the economy should be set up in a way where the rich people run all the businesses while all the poor people should only work to make the rich people even richer. 

I'm not sure if this is what you intended to say, but it sure sounds like it.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

I undertand that it's tougher for small businesses to stay afloat at those wages, but wouldn't giving people something closer to a living wage in the long run help to boost the economy and thus ultimately HELP small businesses? $10 an hour is already a very low wage and essentially ensures you'll either need to have a spouse or hold 2 or 3 jobs to earn a living at that amount. Especially with rising inflation, minimum wage should probably be RAISED if anything, not lowered.. Or am I looking at this too simply? 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

Let me be the first to say that to anyone who thinks increasing minimum wage will result in a net increase in jobs are only fooling themselves ... 

From the posts in this thread not a lot of people understand the idea of 'money'. These notes are only useful for one thing and it being a medium for exchanging as they are not backed up by anything other than our own trust in it. Having more notes doesn't actually make you 'richer' so to speak assuming the demand stays the same ... 

You can lower or increase the minimum wage but it won't change a dick about your relative purchasing power since expenses change relative to the wages. There's an easy solution to be able to raise the minimum wage to $15 for everyone and that's by printing out twice the amount of cash than what's currently available but I wonder how they'll feel once they figure out that their purchasing power remains the same ...

I live in a country with a $17.70 minimum wage.

People do generally have more "disposable income". And can afford to buy more. Or buy higher quality.

I don't even know how someone even survives on $10 an hour.

You need to take a look at countries that actually have a high minimum wage, what it means for their living standards and how it affects their economy. And in general, the examples all around the world is generally a positive one.

In Australia our mentality is very much a "You work to live" and in America it is "Live to work".

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Jon-Erich said:
TallSilhouette said:
Any job worth hiring someone full time to do should be worth paying them a livable wage for. If not, the job should not exist (at least not FT). If a company can't afford to pay its core employees livable wages, that company does not deserve to be in business.

So by your logic, poor people should never start a business. Unless you're someone who already has large sums of money, chances are, you'll need a loan from a bank to start your business and since you're nobody, the bank will only be willing to loan you so much money. As a result, you would have to start off small and you would be unable to pay your employees a lot of money until the business took off. 

Going by your logic, the only people who deserve to be in business are rich people who can easily afford these wages. Going by your logic, the economy should be set up in a way where the rich people run all the businesses while all the poor people should only work to make the rich people even richer. 

I'm not sure if this is what you intended to say, but it sure sounds like it.

Poor people should never run a business larger than they can afford to properly support. You can be a business of one. If you're starting out and can't afford full time employees with livable wages, do the work yourself and don't hire others until you can. If you can't get the proper loan yet but really need the extra hands, hire part timers and odd jobs to supplement, but not replace. If you really expect others to fully committ to getting your business off the ground without proper compensation, they deserve a percentage of the company. If you're unwilling to do any of those things, you don't deserve to be in business.

fatslob-:O said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xSVzdUNqo

But if bussiness were booming would he raise the wages? I haven't seen McDonald's doing that..

Haven't the minimum wage become less and less through the years, so basically employers are paying less than in the past? Still, even 10$ is way to small. At my job, the minimum we pay through collective bargain is the equivalent of 14$.