By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - St. Louis will drop minimum wage from $10 to $7.70.

OTBWY said:
outlawauron said:

We have lower taxes so our goods as well as the costs of living are far lower. 

Yet poverty and income inequality in America is very high.

Well, no. Poverty is very low, even with the raised amount for poverty. Surely you'd expect greater power distance in a country with ~320 million than the UK, right?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
numberwang said:

The top 20% of income earners pay 85% of all income tax, the lower 50% pay nearly no income tax at all.

Somehow the rich managed to survive just fine while getting taxed at a 90% rate under Eisenhower and before him.  I'm sure they are doing amazing at 39% now.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/15/bernie-s/income-tax-rates-were-90-percent-under-eisenhower-/

nobody paid the 90%, there was way more deductions and loopholes back then and the 90% tax rate would have been on money over inflation adjusted 3.5million dollars.  Taxes as percentage of GDP did not even go up.  Look at this chart and tell me where the 90% rate did anything.  

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/source-revenue-share-gdp

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

the_dark_lewd said:
If people can't make enough money to live off, help them through the government directly. Don't wreck businesses for that purpose. Let them pay whatever the hell they want.

If someone wants to offer $1 an hour for a job, let them. Almost no-one would bother applying for it.

You might be surprised how many people over here in germany are indeed working in so called "One-Euro(per hour)-jobs". Getting people to apply for such jobs is actually quite easy if only the punishment for not doing so is just harsh enough.

We actually have a so-called "minimum wage" (of 8,84 Euros), which in practice has nothing to do with being an actual minimum wage, since there are countless exceptions.

And we have quite a huge number of so-called "One-Euro-Jobs", jobs that are paid about one Euro per hour. Of course, no sane sovereign person would apply for such a job; it's basically just one of the countless measures by the government in order to falsify the official unemployment statistics: Unemployed people who have no chances on the real job market and who can only survive through social welfare payments are being forced into "offered" such "One-Euro-jobs", which are often complete bullshit jobs (like working in fake supermarkets with fake products). If they accept the job, they no longer count as being "unemployed" in the official statistics. If however they don't accept the job, their social welfare payments are being reduced by 30%, to a level that is significantly below what is being defined as the bare minimum for survival in Germany. That tactic works well, hundredthousands of germans are working in such jobs.

outlawauron said:
OTBWY said:

Yet poverty and income inequality in America is very high.

Well, no. Poverty is very low, even with the raised amount for poverty. Surely you'd expect greater power distance in a country with ~320 million than the UK, right?

How about we factor in poverty, child poverty, income inequality, healthcare, paid leave, vacations hours, work hours, welfare, employment rates, taxes, government debt, economic growth etc. The US is in a sad state for a country believed to be the greatest in the world and it can’t even pay grown working people a minimum of 15$ an hour or a normal decent salary. Not even mentioning the retarded gratuity system. lastly, the large population argument is nonsense, since you have separate states.

johnsobas said:
sethnintendo said:

Somehow the rich managed to survive just fine while getting taxed at a 90% rate under Eisenhower and before him.  I'm sure they are doing amazing at 39% now.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/15/bernie-s/income-tax-rates-were-90-percent-under-eisenhower-/

nobody paid the 90%, there was way more deductions and loopholes back then and the 90% tax rate would have been on money over inflation adjusted 3.5million dollars.  Taxes as percentage of GDP did not even go up.  Look at this chart and tell me where the 90% rate did anything.  

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statistics/source-revenue-share-gdp

The only thing I can deduce from that is the responisbility is being shifted more on the individual than the corporations with the trend starting right after WW2.

Around the Network

I assume people without high school degrees or even college degrees will be crowded out of cities with high min wage? Who will hire someone without a degree for 15$/h?

OTBWY said:
outlawauron said:

How about we factor in poverty, child poverty, income inequality, healthcare, paid leave, vacations hours, work hours, welfare, employment rates, taxes, government debt, economic growth etc. The US is in a sad state for a country believed to be the greatest in the world and it can’t even pay grown working people a minimum of 15$ an hour or a normal decent salary. Not even mentioning the retarded gratuity system. lastly, the large population argument is nonsense, since you have separate states.

Why does having a large population not matter because you have separate states? And if you consider states at all, why bother breaking down things on the bolded level, because every state is different from the next (not mention that employment rates, taxes, and economic growth are inarguably in favor of the US).

The minimum wage jobs designated for grown working people weren't never meant to be full time employment for them. Even if you want to zero in on <2% of the workforce (with more than half this group being teenagers and 64% of all are part time), you have to factor that minimum wage varies not only by state, but also by city! Increasing minimum wage to $15 federally would be one of the most incredibly stupid things to do. It would destroy so many of the already poor states and pretty much destroy the service industry (as it already has in places where $15 is the norm).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I wish I make $7 dollars an hour

I know... my English sucks.

atomicblue said:
Some people in here are saying it would hurt business owners to keep the minimum wage higher, but owning a business isn't a right, it's a privilege. If the only way you can own a business is by underpaying employees, then you're not doing a very good job and it might be time to consider something else.

So its the goverments job to determine what underpayment is?