By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
p0isonparadise said:
I am disgusted! I just happened to look at the top sellers on the eshop and discovered NBA2K18 was at #5.

Disgusted because you want it higher or lower? I'm hoping you wanted it higher.

From what i've seen it appears to be a good port. Was it released same day? Also we want 3rd parties to do good on the system. Whether you like the game or not, 3rd parties doing good means more 3rd parties look at the switch and they will also put more effort into future releases.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
p0isonparadise said:
I am disgusted! I just happened to look at the top sellers on the eshop and discovered NBA2K18 was at #5.

Disgusted because you want it higher or lower? I'm hoping you wanted it higher.

I want it so low that it falls off the Switch. 

irstupid said:
curl-6 said:

Yep, it's been confirmed since E3 that collecting a power moon doesn't kick you out of the world. It's more like Banjo Kazooie where you collect a Jiggy then keep playing.

Kind of mixed feelings on that. I kind of liked the getting kicked out and the whole world being slightly different depending on the star you were trying to achieve.

1. The world being slightly different is nice and neat, and adds variety to the world.

2. The getting kicked out makes you feel like you accomplished something and your job is over. Good for a "handheld" type play that the switch can offer. You know, boot up the game, grab a moon during lunch and call it a day. Getting kicked out gives one kind of a mission accomplished, ending point. Without it, one can feel like they need to keep playing.

I prefer it this way, I think it works better with the game's open-ended world design that you get a moon then go on exploring seamlessly. The alternatve would be getting booted back to the Odyssey itself at its landing spot, which would be kind of pointless in my opinion.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I prefer it this way, I think it works better with the game's open-ended world design that you get a moon then go on exploring seamlessly. The alternatve would be getting booted back to the Odyssey itself at its landing spot, which would be kind of pointless in my opinion.

You are absolutely correct, curl.

Switch can go into sleep mode, so irstupid's second point is moot.

Sleep mode does not refute my point. My point is losing the sense of completing something.

I'm sure you guys have played SM64. Just think on that game. You go into painting and select a star to go for. Enter level, 5-10 minutes later you get the star and get mission accomplished or whatever screen and booted out of world. You completed something. You finished it. You can then put your Switch in SLEEP mode and go back to work, school, whatever. Your break is over and you accomplished something.

Now lets imagine the game as I see it now. You are exploring this big open world and in like 5-10 minutes you solve some puzzle and get a moon, but then also see something just off in the distance that looks intersting, or looks like a possible moon to grab. Yet you have to go back to work/class now. You are now left with this sense of having to have left something undone. No clean break/finish to your break.

It's like playing breath of the wild for a quick break. Sure you may find a Kurok seed or two, or beat a shrine, ect, but the game never lets you feel like you can just put it down. There is always something just off in the distance that you want to check out quick.

I love Breath of the Wild and super excited to have an open world Mario, just explaining why, ESPECIALLY with the portability factor, I will somewhat miss the old style of 3D mario games.

irstupid said:
RolStoppable said:

Sleep mode does not refute my point. My point is losing the sense of completing something.

I'm sure you guys have played SM64. Just think on that game. You go into painting and select a star to go for. Enter level, 5-10 minutes later you get the star and get mission accomplished or whatever screen and booted out of world. You completed something. You finished it. You can then put your Switch in SLEEP mode and go back to work, school, whatever. Your break is over and you accomplished something.

Now lets imagine the game as I see it now. You are exploring this big open world and in like 5-10 minutes you solve some puzzle and get a moon, but then also see something just off in the distance that looks intersting, or looks like a possible moon to grab. Yet you have to go back to work/class now. You are now left with this sense of having to have left something undone. No clean break/finish to your break.

It's like playing breath of the wild for a quick break. Sure you may find a Kurok seed or two, or beat a shrine, ect, but the game never lets you feel like you can just put it down. There is always something just off in the distance that you want to check out quick.

I love Breath of the Wild and super excited to have an open world Mario, just explaining why, ESPECIALLY with the portability factor, I will somewhat miss the old style of 3D mario games.

I don't need to be booted from the world to feel a sense of accomplishment at getting a Moon and turn the system off with a sense of having completed the task at hand.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
irstupid said:

I don't need to be booted from the world to feel a sense of accomplishment at getting a Moon and turn the system off with a sense of having completed the task at hand.

You are missing what I mean by accomplishment. I'm talking the sense of like what people always refer to as "it's a good mobile type game"

You know like your sudoku, your captain toad treasure tracker, angry birds, ect. Stuff that you can pick up, do a quick level and you finish it and your done. THe next time you pick it up, you select the next level and not have to be like "okay, where was I. Where was I going" ect. It's like finishing a chapter in a book or something. A good stopping point. YOu dont' want to stop in the middle a chapter, or halfway through a sudoku page. Yes there are hundreds of further sudoku pages after that one, or hundreds of chapters after that one, but still finishing on it makes one feel better when they have to set the thing down. It's a good stopping point. That is what I mean by a accomplishment. It's not like I feel like i'm getting a stupid ass ps trophy or something. I'm getting the satisfaction of not feeling like i'm putting the book down in the middle of a chapter.

irstupid said:
curl-6 said:

You are missing what I mean by accomplishment. I'm talking the sense of like what people always refer to as "it's a good mobile type game"

You know like your sudoku, your captain toad treasure tracker, angry birds, ect. Stuff that you can pick up, do a quick level and you finish it and your done. THe next time you pick it up, you select the next level and not have to be like "okay, where was I. Where was I going" ect. It's like finishing a chapter in a book or something. A good stopping point. YOu dont' want to stop in the middle a chapter, or halfway through a sudoku page. Yes there are hundreds of further sudoku pages after that one, or hundreds of chapters after that one, but still finishing on it makes one feel better when they have to set the thing down. It's a good stopping point. That is what I mean by a accomplishment. It's not like I feel like i'm getting a stupid ass ps trophy or something. I'm getting the satisfaction of not feeling like i'm putting the book down in the middle of a chapter.

Getting a Moon seems a perfectly good stopping point to me. When I got a Jiggy in Banjo Kazooie for instance that gave me a sense of accomplishment and having completed a section without booting me back to the overworld.

Kunio-kun: The World Classics Collection coming to Switch:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/290651-kunio-kun-the-world-classics-collection-coming-to-switch

Yay! I can finally replay that awesome soccer game from the NES era!

irstupid said:
RolStoppable said:

I do understand from where you are comming from.But even then, things change.I do think that, for the long run, this approach will be better, because it will make the exploration feel more fluid.And there is the Grand Moons, which are more like the stars in Mario 64.Dont know if they boot you back to the Oddyssey, but it seems that they are going for the same feeling.

And its not like in 64 the game didnt leave you with wanting to explore more.In the first 2 stars of the painting, there was always that place that you wanted to go but it wasnt there that your objective was.I mean, it happened in a much lesser extent than what is going for in Oddyssey, but it was there.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

http://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-trying-to-get-the-main-final-fantasy-xv-on-switch-talking-with-nintendo-and-epic/