By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any Nintendo fans with ill will for Sony?

Well the only bias I specifically have AGAINST sony is them having a few key third party titles like persona and kingdom hearts cause thats literally the only thing that intrests me fron thier side.

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
shoichi said:

It didn't quite play out this way.

Condensed...

• Sony's Kutaragi seen daughter play on the Famicom and got interested. 
  • Kutaragi developed in secrecy the audio system for the SNES that Sony execs didn't approve of when they found out, due to disinterest in the video game industry.
  • Kutaragi ended up convincing them to continue on the project
  • Nintendo and Sony then created a partnership for a CD-based addon that would play both SNES and SNES-CD Roms, that would be sold by Sony.
  • The contract between the two was that Sony would be the licensee and have pretty much complete control over the SNES-CD format, which worried Nintendo.
  • Nintendo then cancels out of the agreement with Sony and then goes to Phillips for a CD-Rom addon that would have Nintendo in more control, which flopped hard.
  • Sony and Kutaragi continue working on the project which then becomes the Play Station.

Something misssing in your post.  SEGA of America Tom Kalinskie proposed to Sony they work together on a console and sent them a spec sheet. SEGA of Japan hated the idea. Talks ended. Sony used the specs Tom proposed for PS1. Sega of Japan made the Saturn..a system that technically was a beast but insanely hard to program for. Nintendo also went cartridges with N64. If N64 used CD's who knows where PS1 would be.

Kalinskie is the greatest marketing genius of the 20's century... hands down.

Cloudman said:
I think I made a few jokes about the name, but I never really had any bitter feelings about it. Heck, I didn't even know about the console wars between Nintendo and Sega/Sony. I was just a kid who loved to play games and didn't think much on it. I had both a Genesis and Super Nintendo. I got a PS2 because I wanted games on that system, and it continued on like that for awhile.

What I do find bothersome though is its fanbase. It was its fans that kinda brought that dark side of gaming for me. I had a friend in college who loved playstation, and liked to tell me how their games were great and how Sony was better than Nintendo. Boy, was that annoying, and I've met other Sony fans that try to push how great Playstation is as well as their games are, while berating the games I liked.

Boy, I hated it, and it still jades my view on the majority of its fanbase.

Do you ever just sit back from all the fan-ism stuff and think "what the hell is wrong with people?" Like, can you believe people actually get this crazy over a plastic game system? It's just mind-numbing lol

SegataSanshiro said:
shoichi said:

It didn't quite play out this way.

Condensed...

• Sony's Kutaragi seen daughter play on the Famicom and got interested. 
  • Kutaragi developed in secrecy the audio system for the SNES that Sony execs didn't approve of when they found out, due to disinterest in the video game industry.
  • Kutaragi ended up convincing them to continue on the project
  • Nintendo and Sony then created a partnership for a CD-based addon that would play both SNES and SNES-CD Roms, that would be sold by Sony.
  • The contract between the two was that Sony would be the licensee and have pretty much complete control over the SNES-CD format, which worried Nintendo.
  • Nintendo then cancels out of the agreement with Sony and then goes to Phillips for a CD-Rom addon that would have Nintendo in more control, which flopped hard.
  • Sony and Kutaragi continue working on the project which then becomes the Play Station.

Something misssing in your post.  SEGA of America Tom Kalinskie proposed to Sony they work together on a console and sent them a spec sheet. SEGA of Japan hated the idea. Talks ended. Sony used the specs Tom proposed for PS1. Sega of Japan made the Saturn..a system that technically was a beast but insanely hard to program for. Nintendo also went cartridges with N64. If N64 used CD's who knows where PS1 would be.

I'm thinking the people in Sony's PS R&D already had a clear vision for what they wanted and that Tom Kalinski and a spec sheet he jotted out had nothing to do with the PSX specs. I have certainly never heard that prior to your post, and can't find anything to verify it. Can you point me towards a source? Also, another of the issues with the Saturn hardware was that it was a 2D, sprite graphics beast. It's 3D polygonal capabilities weren't as good as the PS1, which was just as big of an issue as it's complicated architecture. Aside from the inexplicably poor port of SOTN, it was always better at 2D. No doubt.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

AlfredoTurkey said:
Cloudman said:
I think I made a few jokes about the name, but I never really had any bitter feelings about it. Heck, I didn't even know about the console wars between Nintendo and Sega/Sony. I was just a kid who loved to play games and didn't think much on it. I had both a Genesis and Super Nintendo. I got a PS2 because I wanted games on that system, and it continued on like that for awhile.

What I do find bothersome though is its fanbase. It was its fans that kinda brought that dark side of gaming for me. I had a friend in college who loved playstation, and liked to tell me how their games were great and how Sony was better than Nintendo. Boy, was that annoying, and I've met other Sony fans that try to push how great Playstation is as well as their games are, while berating the games I liked.

Boy, I hated it, and it still jades my view on the majority of its fanbase.

Do you ever just sit back from all the fan-ism stuff and think "what the hell is wrong with people?" Like, can you believe people actually get this crazy over a plastic game system? It's just mind-numbing lol

More or less yeah. Sometimes I can't help but wonder why there is so much fighting over something as fun and relaxing as video games.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

My first system was the Atari 7800, which also played Atari 2600 games. But, after the NES, I became a big Nintendo fan. Stuck with them during the following gen, too. Though, near the end, we did get a 2nd hand Genesis. The next gen, I wanted to get a N64 and scoffed at the PS1. Eventually, however, I got to try a PS1 at a friend's house. The second I got my hands on that controller and played a few of its games, with FMV cutscenes, I was sold. Been a PS fan ever since.

zygote said:

I like the games, but the company not as much. They have had some horrible PR in the past, have blatantly ripped from Nintendo's successes, and made industry moves specifically to destroy Nintendo. MS, on the other hand, has wanted to acquire Nintendo in the past and has maintained a much friendlier and healthier relationship with them, especially for the industry. MS has other problems though, but I at least respect how they have handle Nintendo and vice versa.

Having said all that, Sony has been much much better this generation in how they approach their competition and what they offer their customers, and I think consumers and others in the industry have taken notice.

Until about a week ago, when Sony shat on everyone over crossplatform play, particularly with Rocket League. Sony is being thick brained and arseholes about crossplatform play, at least for 3rd party games. I can understand with Minecraft being a MS game and MS demanding that all players get XBL accounts regardless of platform. But Rocket League? Come one, one global online community would be briliant for the game. And we know it can be done with not all that much effort.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

COKTOE said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I'm thinking the people in Sony's PS R&D already had a clear vision for what they wanted and that Tom Kalinski and a spec sheet he jotted out had nothing to do with the PSX specs. I have certainly never heard that prior to your post, and can't find anything to verify it. Can you point me towards a source? Also, another of the issues with the Saturn hardware was that it was a 2D, sprite graphics beast. It's 3D polygonal capabilities weren't as good as the PS1, which was just as big of an issue as it's complicated architecture. Aside from the inexplicably poor port of SOTN, it was always better at 2D. No doubt.

Tom did in a interview online a few years back. Can't remember if it was SEGA Nerds or something else. He's done a few long interviews over the past few years on Youtube so you can look for it there.

SegataSanshiro said:
COKTOE said:

Tom did in a interview online a few years back. Can't remember if it was SEGA Nerds or something else. He's done a few long interviews over the past few years on Youtube so you can look for it there.

Ok thanks. I'll poke around a bit. Read a few articles and couldn't find anything.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

The industry needs Sony for balancing reasons, as well as it needs Microsoft and Nintendo. They are like FFVI's Warring Triad.

Personally, I don't care about Sony or MS. But I wish them success.