By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any Nintendo fans with ill will for Sony?

No. I have a PS2, a PS4, and my sibling uses the Vita. Even if I don't have any Sony consoles, I wouldn't have cared about what really went down with Nintendo and Sony. Whatever happened between them happened and it doesn't matter now. I like some of Sony's offerings, but Nintendo hasn't let me down throughout the years I've played games. Sure they've had ups and downs, but when they put it all out there, their magic in games are incredible.

Around the Network

No, because I am not immature/a 5 year-old. 

Hi

shoichi said:
Kerotan said:

Never knew this. Fair play to sony for satying fuck them and just going onto dominate the market. 

It didn't quite play out this way.

Condensed...

• Sony's Kutaragi seen daughter play on the Famicom and got interested. 
  • Kutaragi developed in secrecy the audio system for the SNES that Sony execs didn't approve of when they found out, due to disinterest in the video game industry.
  • Kutaragi ended up convincing them to continue on the project
  • Nintendo and Sony then created a partnership for a CD-based addon that would play both SNES and SNES-CD Roms, that would be sold by Sony.
  • The contract between the two was that Sony would be the licensee and have pretty much complete control over the SNES-CD format, which worried Nintendo.
  • Nintendo then cancels out of the agreement with Sony and then goes to Phillips for a CD-Rom addon that would have Nintendo in more control, which flopped hard.
  • Sony and Kutaragi continue working on the project which then becomes the Play Station.

Something misssing in your post.  SEGA of America Tom Kalinskie proposed to Sony they work together on a console and sent them a spec sheet. SEGA of Japan hated the idea. Talks ended. Sony used the specs Tom proposed for PS1. Sega of Japan made the Saturn..a system that technically was a beast but insanely hard to program for. Nintendo also went cartridges with N64. If N64 used CD's who knows where PS1 would be.

shoichi said:
Kerotan said:

Never knew this. Fair play to sony for satying fuck them and just going onto dominate the market. 

Condensed...

• Kutaragi developed in secrecy the audio system for the SNES that Sony execs didn't approve of when they found out, due to disinterest in the video game industry.
  • Nintendo and Sony then created a partnership for a CD-based addon that would play both SNES and SNES-CD Roms, that would be sold by Sony.
  • The contract between the two was that Sony would be the licensee and have pretty much complete control over the SNES-CD format, which worried Nintendo.
  • Nintendo then cancels out of the agreement with Sony and then goes to Phillips for a CD-Rom addon that would have Nintendo in more control, which flopped hard.
  • Sony and Kutaragi continue working on the project which then becomes the Play Station.

This was probably key as Nintendo wants to maintain control on how to format, especially when it comes to their IPs. If you think they're stingy when it comes to allowing fan-made games or allow YouTube creators to make money off of videos based on their content, then imagine them having to deal with Sony gaining the licenses and formats of the SNES-CD, thus have a large amount of software licensing. So it limits Nintendo's control for their IPs, which is a definite no-no to them. They want control or the ability to oversee anything in regards to their IPs.

Around the Network
shoichi said:
Kerotan said:

Condensed...

• Nintendo and Sony later then created a partnership for a CD-based addon that would play both SNES and SNES-CD Roms, that would be sold by Sony.

They walked out of them before they revealed the product at ces. Where is this in your condensed version?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
shoichi said:

Condensed...

• Nintendo and Sony later then created a partnership for a CD-based addon that would play both SNES and SNES-CD Roms, that would be sold by Sony.

They walked out of them before they revealed the product at ces. Where is this in your condensed version?

Why does that matter? As I said it was just a condensed version. Nintendo did wrong by breaking a contract, but it ended up creating competition for the industry to move it forward. 

And I didn't correct you about the fact Kutaragi was at odds over working in secret on the audio chip in the SNES and would/could have been fired over that. If it wasn't for Kutaragi convincing Sony execs to continue the project, Sony and Playstation may have never had a deal with the CD-ROM addon later down the line. The reason Play Station exists in large part is due to Kutaragi.

shoichi said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Why does that matter? As I said it was just a condensed version. Nintendo did wrong by breaking a contract, but it ended up creating competition for the industry to move it forward. 

And I didn't correct you about the fact Kutaragi was at odds over working in secret on the audio chip in the SNES and would/could have been fired over that. If it wasn't for Kutaragi convincing Sony execs to continue the project, Sony and Playstation may have never had a deal with the CD-ROM addon later down the line. The reason Play Station exists in large part is due to Kutaragi.

Agreed. Kutaragi is the king. Sony owes kutaragi everything right now.

naruball said:
zippy said:
I'm a Nintendo fan that also likes Sony. I have a PS4 and think it's superb. However I will admit to disliking a minority of their fanbase, they act a bit high and mighty and saint Sony can do no wrong. I really did like seeing them squirm when the Wii was obliterating all in its path as I'm sure they have enjoyed Nintendo fans suffering in the Wii U years. All in all I think the industry is at its best when Nintendo and Sony both thrive like they are doing at present with Switch and PS4.

Out of curiosity, don't you think that's the case with any fanbase? There are always those who are embarassingly bad when it comes to the company their favourite company is in direct competition with (couldn't have phrased it worse, but alas).

I would even name users if this was a private conversation. I think it's confirmation bias when you only see it from a certain company.

Oh definitely, some Nintendo fans make me cringe. It's just that I see more negative behaviour toward other fanbases from a minority of the Sony crowd. 

I'm a Nintendo fan and do not like Sony.

I dislike Sony's gaming division because I sold my PS4 (I've since bought another to play Bloodborne, Uncharted and Horizon) and didn't realise that the PSN membership auto renewed. I called them and the guy just refused to refund me (it had been like 2 days in before I checked my statement). He wasn't very helpful at all and said I couldn't speak to anybody else and the decision was final. Even though I had no way of using the membership.

That left a bad taste in my mouth, but as for the games:

They seem to focus more on story than gameplay, so their games usually end up worse for a gamer like me. Sometimes they nail both (Uncharted 2, TLOU etc) but usually they seem to focus on the wrong stuff, causing the replayability of their games to suffer.

The fact that gamers seem to love this stuff (story over gameplay) bothers me simply because it's not the direction I want the games industry to take. Games have a really hard time telling a good story and mostly fail. The gameplay is where games differentiate themselves. Sony don't seem to care about this.

I like their TVs and other products though.