By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any Nintendo fans with ill will for Sony?

SegataSanshiro said:

Some people think I don't like Sony. So I will be clear. PSP/PSVita are my fave handhelds ever. PS3 is my fave system last gen. PS4 is shaping up to be in my top 5 systems period.PS1 and PS2 while I own them and many games for them I have no attachment to that hardware. Just meh to me. I'd Dreamcast and Saturn to them. I am not a big fan of their first party games however.

Hm. You never came off as anti-PS to me.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Fuck Sony and their fanboys. They should've commited seppuku when they were losing money on the PS3. But they didn't do that, that was very unjapanese of them.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

I used to hold a grudge against Sony for my launch PS1 that led to overheating problems a little after warranty ran out. They did reduce the price after complaining which I believe ended up being $75 for a new system. However, I most of my dislike for a manufacture switched to Microsoft. I'd rather see Sega.

I personally hate Nintendo, but love their games. I am not fond of Sony as I feel they get very arrogant, but I love their consoles. Ultimately if another company were to come around and do what the two of them do, but better I'd go over there. It comes down to money for me, not company loyalty. Company loyalty is nice, but I don't care for it. I PERSONALLY have bitterness towards NIntendo however for their treatment of third parties.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Competition breeds good things for the consumer, the Nintendo and Sony fall out created the Playstation brand and it created a rival that Sony needed because Sega's main rival at the time was Sega shooting themselves in the foot... and then wedging a horrible add-on into the wound which required its own psu!

Not a single gamer should be upset at the formation of the Playstation brand, if you love Sony and you enjoy the brand then great for you, it exists so you can love it, if you like MS and Nintendo then great, the reason those companies right now are working hard to do good by their customers is because Sony absolutely destroyed both of them with the PS1/2 and to a lesser extent the PS3 then again now with the PS4, other companies are doing their best for their customer because if you want to stop playing on Nintendo and MS machines.... Playstation have a system for you to enjoy.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Soundwave said:

If you're talking specifically about the situation of the 1990s ... no, not really. Nintendo kinda boned Sony there if I'm being honest. Hard to be mad at Sony.

I am upset at Nintendo for being stupid and basically pissing away the console market though. There were multiple things they could have done in the 90s to stomp out the Playstation or just have let Sony release the stupid SNES CD-ROM, let it flop, and move on with things. Nintendo always used to release weird add-ons primarily for the Japanese market anyway (Famicom Disk Drive, Super Famicom Satelview BSX ... what's one more thing).

Exactly. Nintnedo walked out on Sony when Sony could've easily walked out on them in the beginning. They were using kutaragi behind sonys back and they could've fired kutaragi and cut the deal with nintnedo but decided to co-exist with nintnedo. They actually were going to fire kutaragi in the beginning too until the president saved his ass.

Never knew this. Fair play to sony for satying fuck them and just going onto dominate the market. 

monocle_layton said:
I don't hate Sony. I don't hate Nintendo for their decisions either. We wouldn't have the games we love today if they merged. Well, maybe they would've been made; you never know.

Nintendo confuses me though. They're great, and yet make some of the most irritating decisions. If they were concerned about the Nintendo Playstation failing, why couldn't they simply test it out and then move on if their relationship went rough?

Oh well. Nowadays, Nintendo and Sony basically have iron fists over the gaming industry for their respective fields (handhelds and consoles). Would they gain anything from cooperating now? Maybe, maybe not.

Well said. Nintendo dominating the handheld/hybrid scene and sony domianting the home consoles market. With a very healthy pc market to boot. The market worked out for the better. 

Miyamotoo said:
I find this thread is odd, that was in 90" its not like that happened just now with PS4 and then some Nintendo fans are bitter. Also from some reason people trying hard to forget that last gen Nintendo dominated gaming and actually had best generation ever in history of gaming.

I am glad that Sony is doing well, but I am not so glad that PS4 dominating currently market so much and that XB1 is not doing better, because strong competition is always better that domination of one console.

Talking about bitter, I will always be bitter because Sega was forced to left hardware console market, Sega was good and very own, it was pretty different compared to Nintendo, Sony also was (and still is) different compared to Nintendo, but MS is to similar to Sony.

Last gen was 3ds and wii u. You mean 2 gens ago nintendo domoinated!

AlfredoTurkey said:
LethalP said:

We've all heard the story of the Nintendo and Sony dispute in the 90's, and of course how Sony went on to take most of the marketshare and Nintendo's dominance away from them. Are there any Nintendo fans that feel a little bitter about that? Not hate or anything (although you might?) but I was always curious about it.

I like both Nintendo and Playstation, one for their first party and the other for the overall library. So I'm glad Sony are here and are basically keeping the AAA gaming industry afloat. What about you?

Sega is the company that took Nintendo down, not Sony. By the time PS1 came out and started doing well, Nintendo's image and marketshare were severly damaged. All Sony did was take Sega's blue print (kiddy=bad, adult=good, mock Nintendo every chance you can get via ads etc.) and run with it. So if people are bitter they should take out their bitterness on Sega, not Sony.

Thanks Sega for making the PS4 so awesome and for selling so good WW! My new fav company :)

LethalP said:

Yeah Nintendo as a company is annoying as fuck. They made a lot of bad desicions, they just happen to have mad good developers working for them.

Yeah, Miyamoto in the 1980's was a jackpot employment decision. They wouldn't be where they are now if it weren't for his creations early on when they entered the market. IMO Nintendo made good hardware up until the SNES where afterwards they went downhill with the CD/cartridge debacle and failed to rectify it by having a CEO change after the release of the Gamecube (Iwata) who valued innovation over hardware that satisfied third party developers.

Proof:

"We're not thinking about fighting Sony, but about how many people we can get to play games. The thing we're thinking about most is not portable systems, consoles, and so forth, but that we want to get new people playing games." - Iwata 2006. After the E3 2004 conference that bashed Sony for the PSP memory cards, compared GBA growth figures to the PS2, (which was absolutely shameful, they were lucky that the PSP hasn't surpassed the GBA, but the PS2 certainly did) and also took some shots at Microsoft.

Indirectly over the course of 5 generations (including Switch) they have tailored their fanbase to buy their games primarily, rather than third party developers (shit port/butchered version > poor sales, you get the deal).

The Switch is a very nice handheld though. The best piece of hardware they released since the Gameboy Advance.

Ka-pi96 said:
Oh... I can think of a few

There have been lots but most of them are perma banned. What's left on vgchartz are mostly a decent bunch of nintendo fans as this thread is showing. Obviously some of the haters will steer clear and not admit it. 

There are also those who were nintendo fans in he past and started hating sony then but they play on different platforms now like pc or xbox. So technically nitendo fans but not primarily anymore. 

Kerotan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. Nintnedo walked out on Sony when Sony could've easily walked out on them in the beginning. They were using kutaragi behind sonys back and they could've fired kutaragi and cut the deal with nintnedo but decided to co-exist with nintnedo. They actually were going to fire kutaragi in the beginning too until the president saved his ass.

Never knew this. Fair play to sony for satying fuck them and just going onto dominate the market. 

It didn't quite play out this way.

Condensed...

• Sony's Kutaragi seen daughter play on the Famicom and got interested. 
  • Kutaragi developed in secrecy the audio system for the SNES that Sony execs didn't approve of when they found out, due to disinterest in the video game industry.
  • Kutaragi ended up convincing them to continue on the project
  • Nintendo and Sony later then created a partnership for a CD-based addon that would play both SNES and SNES-CD Roms, that would be sold by Sony.
  • The contract between the two was that Sony would be the licensee and have pretty much complete control over the SNES-CD format, which worried Nintendo.
  • Nintendo then cancels out of the agreement with Sony and then goes to Phillips for a CD-Rom addon that would have Nintendo in more control, which flopped hard.
  • Sony and Kutaragi continue working on the project which then becomes the Play Station.

Nope. I loved PSX, but since PS2 Sony hasn't made any consoles that have really appealed to me. So I generally ignore them. Especially PS4.

I'm more of a handheld gamer and I also like motion type games, so Switch is the sort of console I love. I mostly post negative things about GameCube because I generally talk about Nintendo stuff with other Nintendo fans, and I really didn't like GameCube :P

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.