By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Spider-Man: Homecoming Reviews - 72 Metacritic - 92% RottenTomatoes

Kind of a significant difference in rotten vs. meta scores. Someone 'splain it to me?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Dulfite said:
Kind of a significant difference in rotten vs. meta scores. Someone 'splain it to me?

Rotten Tomatoes' percent is the percentage of good reviews vs. bad reviews I think, so it doesn't correlate with Metacritic. You have to look at the Average Rating on Rotten Tomatoes to compare to Metacritic, which is 77 vs 72. 

Ah, so it's not a great movie? I may pass on it then. I found the amazing movies boring. I want Toby McGuire back!!! He's the real spiderman.

Dulfite said:

Rotten Tomates just goes Fresh/Rotten.

I believe its like 60/100, 60%, 6/10 wahtever is considered FRESH.

So a reviewer gives a movie a 6/10, on Rotten tomatoes that means fresh, or 100% basically. On metascore it means 60%

If a reviewer gives a movie a 5/10, on Rotten Tomatoes that means rotten or 0%. On metascroe it means 50%

RT is a all or nothing kind of thing. Just look at it as a "what percent of movie goers liked the movie" Not how much they liked it, just liked it. I usually am more excited for amovie if it gets less than 50% score. Polarizing movies are the best. They take risks. They can be what I consider fresh. The movies that get 80-100% on RT are safe. They follow a formula and try to appeal to everyone.

Now sure watching that 50% or less score movie, I may be on the side that hates the movie, but i may also be on the side that found itself a new gem.

shikamaru317 said:
irstupid said:
I don't trust that rating. Marvel movies (yes I know its Sony) are getting to the point of like a long running anime or tv series.

You are just so invested in the characters and the world that you are ignoring how bland the story has actually become. Everyone talks about how Marvel perfected the comic book recipe and makes billions all the time, but to me that perfecting the recipe just means they have become repetitive, predictable, stale, ect. Basically the last like dozen marvel movies all are just one big blur. Nothing really stands out.

I have to agree with you there. Sure they make money, but for me at least they've been pretty bland ever since the first Avengers movie. Not only that, but the MCU has become a great big twisted mess, I can't even follow the overarcing narrative most of the time. Admittedly I've skipped some movies because they seemed meh, but still, you shouldn't need to see movies in another series entirely to know what's going on within a single series. I really don't see why they feel the need to have this great big connected universe. Some of these Spiderman Homecoming tv spots I've been seeing lately just about have more Iron Man and Captain America scenes in them than Spiderman. I don't see why they feel they need to shoehorn them into this movie. Raimi Spiderman will always be the best Spiderman to me. I know the comic purists might hate me for having that opinion since the Raimi movies didn't follow the comics that closely, but I don't really care. 

I agree with you about the overall blandness, but how is the overarcing narrative hard to follow? lol

It's like nonexistant. Just the occassional "oh btw guys, infinity war is a thing that's eventually happening!"

shikamaru317 said:
Dulfite said:

Ah, so it's not a great movie? I may pass on it then. I found the amazing movies boring. I want Toby McGuire back!!! He's the real spiderman.

77/72 is decent for a movie since movie critics use the full rating scale unlike game critics, but yeah, it's not a great score for sure.

I agree, Tobey will always be the best Spider-man. It still annoys me that Sony got Spiderman 4 cancelled by not giving Raimi more time to come up with a good movie, instead thery tried to rush him and he ended up quitting because he didn't want another Spiderman 3 situation.

But what caused Spiderman 3's mess?

Who's idea was it for the horrible Venom casting and the fact that Venom brought too many villains for the movie's storyline? The movie would have been pretty good if it didn't have venom in it. Sandman was a good enough backdrop story (misunderstood villain) while they could have fully fleshed out better the Peter/Harry fallout storyline.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

I agree with you about the overall blandness, but how is the overarcing narrative hard to follow? lol

It's like nonexistant. Just the occassional "oh btw guys, infinity war is a thing that's eventually happening!"

It's probably just because I've skipped some movies. It doesn't help that most of the recent Marvel movies haven't been memorable at all, so I remember very little of the movies I have seen. 

The only thing skipping a movie in the marvel universe does is you miss someones origin. Hardly important.

Most every marvel movie is a standalone. Their connectedness is usually some end credit scene

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

It's probably just because I've skipped some movies. It doesn't help that most of the recent Marvel movies haven't been memorable at all, so I remember very little of the movies I have seen. 

I feel like Marvel has done a better job on the tv shows than the movies, or at least on the Netflix ones. I had some issues with Iron Fist and Luke Cage, but still the tv shows have been much better than the movies for me.

I suspect that's because Netflix has more creative control there than Marvel allows people elsewhere

Dulfite said:
shikamaru317 said:

Rotten Tomatoes' percent is the percentage of good reviews vs. bad reviews I think, so it doesn't correlate with Metacritic. You have to look at the Average Rating on Rotten Tomatoes to compare to Metacritic, which is 77 vs 72. 

It is based on that score. Wonder Woman is a 75 on Rottentomatoes(92% fresh) and a 76 on Metacritic. Another example, Zootopia is a 78 on metacritic, and an 81 on RT(98% fresh). Movie critics are harsher in scoring compared to others so movie scores are usually lower in average so a 7 for a movie isn't exactly the same as a 7 in games. A critic would say a movie is great and score it a 7.

It looks terrible. This is just the usual Disney treated critics to press passes etc to boost scores. Paramount used to do it too. One of the perks of the Co disney franchise I guess as Sony alone would never have accomplished this. The movie looks awful to me.

JRPGfan said:
Nuvendil said:
And so the cycle begins again. I wonder how many movies the franchise will go this time before they screw it up. :P

Another 1-2.... then another reboot.

Because who doesnt want to watch a origins story for spiderman for the 6th time or something like that?

I feel burnt out on all these super hero movies.

I never knew he was bitten by a radio active spider... please movie, show me again how this happened? Please buff out your run time with 20 mins of him crying into a box of

But wait... what's that?

Another Batman film is coming out?

Jesus guys, do you think we will finally know what happened to Bruce waynes parents??????? ARE THEY ALIVE?

On topic though : I really want to see what marvel does with this... hopefully it's decent but fuck it... if it's the same old shite again I'm not going to hold it too much against marvel, they recently created Guardians 2 which is probably one of the best pieces of film I've ever seen... multiple times in the cinema. so I will happily give them the benefit that they wont fuck this up.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive