By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Much Would You Pay For a Netflix-Style Gaming Service?

How Much Would You Pay For Unlimited Game Streaming?

See Results 6 5.66%

$20/month 15 14.15%

$15/month 12 11.32%

$10/month 30 28.30%

$5/month 10 9.43%

More than $20/month 5 4.72%

I wouldn't pay for this 28 26.42%

Total:106

Nintendo really needs to make a Netflix-like service. I've said it since the Wii U started to collapse.

I'm pretty sure they can make more money with a service instead of charging $4-8 a game. Something like this:

$A a year offers all NES games available
$B a year offers all SNES games available
$C a year offers all N64 games available

Make a special bundle where it's $X if you buy all three together.

Around the Network

Nowt. I prefer having my games library how I see fit. Renting games isn't in the cards for me, I'd rather buy them once and never have to pay again.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

PS Now can be had for less than $10/month on a good sale, which is very appealing to me. I just don't feel the need yet. Some day game streaming (with the infrastructure to match) could be almost preferable to native, though. Also been tempted by Origin Access but already own most of what I'd play.

I think a Netflix type service will become the main gaming platform some day as internet speeds increase.

Game hardcore will initially thumb their noses at it, but the general game market will jump on it and it frees them from having to buy expensive hardware ever again.

It's the same thing that happened with Netflix movie streaming, movie buffs at first said "no one is going to use Netflix streaming, you can't even get new releases, I'd rather buy a DVD and have my own collection" ... but it turns out the general market had something else to say.

Nothing, I prefer to own my games.

Around the Network

When they start adding ps4 games to ps now and lower the pricing to 99 a year or 1499 a month... it'll take off

mM

Nothing. I don't use any streaming services whatsoever.

It would really depend on how quickly new games are added to the service. In order for a service like that to be attractive in gaming, you'd have to make sure that hot new releases are on there day 1, because nobody wants to wait months or something to jump into their most anticipated titles of the year. That goes especially for online heavy games, where people would feel they're missing out to their friends who bought the game the old fashion way and are already enjoying it, plus getting a leg up on them in progression.

The problem is, how do you convince publishers to sign up for that? Can the appeal of getting a certain percentage cut of the program year round, all the time, outweigh or offset the money they see from front loaded preorder business on their blockbuster titles? If not, would they adjust for this by implementing more microtransactions, or splitting up regular retail titles into smaller, cheaper packages, that don't come together to form the whole game until sometime after the initial release?

And if the service is intended simply for past games, not new ones, then I suppose it's nice, but you're only ever pitching to a fairly small market of player, because chances are most people already own, or otherwise played most of the games they were interested in back then. Unless they got a brand new system and the games in question are exclusive, which is again an even smaller pool of potential customers.

So.....idk. In theory, I'm down for a huge, Netflix style, gaming streaming service, and would pay somewhere between 10-20 bucks a month for it....but you'd really have to nail it, and in today's market, I'm not exactly sure how it would work.

If I had access to better internet, I'd definitely use PSNOW. I already have ps+.

No interest in the rest.

At most, $5 per month. I like replaying games later, so I want to own them. In streaming services, content can disappear any time, and to access any of it, you still have to pay. Besides, I'm patient and I can wait for games' prices to drop, so because of that too, streaming services aren't worth very much to me.