By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles and Their Wannabe Resolution.

This is a huge joke I have to witness in the recent days. 

The Nintendo Switch can do 720p undocked and 1080p docked. Well, not always because it has the ability to lower the resolution to keep the frames mostly at a solid level. 

The PS4 Pro was announced as a 4k home console. Well, it uses a checkerboard upscaler to reach the external output resolution of 4k. 

Xbox One X is being claimed by Microsoft as the most powerful console to date for TRUE 4k entertainment, well, it seems that some games are also being upscaled, because they can't render at a native 4k resolution.

Is this supposed to be a joke? 

No, seriously. What is going on? 

All I am reading is:

"I can do 4k"
"No, that's not REAL 4k! I can do 4K which is the TRUE 4K, OK?
"No, but you are cheating, too. You also use an upscaler for some of your games like I do."
"Shut up!"
"No, you shut up!"
"Guys, I can at least do real 1080p"
Both "No you can't". 

Sorry, but, I need to get off some steam. This is just driving me nuts.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

It's like back in the days with Nintendo vs Sega.

"I CAN DO BLAST PROCESSING!"

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Nobody Cares

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

It really is quite silly that console makers don't let us choose which resolutions we want.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
It really is quite silly that console makers don't let us choose which resolutions we want.

That is evidently a choice left to developers given some games do allow that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:

It's a choice left to the developer on any platform that isn't PC, where for some reason it's magically possible to choose.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's a choice left to the developer on any platform that isn't PC, where for some reason it's magically possible to choose.

Again, some games do let you choose. Nier for example comes to mind.

PS4 Pro titles have also allowed people to choose between resolution/graphics and performance.

You blamed the "console makers," but its the developers that choose.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Personnally, I think 720p as a handheld should be the minimum.
And 1080p minimum for a home console.

So I'll get a PS4 pro with my 4K TV and I have a PC.

But I kind of don't care for if a console can't hit 4k. It's just too expensive to do right now.

vivster said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's still a developers choice on PC, it's just they'd be beheaded if they didn't include those options on PC, and if they didn't there'd be work-arounds for it. If developers want to include resolution-options on consoles they're free to do so, they just don't bother because it's not expected.

The resolution of console games have always been often below TV resolution, since the NES days and before.

I think maybe the PS4 and the Wii had most of their games on their purported resolution, but besides those...