By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles and Their Wannabe Resolution.

Well, even my PS3 games on my TV will be 4k... but yes their spins to say the console is 4k is quite funny.

And some games really do let you choose some graphical settings. But one of the reasons for the efficiency on console developement is keeping a single option and optmiizing it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Well, for the Switch, it was never said every game would be 720p/1080p. Sometimes devs just want to push the system more, or their game may not be optimized well, so they choose to go lower with the res to bump up the graphics/framerate.

The Pro is just a mid-gen upgrade created to make better use of 4K TVs, not pump everything out at 4K. Sony made that clear from the beginning. Even talking about checkerboard rendering and what it does.

Personally, I think the only one who should get flack is MS. They are the ones advertising the X as the "True 4K console," which is actually a lie, since most 3rd party games will probably be very similar to the Pro's resolution and framerate, including using checkerboard rendering.

For the real "True 4K console," you'd probably have to wait til the PS5 comes out. Even then, I doubt Sony will say every game HAS to be 4K. They'll probably allow devs to still use checkerboard rendering if they want to push the visuals even more.

Switch at 720p is perfectly fine for the screen size.
To be fair Sony never announced the Pro as a 4k System. Resolution is a Joke in the console universe.
Its not Scorpio's fault Devs aren't going to use the extra power to achieve 4k.
I also love reading comments on how important it use to be especially at the start of this gen when gamers said 720p and 900p hurts there eyes.
I sit in my chair gaming in true 4k at home and than read how important gamers make it seem in console land. Its laughable.

thismeintiel said:
Well, for the Switch, it was never said every game would be 720p/1080p. Sometimes devs just want to push the system more, or their game may not be optimized well, so they choose to go lower with the res to bump up the graphics/framerate.

The Pro is just a mid-gen upgrade created to make better use of 4K TVs, not pump everything out at 4K. Sony made that clear from the beginning. Even talking about checkerboard rendering and what it does.

Personally, I think the only one who should get flack is MS. They are the ones advertising the X as the "True 4K console," which is actually a lie, since most 3rd party games will probably be very similar to the Pro's resolution and framerate, including using checkerboard rendering.

For the real "True 4K console," you'd probably have to wait til the PS5 comes out. Even then, I doubt Sony will say every game HAS to be 4K. They'll probably allow devs to still use checkerboard rendering if they want to push the visuals even more.

I dont believe you know what i lie is. If a Dev just plops a game on X1X without changing the resolution that doesnt make the X1X a lie haha. If the machine is capable of 4k which is it than thats all that matters. I own a GTX 1080 which can run 4k but guess what, not all my PC games have the 4k option :O Nvidea lied to me???? Looking at your profile pic, it says alot on why you think MS are lieing and the Pro isnt. Dont blame the hardware blame the devs.

Here is a good lie? When Sony themselves claimed Killzone SF Multiplayer rendered 1080p when it wasnt.

Ostro said:
It's all marketing, we should know by now.
The second the Xbox guys said it's so awesomely powerful and then showed graphics which slowly got worse scene by scene (when they switched from cinematic to in-game), showing a block of pixels as a pistol (looking like coming straight from 2002) in some game and totally unreal, stuttering animations I was just laughing at the whole briefing.
Of course, every game was in some way EXCLUSIVE as well so they could throw out that word every 15 seconds. Like, the Xbox version of this game is EXCLUSIVE to Xbox, omg!

You can't believe any numbers, they are all faked and polished in perfect environments. I wonder why gamers are still hyped for any and every screenshot of new games and especially stuff like E3.

There were some trully ugly games on stage. And the "Xbox One X enhanced" was quite silly. Or saying minecraft 4k. That game is still ugly as hell and visually looks worse than a PS1 game to me.

vivster said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're putting the blame on console makers. Hence, your argument never made sense because developers can choose.

Not all the blame. But since it is apparent that console developers won't do it unless they're forced, console makers drawing a line would be a great first step.

Never good to force others. They may just create some options that will just be garbage or just leave the platform out. Nintendo tarnished their relationship with 3rd parties forcing situation.

thismeintiel said:

Yes even on the reveal it was clear that they wanted better PSVR performance and improved resolution to be prettier on 4K TV, but would accept that devs launched same game on PS4 and PS4Pro as long as it was over 1080p. And how checkerboard would allow for better resolution on smaller computational budget.

And the "prettier pixels" and 4k console on X1S was ridiculous.

And now the PS4Pro competes with X1S because X1X is on a class of it own because it's 40% more powerfull than PS4Pro, and ignores that PS4Pro is 200% more powerfull than X1S...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
thismeintiel said:

I dont believe you know what i lie is. If a Dev just plops a game on X1X without changing the resolution that doesnt make the X1X a lie haha. If the machine is capable of 4k which is it than thats all that matters. I own a GTX 1080 which can run 4k but guess what, not all my PC games have the 4k option :O Nvidea lied to me???? Looking at your profile pic, it says alot on why you think MS are lieing and the Pro isnt. Dont blame the hardware blame the devs.

Herew is a good lie? When Sony themselves claimed Killzone SF Multiplayer to render 1080p when it wasnt.

So, I guess the Pro is the first True 4K console, then.

Yea 4k isn't coming until next gen... If it's hard to achieve 4k on PC even with top of the line cards (at least at 60fps + ultra settings), it's not gonna be achieved by a $400-$500 box without compromises regardless of how magical people think these boxes are.

My guess is that it is due to the way they implemented the Memory Bandwidth since AMD has done a similar implementation way back during the 7xxx series which did not pay out very much. According to AnandTech, if you cut out the amount of memory bandwidth that has been added by this implementation, the amount that is left is around 218GB/s instead of 326GB/s which is more around ps4 pro's level. And Memory Bandwidth is really important when it comes to 4k gaming as well as having a large pool of Vram which the xbox one X has checked.

All in all, people more or less saw this coming. What I didn't realize when I made my prediction of it being able to run most games at 4k is how the bandwidth was implemented due to limited information. We will see how it all pans out in the end though.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11250/microsofts-project-scorpio-more-hardware-details-revealed

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Yea 4k isn't coming until next gen... If it's hard to achieve 4k on PC even with top of the line cards (at least at 60fps + ultra settings), it's not gonna be achieved by a $400-$500 box without compromises regardless of how magical people think these boxes are.

My guess is that it is due to the way they implemented the Memory Bandwidth since AMD has done a similar implementation way back during the 7xxx series which did not pay out very much. According to AnandTech, if you cut out the amount of memory bandwidth that has been added by this implementation, the amount that is left is around 220GB/s instead of 326GB/s which is more around ps4 pro's level. And Memory Bandwidth is really important when it comes to 4k gaming as well as having a large pool of Vram which the xbox one X has checked.

All in all, people more or less saw this coming. What I didn't realize when I made my prediction of it being able to run most games at 4k is how the bandwidth was implemented due to limited information. We will see how it all pans out in the end though.

What implementation and if it doesn't add much why was it added? Just to show a pretty number?

xl-klaudkil said:
Nobody Cares

Go the comment sections of DF videos; lets just say the comments there are a little... cancerous.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

DonFerrari said:
Captain_Yuri said:

My guess is that it is due to the way they implemented the Memory Bandwidth since AMD has done a similar implementation way back during the 7xxx series which did not pay out very much. According to AnandTech, if you cut out the amount of memory bandwidth that has been added by this implementation, the amount that is left is around 220GB/s instead of 326GB/s which is more around ps4 pro's level. And Memory Bandwidth is really important when it comes to 4k gaming as well as having a large pool of Vram which the xbox one X has checked.

What implementation and if it doesn't add much why was it added? Just to show a pretty number?

You can read more here since it is quite a deep analysis.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11250/microsofts-project-scorpio-more-hardware-details-revealed

Remember that he didn't have the actual hardware at the time however due to the details from DF and etc, he did make a pretty well educated guess as to what was happening and really, as we are starting to see, his guesses were right so far.

"What makes things especially interesting though is that Microsoft didn’t just switch out DDR3 for GDDR5, but they’re using a wider memory bus as well; expanding it by 50% to 384-bits wide. Not only does this even further expand the console’s memory bandwidth – now to a total of 326GB/sec, or 4.8x the XB1’s DDR3 – but it means we have an odd mismatch between the ROP backends and the memory bus. Briefly, the ROP backends and memory bus are typically balanced 1-to-1 in a GPU, so a single memory controller will feed 1 or two ROP partitions. However in this case, we have a 384-bit bus feeding 32 ROPs, which is not a compatible mapping."

"What this means is that at some level, Microsoft is running an additional memory crossbar in the SoC, which would be very similar to what AMD did back in 2012 with the Radeon HD 7970. Because the console SoC needs to split its memory bandwidth between the CPU and the GPU, things aren’t as cut and dry here as they are with discrete GPUs. But, at a high level, what we saw from the 7970 is that the extra bandwidth + crossbar setup did not offer much of a benefit over a straight-connected, lower bandwidth configuration. Accordingly, AMD has never done it again in their dGPUs. So I think it will be very interesting to see if developers can consistently consume more than 218GB/sec or so of bandwidth using the GPU."

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850