By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Year 1 - Week 52 - Global Switch Sales vs WiiU/XboxOne/3DS/PS4

TalonMan said:
Is this a good thread to wonder aloud, what's going to happen during weeks #39-43 (11/26 through 12/24)? According to my math, those same weeks ought to correspond to 8/10/2014 through 9/7/2015 during the PS4 launch year (typically some of the slowest months for consoles in general).

Do we think the Switch can catch up and/or surpass the PS4's numbers from that time (10.5 million)???

Btw - that's a fairly big bump for the PS4 on week #44 (jump from 150k to 600k) which should have been around 9/14, by my calculation. Anybody know if it was due to something "big" coming out that week or whether it was a price cut? Again - I'm just too damn LAZY to do my own research, and figured some of you guys would likely be able to answer this without my having to dig around... :)

For your first question: As it currently stands, Switch passing PS4 on week 43 is quite possible. If Nintendo adjusts their fiscal year projection up by any amount when they release the quarterly report on October 30th, then I'd say it's a sure thing.

For your second question: That was the week when Destiny released.

Around the Network

That's a lot of Nintendo hardware.

Retagging for the epic weeks to follow. Let's see if Switch can catch up or even overtake the PS4.

Can't wait for this week's numbers.

guiduc said:

Agreed, Switch has a chance to be in front of 3DS since the pricecut (of 3DS) although I think that will take one or two more weeks. it should continue to outdo PS4 until week 29, which will be difficult.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
guiduc said:

Agreed, Switch has a chance to be in front of 3DS since the pricecut (of 3DS) although I think that will take one or two more weeks. it should continue to outdo PS4 until week 29, which will be difficult.

Yeah, the PS4 got a nice bump there, was there a big game release?

After that, Switch should be in front until week 44 (Destiny release), at which point the holiday season for the Switch is over and the PS4 will push forward again.

Week of September 2nd is up.

Switch hardware falling the same week a new Mario game releases (in the West)

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

guiduc said:

Not beating 3DS (which was still hard to achieve, next week probably also the 3DS is in front, agfter that they should compete hard). But another 50K taken out of PS4s lead.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
guiduc said:

Not beating 3DS (which was still hard to achieve, next week probably also the 3DS is in front, agfter that they should compete hard). But another 50K taken out of PS4s lead.

I feel like Switch's market penetration in Europe is insufficient right now. Nintendo can count itself lucky that Japan is making up for it.

Japan can prove itself a valuable asset when it comes to tapping into its portable market.